Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #21
Platinum Member

IMO, as long as you ditch the propane frig, the rest of the stuff like hot water, furnace, output for gas grill and stove, are simple and reliable and clean burning and the tank last quite long unless you are heating in really cold weather. We would chose to get propane on new unit, as we want it for the cooking outdoors without the irritating little bottles, and might as well use it for the rest of the stuff, except the frig.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:54 AM   #22

So we ended up purchasing the 2018 E-trek. We drove over 1000 miles back home to Albuquerque without any issues. Batteries looked to be in good shape - 13.7 volts each. (today they are totally dead as I left them on this week).
Only problems were that the freshwater Shurflo pump won't move water. The pump turns on though. Any ideas? Also we couldn't figure out the Diesel Alde system so even when we had good water flow from the city at our campground there was no hot water. Thoughts? Overall it still smells new and we slept well. Thanks for everyone's input.
cnairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:04 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Congrats on your purchase. Problems are pretty par for the course.

I'll only address the water pump problem as I have no experience with your Etrek system or diesel furnaces.

The water pump should self prime, so make sure there is fresh water in the tank (I had to ask it). You say the pump is running, but do you get any water or air from the faucets? If the tanks were drained for the winter and recently refilled, you can get a lot of air that has to be "bled" from the water lines by opening all faucets. Sometimes mine has taken several minutes with alternating sputters of water and air from both sinks and the outside shower handles. Even then, after driving a bit it will dislodge another bubble or air.

If your sureflow model is like mine, it has a screen to catch debris before it enters the pump. I could be clogged. Not that hard to check and mine needs no tools to remove. You just pull up on the blue tabs to release the screen at the pump. Yes, it's a wonder it doesn't leak all the time.

Just make sure there is no pressure in the lines, keep a towel handy for dribbles, and pull the screen out and check it. It may be in a hard to reach location, so be ready for that.

If all works well, the water pump will reach it's preset pressure and then only run when there is demand at an open faucet. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Airstream Water Pump Filter clean.jpg (281.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Airstream Water Pump Filter removal.jpg (367.9 KB, 4 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:38 AM   #24

Thanks for the info. Maybe I just didn't leave the pump on long enough. It has been sitting on a lot for several months probably. We filled the water tank (It would be just like me to overlook that!) The pump seems to be on but I have opened the bathroom and kitchen faucets for several seconds but nothing at all. I will try longer. I did take out the pump and take it apart including cleaning the strainer but still nothing.
cnairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #25
Gold Member

Congrats on your purchase and happy trails! If the Alde is similar to the Webasto it takes about 45 min to heat up to the point we get hot water. It may take longer as it seems like it uses glycol and there must be some kind of heat exchanger for water.

In our 2015 the furnace control is reachable from bed and I turn it on as soon as waking up.

The battery drain does not sound right. We have parked for a week using DC for fridge, lights, and to run pump and heater and been good. After driving for 1000 miles your battery bank should have been charged up. Just having the battery switch on should not drain that fast. If the converter was on it will drain the bank dedicated to 110v fairly quickly.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Water pumps are sensitive to any debris, they are positive displacement membrane pumps as long as there is nothing preventing good seal. These pumps are rebuildable.

Regarding hot water from Alde you need working Shurflo pump to push hot water from hot water tank to faucets or shower. Hot water tank is in direct contact with glycol so if you glycol is hot water must be hot as well.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/...ter-management
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote