Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Windshield Wiper motor location

Where is the windshield motor location on 1997 Roadtrek 190 Dodge 3500 Ram? It is important to differentiate from the Chevy type.
The wipers refused to work, then after driving a short distance they started up on their own. This has happened twice now within a couple of weeks. Also were would I find the fuse box?
Sary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

for the "van stuff" I'd check forums for the dodge ram

many of the vans used to build RV's are 1 model year earlier which may make a difference when you are looking for mechanical help or parts ( so your 1997 RV may be built on a 1996 van)

check the van manufacturer's vehicle ID plate under the hood, usually on the firewall

check youtube for someone who has already fought this fight and posted a video

search shows complete motor on amazon for $31

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
Gold Member

I had the same issue on my Dodge. Most likely, you have a corroded ground on the wiper motor. The wiper motor is located under the cowl vent behind the hood. Open the hood and look at the top of the firewall to find the motor.
One of the three mount bolts for the motor has the ground wire on it. You need to cut this wire and crimp a connector to a new wire on it. Run this wire to the ground located down on the firewall. This should cure your problem. In any case, I recommend anybody with this Dodge setup do this mod to forestall potential problems.
As an aside, I had replaced my wiper motor when it stopped working, and that is how I found the ground issue. While I had the motor cover off, I put a new wire from the motor's wire terminal to the new ground.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #4

Thanks y'all for your helpful replies. Found the motor under the hood and Malvern Garage in Scarborough ON mechanic installed a new one yesterday. Experiencing much relief
Sary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sary View Post
Thanks y'all for your helpful replies. Found the motor under the hood and Malvern Garage in Scarborough ON mechanic installed a new one yesterday. Experiencing much relief
Good to know. I'm sure he cleaned the ground when he replaced the motor, but there is always the possibility that it will corrode in the future. I had cleaned the original ground when I replaced my motor, before leaving Massachusetts. Halfway across the Upper Peninsula in Michigan, I ran into a thunderstorm, and the wipers stopped working occasionally. As soon as i got to my sister's house in Minnesota, I rerouted the ground wire to the ground on the firewall, and no more issues for three years now.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:30 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sary View Post
Where is the windshield motor location on 1997 Roadtrek 190 Dodge 3500 Ram? It is important to differentiate from the Chevy type.
The wipers refused to work, then after driving a short distance they started up on their own. This has happened twice now within a couple of weeks. Also were would I find the fuse box?
Thre is one fuse box in the glove compartment, you need to remove a plastic to cover to access the fuses
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:44 PM   #7

Check this out might help your problem.
Good luck
Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote