Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default '04 Pleasure Way battery system

My Pleasure Way Excel-TD works fine hooked to a shore line or with the generator running, but doesn't work on the battery. I've made sure the fuses are good, the breakers are set, the red 12v cutoff handle is properly positioned, and the battery is charged. I'll start pulling things apart today and testing with my meter, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious or if someone has encountered this before. I read there are three 30A fuses that I must remove a panel under the seat to see, so I'll start there.. removing the square head screws (strange place to put fuses). I'm also wondering about the transfer switch. Thanks in advance!
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

What specifically are you referring to when you say it works fine, the 110 volt outlets? If so, you will need an inverter setup to make them work. If you have an inverter, is it working? How is it wired in?
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:45 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
What specifically are you referring to when you say it works fine, the 110 volt outlets? If so, you will need an inverter setup to make them work. If you have an inverter, is it working? How is it wired in?
I'm talking about the 12v system.. lights, etc...

But it turns out one of the high amp resettable fuses fixed the problem when I pushed the button on the side. I didn't know there was a button but had measured voltage on both terminals so assumed it was okay. I dont quite understand how that's possible, but the battery is driving the 12v system fine, now.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2019, 12:49 AM   #4
Bronze Member

... And, after more careful study of the transfer switch, I now understand it is only for switching between generator and shore line. It has nothing to do with the 12v system, other than deciding who gets to drive the converter!
Old 08-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Hi Steve, many thanks for your nice replay. i'm also confused with the response. How everything is good with the volt 110?
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Everything works fine off of shore power because shore power is providing 120V to the household electrical portion of the rig as well as the converter which takes 120VAC and converts it to 12VDC to power all the 12V stuff and charge the battery.
When the 12V system doesn’t work, it’s usually because the 12V converter breaker has tripped. That sometimes happens after unplugging from shore power or turning off the generator. Just push the little reset button in and you’re good to go again.
The transfer switch has nothing to do with 12V and is purely a way of managing the two methods of obtaining 120V power to the van so you don’t accidentally provide both at the same time and really mess stuff up.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
BL
2006 PW Plateau TS
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #7

Good information. I just bought a 1999 Pleasure Way yesterday and everything checked out during their purchase process. When I got it home the same thing happened, no 12 volt lights running off the battery, although the battery indicator indicates fully charged. Can you tell me where to find that reset button? Bob in Texas
bbvranch@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:23 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Default Resettable fuse

The high current breakers on my pleasure way are located behind a door near the floor by the heater. You can see two metal cased breakers and each has a small button on the side of the case to reset.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbvranch@yahoo.com View Post
Good information. I just bought a 1999 Pleasure Way yesterday and everything checked out during their purchase process. When I got it home the same thing happened, no 12 volt lights running off the battery, although the battery indicator indicates fully charged. Can you tell me where to find that reset button? Bob in Texas
Bob,

I’m not sure that in 1999, PW used those same breakers we have in our newer coaches. You should have some reset-able breakers near your electrical, usually in the drivers side rear ottoman or perhaps under the sofa or rear bench area depending on your floorplan. Yours might have a lever sticking out the bottom or it could be like these ones and be little grey and black squares with a reset button on the side. You’ll have to look for them near your electrical area.
You might also want to join the official owners group over on groups.io or look for the older model group on Facebook.
Hope this helps,
BL
06 Plateau TS
Brooklet, GA
Old 04-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
Platinum Member

On my 97 PW: Breakers on the passenger side under bed accessible through a small door. The convertor and DC power distribution is under the bed on the driver's side directly across from the breaker location.

I believe the 2 locations have to do with where the house battery is on my 97. It's in the rear on the passenger side. There are 3 breakers. One is a 40a breaker between the alternator and the battery. The second is 15a and is between the battery and the fridge. Third is a 30a between the battery and the convertor/DC power center.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:

on my 2006 Lexor Td the breakers are on the pass side-

the breakers may have a HARD to see trip indicator- in my manual is says red, but in my van they are grey...once you get down with a flashlight you can see

your red master switch is "on" ?

on is clockwise,

in my van it is under the pass side bed, accessed from the REAR of the van ( reaching through) or by opening the under bed door

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:

Welcome to the forum Bob!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
On my 97 PW: Breakers on the passenger side under bed accessible through a small door. The convertor and DC power distribution is under the bed on the driver's side directly across from the breaker location.

I believe the 2 locations have to do with where the house battery is on my 97. It's in the rear on the passenger side. There are 3 breakers. One is a 40a breaker between the alternator and the battery. The second is 15a and is between the battery and the fridge. Third is a 30a between the battery and the convertor/DC power center.
Thanks for the responses. I have checked all 3 breakers and the 5 spade fuses. They are under a metal cover door under the drivers side bed. Also the Red disconnect switch is in the on position. Still no 12 volt power when generator or shore power are disconnected...??? Thought some other switch or connector I was missing.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Call or email Pleasure Way. They are still taking care of customers during the C19 shutdown. www.pleasureway.com
Brooklet, GA
Old 04-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
on my 2006 Lexor Td the breakers are on the pass side-

the breakers may have a HARD to see trip indicator- in my manual is says red, but in my van they are grey...once you get down with a flashlight you can see

your red master switch is "on" ?

on is clockwise,

in my van it is under the pass side bed, accessed from the REAR of the van ( reaching through) or by opening the under bed door

mike
Thank you all for the responses. I finally found it, pressed the reset button and everything is working now. Thank you again.
Bob in Texas
Old 04-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #16
Platinum Member

yay!

I've gotten so much help here

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
yay!

I've gotten so much help here

Mike
And, you've helped others. That's what I love about this forum.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 09:27 PM   #18

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
... And, after more careful study of the transfer switch, I now understand it is only for switching between generator and shore line. It has nothing to do with the 12v system, other than deciding who gets to drive the converter!
Hi Mark, 2023 calling with the same problem in a 2000 Excel MP. I have looked at the transfer but not found a way to reset. I don't have a generator but I do have a generator control block which I think I messed around with. I'll check those two items.

Thanks much!
CircaLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 09:49 PM   #19

Default Which button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl_smith25 View Post
Everything works fine off of shore power because shore power is providing 120V to the household electrical portion of the rig as well as the converter which takes 120VAC and converts it to 12VDC to power all the 12V stuff and charge the battery.
When the 12V system doesn’t work, it’s usually because the 12V converter breaker has tripped. That sometimes happens after unplugging from shore power or turning off the generator. Just push the little reset button in and you’re good to go again.
The transfer switch has nothing to do with 12V and is purely a way of managing the two methods of obtaining 120V power to the van so you don’t accidentally provide both at the same time and really mess stuff up.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
BL
2006 PW Plateau TS
Hi BL, I have the same problem as MarkS with a Y2K Excel. Which little reset button?
CircaLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:45 AM   #20

The reset button is the little black button on the side of the breaker. In the photo the button is in the reset position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9320.jpg (192.7 KB, 8 views)
Steveva is offline   Reply With Quote