Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2022, 04:38 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I was happy to see that PW has finally switched to the 12v fridge (didn't check all models). I glanced through the Ontour specs. They have had lithiums for some years now, and have added solar, 2000w inverter, truma hot water and heat (but separate units rather than the combo unit), new supposedly quiet Onan with auto start, power monitoring system.

I don't think they are old school anymore... not as of the last couple years.
The 2020 PW I mentioned in post #5 is pretty much up to date. Only thing missing are door screens and only 95W solar. I can deal with both.
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:19 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsteve View Post
I wasn't aware there were installation instructions from PW. Is it on their website?
The installation instructions must be requested from PW. You will need to register with them once you have the last 6 digits of your van. You can than email them. Ask them whatever you want. They usually answer within 24 hours unless closed for holiday.

PW provides lots of support for van owners even for non original owners. I have mostly found the answers to be correct. The accuracy will depend upon the person responding. Phil Nickels is their top technician. If you get a response from him, it will be dead on. He has been there for decades?
Old 02-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
The installation instructions must be requested from PW. You will need to register with them once you have the last 6 digits of your van. You can than email them. Ask them whatever you want. They usually answer within 24 hours unless closed for holiday.

PW provides lots of support for van owners even for non original owners. I have mostly found the answers to be correct. The accuracy will depend upon the person responding. Phil Nickels is their top technician. If you get a response from him, it will be dead on. He has been there for decades?
Perfect. I have the vin of the one I may buy, so that's great info,
Thanks
Old 02-05-2022, 07:57 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Perfect. I have the vin of the one I may buy, so that's great info,
Thanks
You can also join the FB PW forum. Administrator will ask for vin information. Once you get accepted. You can either post the question of owner installation on your year and model. You might not get much information since your van mostly came equipped with the Rolef. I think Canada Dream orders them without screens because the cost and maintenance. You can also do a search in the files section. Maybe someone else with your year/model have ventured into installing themselves?
Old 02-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Quote:
You can also join the FB PW forum. Administrator will ask for vin information. Once you get accepted. You can either post the question of owner installation on your year and model. You might not get much information since your van mostly came equipped with the Rolef. I think Canada Dream orders them without screens because the cost and maintenance. You can also do a search in the files section. Maybe someone else with your year/model have ventured into installing themselves?
The one I'm looking at is a former Canada Dream van and does not have screens. Are, in fact, the PW screens Rolefs?
Old 02-05-2022, 09:28 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
The one I'm looking at is a former Canada Dream van and does not have screens. Are, in fact, the PW screens Rolefs?
PW installs Rolefs on their vans. I do not know if they are a option or not. My 2016 did not come screens but I do not know since I am the second owner.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:34 PM   #27
Bronze Member

Quote:
PW installs Rolefs on their vans. I do not know if they are a option or not. My 2016 did not come screens but I do not know since I am the second owner.
Screens are standard now. At least on the Ontour and Plateau since 2020.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:50 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Screens are standard now. At least on the Ontour and Plateau since 2020.
Since it is now standard equipment. You may have to get the installation instructions directly from PW. Rolef will probably not have the installation instructions since most all vans come with these screens. I am sure PW can help you out. You may still find someone on FB with your model/yr van who did the install themselves?
Old 02-10-2022, 03:51 PM   #29

I have a 2020 coachmen beyond 22C with bench seating. The bed is A180 bed which lays completely flat so there's no lump or separation in the bench. It isn't automatic bed. Full size gel foam bedliner is perfect. I love the layout.
Glamper Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 05:04 PM   #30

Default Very happy with Coachmen

I bought a 2019 Coachmen Crossfit (Beyond) 3 years ago. I’ve been very happy with it. The Transit chassis was important to me and was not offered by PW at the time. That being said, had the Ontour been available at that time I might have bought it instead. I think you’d be happy with either one.
Jfhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:05 PM   #31
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper Jan View Post
I have a 2020 coachmen beyond 22C with bench seating. The bed is A180 bed which lays completely flat so there's no lump or separation in the bench. It isn't automatic bed. Full size gel foam bedliner is perfect. I love the layout.
So, you added the bed liner or it's part of the model you bought?
Old 02-12-2022, 02:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. I'll look into Embassy but do want a van by Spring.
Yes, P-Ws are hard to find. One not too far away that was originally a rental by a Canadian outfit. Great service records so maybe I'll go take a look. No screens for doors which is a negative but suppose I could add.
Thanks again,
Steve
We flew from Nevada to Kansas to purchase a used 2021.5 PW OnTour 2.0 after comparing PW's to the Coachmen Beyond. I agree with some comments that Coachmen has more tech than PW, but the craftsmanship on the PW is what sealed the deal for us. BTW, ours came with Rolef screens so if you purchase one without screens, just know there is a quality option out there for you to add later. Good luck!
Icyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:17 AM   #33
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icyblue View Post
We flew from Nevada to Kansas to purchase a used 2021.5 PW OnTour 2.0 after comparing PW's to the Coachmen Beyond. I agree with some comments that Coachmen has more tech than PW, but the craftsmanship on the PW is what sealed the deal for us. BTW, ours came with Rolef screens so if you purchase one without screens, just know there is a quality option out there for you to add later. Good luck!
Thanks. Sent you a private message.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:25 PM   #34
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icyblue View Post
By chance are you in Northern Nevada? There are no PW's to be seen around here and my wife and I would love to see yours.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:25 PM   #35
Bronze Member

Thought I'd repost this.
I've found a Coachmen Beyond 22C for sale. Still a little concerned about reviews for Coachmen. This is a 2021 AWD with all the bells, buttons and whistles. Low mileage.
Any comments positive or negative?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-17-2022, 07:48 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thought I'd repost this.
I've found a Coachmen Beyond 22C for sale. Still a little concerned about reviews for Coachmen. This is a 2021 AWD with all the bells, buttons and whistles. Low mileage.
Any comments positive or negative?
Thanks,
Steve
You have to decide for yourself. I believe PW craftsmanship is the best for production levels vans. PW provides a 5 yr warranty. In the fine print, appliances and equipment have their own warranties. PW puts the van together well but components may not be better than any other brand?

If the price is right, floor plan suitable for you, I would purchase it. Why? In this market, you may be waiting a long time for the next available van. Unless you have owned multiple RVs, you will find there will be improvements and upgrades you want. After 4.5 years, I have gone many changes and upgrades. Almost done for now.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:08 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
After 4.5 years, I have gone many changes and upgrades. Almost done for now.
Famous last words.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:47 PM   #38
Platinum Member

We have had a Coachmen Beyond 22RB for about a year. It did have it's share of rattles, but a few drives, a little felt, and a little foam has taken care of 90% of them. You can't really get around the fact that it's a truck at heart will not take a large freeway bump like a Lexus.

I like the Ford chassis. We are getting about 13 MPH.

From what I have seen, the PW quality might be a bit better, but I will say we really like the components that Coachmen chooses. Really nice window coverings, shades, refrigerator, cabinets, etc.

But our priorty was floorplan--kind of a touch choice. Do you want a bit higher quality or a floorplan you really like. For us, the Rear Bath is really our preference.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:28 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wasn't aware there were installation instructions from PW. Is it on their website?
Both Rolef and PW have videos. Make you get the directions and instructions specific for you model. Also if Rolef has videos of your specific install, use them. PW has them but I found they have since deleted some unnecessary steps so video is a bit outdated.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Study the videos specifically to your van from both Rolef and PW. I found they vary and sometimes installation varies between installers. PW added a couple of extra steps. I asked Rolef and they said really not necessary.

You can always add extra screws if you want to secure the screens. Originally thought too many screws so I deleted a couple. After I saw the screen shifted a little(maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch), I added 3 more screws.

The wood screws were easy to drill and seat. The sheet metal screws not so much. They do not drill into rounded metal supports too well. If you find this happening in maybe 3-4 spots. I would stop and drill a pilot hole then proceed with placing the sheet metal screw.
As someone who has extensive training in evaluating structural damage in motor vehicles, I would caution anyone from drilling holes into the pillars of a van. This will compromise the integrity of the vehicle with reduced strength and safety in the event of a crash or rollover.
rdargenio is offline   Reply With Quote