Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #21

I have 1997 PW and space matters, a lot. Used an 8 cup stainless steel purcolator when tent camping and now in the PW. Makes great coffee, easy to clean and I store energy bars inside when not in use. Gotta save space for boondocking. On a side note, I took out the microwave and Mr. Coffee units, attached doors and tripled my storage.
Don Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #22

Default AeroPress

One of my favorites is an AeroPress. I have a DeLonghi espresso maker hardwired into my campervan. I used it for 1 year and it already needs repaired. ($300+ down the drain) Decided to pull out my camping AeroPress which uses no electricity, perfect for boondocking and I think the coffee tastes as good as my espresso. Just heat water, pour into AeroPress, wait a couple minutes, stirring occasionally with the paddle and press. I'm going to remove the DeLonghi and recover my counterspace.

BTW: I don't bother bringing a kettle, just use a small pan already in my cooking supplies to save space. Also, the filters can be used repeatedly.

https://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Cof.../dp/B0047BIWSK
ForestLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:34 PM   #23
Bronze Member

We just use a 10 cup aluminum percolator from like Walmart. I works great. Hardest part is finding the round paper filters but I just order them on Amazon. I get up early and have a cup or 2 and put the rest in our thermos. Stove heat warms the camper and the steam smells good. Use it in our Roadtrek. Love that sweet Italian creamer. Tastes great in my hot oatmeal too.
vwmaniaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:51 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I'm not sure why some are trying to change your mind. You asked a question and you're on the right track. I full timed for over a year. I know it takes 12 minutes to start perking, and then I brew on low for another 10. (Using the larger burner) Mine is a 9 cup. Still looks like new and it has been used about 600-700 times. 4 1/2 stars with over 3000 ratings on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Isn't a Keurig simply a pour over coffee maker? We have a built in Keurig alway ready to go and as I already said two 12 oz. thermoses of coffee as fast as you can make a stop to fill your fuel tank at a service station or touch of a button on waking up. There are lots of brands of K-cups and Caribou breakfast blend is usually our go to but we carry others from light to dark depending on our mood and we don't always drink the same. Occasionally hot chocolate. I guess you can get recyclable K-cups now or these re-usable K-cups where you can buy and grind any fresh coffee of your choice.

Reusable K-cup Reviews
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
I'm not sure why some are trying to change your mind. You asked a question and you're on the right track
The real question was at the end: “just wondered what folks out there have been using to make a nice simple cup of coffee.”

When I returned to camping as an adult, I started with a percolator because it was familiar; I grew up watching my parents use one. Someone mentioned pour-over on another RV forum a few years ago as a better way (for a number of technical reasons), and I decided to give it a try. I was surprised to find pour-over both simpler and better tasting. I offered it here as an alternative in case she had not realized there are other ways to make coffee using the stove.

She is free to do with that information whatever she wants, and I certainly wouldn’t attempt to change anyone’s mind that’s happy with their current coffee-making method. Myself, I never change my mind, but I do occasionally respond to new information.

One other remark about stovetop percolators- by way of information- they are good for making coffee in quantity, but they cannot hold coffee at drinking temperature for very long without acquiring the burnt taste of stale gas station coffee. For that you need a separate thermal carafe, which adds one more thing to clean.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The real question was at the end: “just wondered what folks out there have been using to make a nice simple cup of coffee.”
Snipped...
For that you need a separate thermal carafe, which adds one more thing to clean and be stowed.
Fixted for ya. No charge.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #28
otr
Gold Member

Exactly, in the case of the gear I use, there is far less time on the stove and less propane used!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Comical, no stale taste when I warm it up. What gear, my 23 ounce cup is thermal. Cracks me up!
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:44 PM   #30
Silver Member

Default Coffee maker

My wife and I are newbies also and since she is the only one who drinks coffee we went with a French Press setup. She loves it!
topwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #31

Mayanna, simplest way for us is to boil your water on the gas stove top. No electricity need be used. Then pour into a French press with fine grind coffee/espresso grind. Makes marvelous coffee. A morning requirement on my mornings!
Sprinter lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:06 PM   #32
Platinum Member

If you really want a percolator, my recommendation would be to get on ebay and find a nice used Revere Ware percolator with a copper bottom. They last forever! But my son says to get a Vintage Pyrex Glass Percolator!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:04 AM   #33
Bronze Member

The biggest problem for me re: making coffee is while boondocking. Cleaning a French Press or Percolator uses too much water and I don't like any grounds going into my grey tank.

A pour-over with a filter avoids that problem but I need to make 32oz each of caffeinated and 32 oz of decaf. That's too many pour over batches.

Tried Kcups but too many batches and too much waste. Resusable Kcups need washed.

Still looking for a good solution. A pour-over that did 32oz at a time would be great.
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikanode View Post
The biggest problem for me re: making coffee is while boondocking. Cleaning a French Press or Percolator uses too much water and I don't like any grounds going into my grey tank.

A pour-over with a filter avoids that problem but I need to make 32oz each of caffeinated and 32 oz of decaf. That's too many pour over batches.

Tried Kcups but too many batches and too much waste. Resusable Kcups need washed.

Still looking for a good solution. A pour-over that did 32oz at a time would be great.
https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Coffee-...9&sr=8-37&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=32+oz+cof...fb_1_18_ts-a-p

Bigger:

https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-64104...755315&sr=8-13

I've not used any of the above. I use a pour over cone over a 20oz. mug. Wifey uses decaff and I brew it at the same time into a 16oz. mug. This is normally all we want for the day.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:56 PM   #35
Bronze Member

This one could work. According to some reviews the #4 filter cone is too small for the pot but a larger #6 filter works well. I'll give it a try.
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:49 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Knowing what I know about pour over I would agree that a #4 seems too small for 60oz of coffee.

I use a #4 for my 20oz mug.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:03 AM   #37

Default Coffee making

Big thanks to all the members who gave their advice . After reading all the posts and looking at the reviews of the different products I treated myself at Christmas to an aero Press and a Melita pour over cone . Have been trying out both at home and think I will be using the aero press on the road , I like the coffee a lot and also the ease in clean up . But will enjoy my pour over melita cone at home . I have a French press but never could get over the fines dust in the bottom of my cup so not in love with it. So these 2 recommendations will be my go to . Thanks a lot and hope to see you all on the road this summer - socially distanced of course !
Mayanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:28 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayanna View Post
Big thanks to all the members who gave their advice . After reading all the posts and looking at the reviews of the different products I treated myself at Christmas to an aero Press and a Melita pour over cone . Have been trying out both at home and think I will be using the aero press on the road , I like the coffee a lot and also the ease in clean up . But will enjoy my pour over melita cone at home . I have a French press but never could get over the fines dust in the bottom of my cup so not in love with it. So these 2 recommendations will be my go to . Thanks a lot and hope to see you all on the road this summer - socially distanced of course !

Realizing that taste is taste, why did you choose the Aeropress for the road? I've been waffling back and forth on it. I am presently using pour over into a 20oz mug.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #39
Platinum Member

We use Brewing bags in our French press. Kind of like a large tea bag that you can put coffee in. Keeps the smaller grounds out of your cup, makes the press cleanup much easier and no grounds end up in your holding tank.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #40

I love my Single cup, Keurig style coffee maker with pods. No mess. Got from Costco.com. Not expensive.
Donjackw is offline   Reply With Quote