Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 04:10 AM   #1

Default Roadtrek E-trek question

I'm considering purchasing a 2015 e-Trek; doing some online research I'm finding a few posts where owners are not pleased at all with their units. I did test drive it and the ABS and ESP lights came on. I do think the ABS was an actual warning that it needed service. I'm not sure if the ESP light just meant the Electronic Stabiltiy Program was activated. The unit does not have that many miles on it so I think (and hope) they would be under the MB warranty of 6 years and 100,000 miles... then again I'm not sure
Are there any owners that are pleased with their E-treks? Or should I stay away from it? What should I look for?

Thanks for any advice or information that you can share will be greatly appreciated.
fxscanlan@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We have been very happy with our 2015 Etrek since we bought it used a year ago. It is a great travel vehicle and we love arriving with fully charged batteries and zero set up beyond putting down the couch and putting up the curtains. We never use hookups. With the macerator, the dump station process is quick and painless.

The general warranty on the Sprinter is only three years and the Roadtrek 6 year warranties lapsed when the company went into receivership. The new owners are providing a more limited two-year warranty, so it still doesn't apply to units that old.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #3

Ross- Thanks for the response. Did your 2015 come with Lithium batteries? Did it have the battery balancer that is supposed to help keep the batteries charged? I understand there was a recall for the second row captains chairs. Was that much of an issue to get resolved?
Old 09-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We have 8 AGM batteries and there is a balancer under the driver's side back bench seat. As far as I know they are the original batteries. We assumed we would need to replace them at some point, but there have been zero problems with them so that doesn't appear imminent.

We have not done anything with the captain's chairs. The problem was discovered by the receiver and its not clear how it will be resolved or whether there is any money from the bankruptcy sale to pay for it. Execs for the new Roadtrek company say they are working on a retrofit so a technical fix sounds likely. How it will be paid for is up in the air. If I were buying now, I would consider that a likely future cost.

To be clear, there have never been any reported problems with the seats. A whistle blower alerted the receiver to the fact that they were not installed as pull tested. As a result,the receiver had them tested and they failed. The seatbelts on the captains chairs are attached to the seats. So in an accident the seat has to hold well enough to restrain all the weight of the passenger.

I would be hesitant to travel regularly with large adults in those seats. Since we rarely have passengers, it isn't a big concern for us. If we did, we could always use the back sofa which is not part of the recall.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #5

Thanks Again for the prompt response. The reason we want the captains charis is primarily for our grandchildrem so that would present a problem
Old 09-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
We have 8 AGM batteries and there is a balancer under the driver's side back bench seat. As far as I know they are the original batteries. We assumed we would need to replace them at some point, but there have been zero problems with them so that doesn't appear imminent.

We have not done anything with the captain's chairs. The problem was discovered by the receiver and its not clear how it will be resolved or whether there is any money from the bankruptcy sale to pay for it. Execs for the new Roadtrek company say they are working on a retrofit so a technical fix sounds likely. How it will be paid for is up in the air. If I were buying now, I would consider that a likely future cost.

To be clear, there have never been any reported problems with the seats. A whistle blower alerted the receiver to the fact that they were not installed as pull tested. As a result,the receiver had them tested and they failed. The seatbelts on the captains chairs are attached to the seats. So in an accident the seat has to hold well enough to restrain all the weight of the passenger.

I would be hesitant to travel regularly with large adults in those seats. Since we rarely have passengers, it isn't a big concern for us. If we did, we could always use the back sofa which is not part of the recall.
How do you deal with winterization since that model requires the user to turn off water to the .webasto before adding antifreeze and as part of the winterization process? I am having a problem even finding a shop that knows what the Webasto is and how to winterize with it. Any I
Comments will be greatly appreciated,
Johnarach@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnarach@aol.com View Post
How do you deal with winterization since that model requires the user to turn off water to the .webasto before adding antifreeze and as part of the winterization process? I am having a problem even finding a shop that knows what the Webasto is and how to winterize with it. Any I

Welcome to the forum John!

I don't have your model, but there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:55 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek E-trek question

Quote:
How do you deal with winterization since that model requires the user to turn off water to the .webasto before adding antifreeze and as part of the winterization process?

I have a 2013 E-Trek with about 98,000 miles on it. The original 8 AGM batteries (with an equalizer) are doing fine after 6.5 years, surpassing my expectations. I use an air compressor to winterize (blow water out of all pipes including the Webasto and the instant hot water tank), then dump all tanks, then pour some RV antifreeze down each drain and the toilet, then run some antifreeze thru the macerator. Never had a problem in temperatures down to about -15F. This differs from the Roadtrek recommendation, but is easy and works well.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
I have a 2013 E-Trek with about 98,000 miles on it. The original 8 AGM batteries (with an equalizer) are doing fine after 6.5 years, surpassing my expectations. I use an air compressor to winterize (blow water out of all pipes including the Webasto and the instant hot water tank), then dump all tanks, then pour some RV antifreeze down each drain and the toilet, then run some antifreeze thru the macerator. Never had a problem in temperatures down to about -15F. This differs from the Roadtrek recommendation, but is easy and works well.
Thank you so very much, so you just leave the pipes open under the rv? So what about the dump feature for wabasto ..will it expel all of the antifreeze? I thank you so so much for your information. I also read that the pipes are rather delicate and a compressor is pretty tough on them. Do you use a special compressor or maybe even a bike pump. I have to disclose, I am Judy RACH, John has had a major medical episode ..is unable to deal with the RV so it is on me. Thanks again, Judy
Johnarach@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:25 PM   #10
Platinum Member

A pressure regulated compressor is best when using the blow-out winterization method. Mine fits under the sofa so I can take it with me to re-winterize before return trips to freezing weather. I set my compressor pressure to 25-30psi and use an adapter to attach it to the city water input. That pressure will not harm the pipes, but will blow out the water.

I do not use the plumbing bypass valves for the Webasto, which are very inconveniently located under the van. Regarding the Webasto dump valve, the quickest method is to open the dump valve, let the water drain out, close the dump valve, then blow out the hot water pipes.

Seems like a competent RV service center could take care of this for you.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Arlo has it right. Use compressed air. The technique of introducing antifreeze into the fresh system is a ridiculous habit that somehow got established in the RV culture. Blowing it out properly is better in every way--as long as it is done properly. The web is full of "how to" tutorials.

I can't imagine what you mean about your pipes being "delicate". Aren't they PEX like all other modern rigs? PEX is the opposite of delicate. The only potential issue is an incorrectly-installed fitting. But if I had one of those, I would like to know about it ASAP. Better to have it fail in your driveway than during a trip.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:31 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just followed the directions in the Roadtrek manual in the order stated. The webasto hot water tank automatically empties itself when the temperature gets low -well above freezing. But you can manually do that as well when you winterize. The shutoffs for the webasto underneath are not very convenient and were certainly the most difficult part of winterizing and dewinterizing.

I have not used an air compressor at all, but I think that is how the dealer did it when I had it winterized before I picked it up. There are lots of people who have used it without problems. I am leery of both the possibility of damaging the pipes (unlikely) and small amounts of water getting left in the pipes that eventually pool somewhere and freeze, breaking the pipe. Having anti-freeze in the pipes seems safer.

Did you get a Webasto duo-top operating manual with yours? If not, they are available for download on their web site. They also have a more technical service manual available. I have not needed any service, so I have no idea whether Roadtrek dealers are able to fix them. I suspect not, at least not in some cases.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #13
Bronze Member

I have a 2015. CS etrek with 8 AGM batteries. I installed battery balancer/equalizer myself without difficulty. I placed mine in the back behind the Alde radiator and it works fine with less of a wire run to the batteries. There has been a recall on some of the equilizers, so you might check to see if 1) there is a balancer and 2) it isn’t one of the ones recalled.

I am happy with my etrek with AGM batteries. I replaced my batteries at the same time I installed the balancer, which was in 2016.
hdevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #14

I use my Roadtrek in the winter so I keep some antifreeze in the fresh water tank so I can flush the toilet. It's important to isolate the Webasto as outlined in the Roadtrek manual so it doesn't dump the antifreeze every time the temperature drops below 39 degrees.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
I use my Roadtrek in the winter so I keep some antifreeze in the fresh water tank so I can flush the toilet.
We just keep a jug of antifreeze in the bathroom. I am afraid when it gets -20F the rv fluid will turn solid and block the pipes. So we buy a bottle of -75 rv antifreeze to use when it gets cold enough to turn the -50 stuff to slush.

I agree on the Webasto, but it may be an argument in favor of using forced air and not putting antifreeze in the fresh water system at all. Getting underneath our rig to get at those valves is not easy.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #16

We bought a 2015 Etrek Jan 2018; 8 AGMs, Battery Equalizer. We were third owners and previous owners did not use much. We bought the Etrek to see if we would like RVing and were very happy with what we bought. After we purchased replaced or upgraded many items. Lifeline Batteries, and Roadtrek paid 50%. Following replaced by RT under warranty; Battery Equalizer, Underhood Alternator Bracket, Inverter Charger. We also had the RT factory take out the two rear Captains Seats and install cabinets which were actually a factory option. DISCLAIMER - the Etrek is for sale here in Florida, we bought a pre-owned Advanced RV
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote