Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #1

Default AGS question

I am looking at a Coachmen Beyond with AGS and the 12v A/C. I cannot afford the Lithium upgrade. I also like to travel to the southwest for hiking and some trails do not allow dogs. I will have to leave mine in the RV for maybe an hour or 2 at most to do a short hike without them. I have two questions. First will the 12V pro A/C run on the AGM house battery(for a short time) and then the generator kick in automatically to charge battery and run the A/C? If not can the generator with AGS be set to start and run when the A/C needs to run (based on temp in RV)?

Thank you I am a new RVer and my previous older class B did not have a generator.
Shiba Inu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Good questions. As I am not familiar with the 12v Air conditioner system, you can take anything below as possibly not applicable. However . . .

In general, only high-end factory lithium systems can be counted on to run your A/C. I wouldn't count on AGM batteries to be adequate for even running a 12v A/C like in the rig you're considering.

Running on a generator is the way to go. You'd want to be sure and test the generator regularly to ensure it will run dependably.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiba Inu View Post
I am looking at a Coachmen Beyond with AGS and the 12v A/C. I cannot afford the Lithium upgrade. I also like to travel to the southwest for hiking and some trails do not allow dogs. I will have to leave mine in the RV for maybe an hour or 2 at most to do a short hike without them. I have two questions. First will the 12V pro A/C run on the AGM house battery(for a short time) and then the generator kick in automatically to charge battery and run the A/C? If not can the generator with AGS be set to start and run when the A/C needs to run (based on temp in RV)?

Thank you I am a new RVer and my previous older class B did not have a generator.
About a year ago I listened to a Beyond 12v a/c running on the 1 and only agm battery, very very quiet. I think the battery was about 260 amp hours, don't recall. It would not surprise me to find that Coachmen stopped that practice and now only shorepower or generator.

I suggest that if you're serious about this, give them a call.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I run my Crossfit/Beyond generator and my Dometic AC all the time when I'm grocery shopping for the pups. New wireless technology let's you monitor the inside temperature with your phone and a mifi to keep them safe.
I would call Greg Legatt at Coachmen for the exact details on the new 12v AC. Better to get the correct information up front.

Good luck... I love my Crossfit
Coachmen Crossfit owner is offline   Reply With Quote