Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Pleasure Way/Coachmen

Looking for 2020-21 of either of the two camper vans on the Ford chassis. Have seen many good reviews on the PW but Coachmen reviews are all over the place. Hoping some of you have experience or knowledge of either.
Comments please.
Steve
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:19 AM   #2
Silver Member

When we were shopping for our class B early last year, I had the opportunity to sit in a Coachmen Beyond, although I didn't test drive it. It was okay inside, serviceable, but I didn't have any superlative adjectives for it. When I finally had the opportunity to sit in the back of a Pleasure-Way, the difference in comfort was like night and day.

I do not consider myself qualified to really evaluate build quality, but I will state that after a year of Pleasure-Way ownership, I am very happy with the purchase. I think there is a reason why the Pleasure-Way reviews are consistently good, and The Coachmen reviews are more all over the map. I think that's a reflection of their manufacturing process and possible inconsistencies in build quality. In other words, you may get something good, or you may get a lemon with The Coachmen.

Note that I ultimately went with the Pleasure-Way Ascent, which is the Mercedes chassis, but the interior of the OnTour is virtually identical..

I think the biggest challenge you will find with Pleasure-Way is simply the limited inventory available.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsteve View Post
Looking for 2020-21 of either of the two camper vans on the Ford chassis. Have seen many good reviews on the PW but Coachmen reviews are all over the place. Hoping some of you have experience or knowledge of either.
Comments please.
Steve
They are similar yet very different vans. PW are made/built very well. Lots of attention to detail in electrical and plumbing. General craftsmanship is very, very good. Coachmen offers more updated technology with battery systems, etc. You will have to decide. I believe Coachmen is better for newer battery technologies,etc. Build quality may be OK to good depending upon when constructed.

Ultimately you have to decide what is more important to you. Technology or craftsmanship. In my opinion, PW should add more technology to their builds like Coachmen and Winnebago but with PW craftsmanship. That would be a huge win for the market. PW does not see the need to go this way?

I think Embassy RV can/will give you best of both worlds. Great craftsmanship and modern technology. I would look at them for a new van. Only issue is even fewer available vans to look at
Old 02-03-2022, 11:00 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I think Embassy RV can/will give you best of both worlds. Great craftsmanship and modern technology. I would look at them for a new van. Only issue is even fewer available vans to look at
That's why I ordered from them and will hopefully see my van some time this year, but they're not the solution for someone who wants a van NOW. If you want one in 2023 you'd be wise to put a deposit down today.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Thank you all for your replies. I'll look into Embassy but do want a van by Spring.
Yes, P-Ws are hard to find. One not too far away that was originally a rental by a Canadian outfit. Great service records so maybe I'll go take a look. No screens for doors which is a negative but suppose I could add.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 02-03-2022, 09:35 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. I'll look into Embassy but do want a van by Spring.
Yes, P-Ws are hard to find. One not too far away that was originally a rental by a Canadian outfit. Great service records so maybe I'll go take a look. No screens for doors which is a negative but suppose I could add.
Thanks again,
Steve
I have heard good things about Canada Dream. They really service their rental vans. Only difference, their vans tend to not have all options in standard PW line up. This is what I have read from the FB PW forum.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:05 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
I have heard good things about Canada Dream. They really service their rental vans. Only difference, their vans tend to not have all options in standard PW line up. This is what I have read from the FB PW forum.
Thanks for the reply. The seller has the complete maintenance file and it is quite impressive. Yes, there are a few items missing that I definitely want. The main one is screen doors. It does have an inverter but not sure about lithium batteries. Has solar but not sure about wattage. Propane stove vs. induction but I'm fine with that. Pretty sure it's 12v refrig.
We were always fine with just a generator but updated electrical/electronics would be nice.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The seller has the complete maintenance file and it is quite impressive. Yes, there are a few items missing that I definitely want. The main one is screen doors. It does have an inverter but not sure about lithium batteries. Has solar but not sure about wattage. Propane stove vs. induction but I'm fine with that. Pretty sure it's 12v refrig.
We were always fine with just a generator but updated electrical/electronics would be nice.
Screens are not a problem. You can order the home ones from Amazon. I believe they will custom cut for you. They have magnets to close behind you. Velcro to the frame. I used these for years. On one trip, the squirrels were so aggressive, they got into the van under my screen. I was in the van. The little guy would not leave until I chased him out. After this, I decided to spend the money and install the Rolef. I believe these come with vans purchased directly from PW. They are really excellent screens and very, very expensive. Are they worth it? You have to decide. It took me over three years to finally cough up the money! Or maybe I was choking when I learned of the price!
Old 02-04-2022, 05:00 AM   #9
Silver Member

I have a 2019 Crossfit/Beyond, Before purchasing I had looked at the Pleasureways and they are certainly a cut above in quality and workmanship.
I don't think Pleasureway was building on the Transit at the time I was looking. They were also stuck in the stone age with their old technology absorption refrigerator and generator with no option to upgrade.
My Cross fit and Transit have been problem free but l would consider the materials and workmanship more entry level with the exception of the cabinetry is very well made.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I also have a 2019 Coachmen Beyond (Crossfit)and concur that the cabinets are very well made. In my experience, the build quality is adequate for what was one of the lower cost campervans at that time - much lower cost than Roadtrek or Pleasueway and somewhat lower than Winnebago.

I've had issues with the fridge not venting properly (engineering issue, not build quality) with the wrong SuperSprings being installed (build quality). I've also had the refrigerator fail, a converter failure, and now have fading solar panels - all of which are related to the quality of the components they chose, not their build quality.

The Coachmen's use Truma Combi's, which is by far the best water heater/furnace setup available in a gas van. (I'll never buy a camper with a noisy conventional furnace again.)

In short, I'd buy from them again.

--Mike
Old 02-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

The additional floor plans could be the deciding factor for some, Coachmen.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:43 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Screens are not a problem. You can order the home ones from Amazon. I believe they will custom cut for you. They have magnets to close behind you. Velcro to the frame. I used these for years. On one trip, the squirrels were so aggressive, they got into the van under my screen. I was in the van. The little guy would not leave until I chased him out. After this, I decided to spend the money and install the Rolef. I believe these come with vans purchased directly from PW. They are really excellent screens and very, very expensive. Are they worth it? You have to decide. It took me over three years to finally cough up the money! Or maybe I was choking when I learned of the price!
I checked out the Rolef website and watched a bit of the installation video. Looks a bit tricky. What did you think?
Old 02-04-2022, 06:04 PM   #13
Platinum Member

There is some discussion about how to install the Rolef screen on the Travato FB group site. There are probably youtube videos too. Rolef seems very responsive to people asking for help and they will do it for you if you go to their factory. I have also heard that they sometimes go to rallies in the lower 48 to sell and install screens.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Thank you Snowy.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
I have a 2019 Crossfit/Beyond, Before purchasing I had looked at the Pleasureways and they are certainly a cut above in quality and workmanship.
I don't think Pleasureway was building on the Transit at the time I was looking. They were also stuck in the stone age with their old technology absorption refrigerator and generator with no option to upgrade.
My Cross fit and Transit have been problem free but l would consider the materials and workmanship more entry level with the exception of the cabinetry is very well made.
Pleasure-way is definitely old school in Class B technology reminiscent of my 2005 Pleasure-way but in an upgraded control way. I still don’t like all tell of vents, cabinets, fillers, plugs, etc. on the body of the van.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:52 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I still don’t like all tell of vents, cabinets, fillers, plugs, etc. on the body of the van.
As someone who gutted and restored a Class C I'm very conscious of leaks that lead to rust and rot. One of the strengths of a Class B is the lower number of leak points. I hate to see a watertight van poked full of holes. Another strength of a Class B is stealth. A big vent in the side just screams "motorhome".
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:33 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
I checked out the Rolef website and watched a bit of the installation video. Looks a bit tricky. What did you think?
Study the videos specifically to your van from both Rolef and PW. I found they vary and sometimes installation varies between installers. PW added a couple of extra steps. I asked Rolef and they said really not necessary.

You can always add extra screws if you want to secure the screens. Originally thought too many screws so I deleted a couple. After I saw the screen shifted a little(maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch), I added 3 more screws.

The wood screws were easy to drill and seat. The sheet metal screws not so much. They do not drill into rounded metal supports too well. If you find this happening in maybe 3-4 spots. I would stop and drill a pilot hole then proceed with placing the sheet metal screw.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
I also have a 2019 Coachmen Beyond (Crossfit)and concur that the cabinets are very well made. In my experience, the build quality is adequate for what was one of the lower cost campervans at that time - much lower cost than Roadtrek or Pleasueway and somewhat lower than Winnebago.

I've had issues with the fridge not venting properly (engineering issue, not build quality) with the wrong SuperSprings being installed (build quality). I've also had the refrigerator fail, a converter failure, and now have fading solar panels - all of which are related to the quality of the components they chose, not their build quality.

The Coachmen's use Truma Combi's, which is by far the best water heater/furnace setup available in a gas van. (I'll never buy a camper with a noisy conventional furnace again.)

In short, I'd buy from them again.

--Mike
PW uses the same appliances most other builders use. PW plumbing and electrical is excellent. They really do a great job with their engineering and installation. Having said this. Some of these appliances are/were not the greatest. I have upgraded the overhead AC, water heater, battery bank, inverter, generator and in process of converting refrigerator.

I like the modern/better technology after initial bugs are worked out.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:39 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Quote:
Study the videos specifically to your van from both Rolef and PW. I found they vary and sometimes installation varies between installers. PW added a couple of extra steps. I asked Rolef and they said really not necessary.

You can always add extra screws if you want to secure the screens. Originally thought too many screws so I deleted a couple. After I saw the screen shifted a little(maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch), I added 3 more screws.

The wood screws were easy to drill and seat. The sheet metal screws not so much. They do not drill into rounded metal supports too well. If you find this happening in maybe 3-4 spots. I would stop and drill a pilot hole then proceed with placing the sheet metal screw.
I wasn't aware there were installation instructions from PW. Is it on their website?
Old 02-05-2022, 04:24 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I was happy to see that PW has finally switched to the 12v fridge (didn't check all models). I glanced through the Ontour specs. They have had lithiums for some years now, and have added solar, 2000w inverter, truma hot water and heat (but separate units rather than the combo unit), new supposedly quiet Onan with auto start, power monitoring system.

I don't think they are old school anymore... not as of the last couple years.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote