Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #1

Default '14 Roadtrek 190 Generator

We use our RV for 3 day trips twice a month. I'm having the batteries replaced with Lithiums and adding solar panels. Was thinking of having the generator removed as we've never use it. Is this wise or practical?
StevieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieV View Post
We use our RV for 3 day trips twice a month. I'm having the batteries replaced with Lithiums and adding solar panels. Was thinking of having the generator removed as we've never use it. Is this wise or practical?

We took ours out our 07 190 maybe 5 years ago now, but we did 440ah of AGM batteries mounted under the van where the genny was. We also did an upgrade to bigger shore charger/inverter at 100amps/2000watts at the same time. We already had 300 watts of solar and a big alternator system, so have never come close to running out of power.

The big inverter will run most anything except the air conditioner as I rewired the van to have all the outlets switched to inverter when it is on. We run microwave and even a hair dryer occasionally and are often not on shore power. We do also have a 12v compressor frig that uses 20-40ah per day.

So, yes, can be very practical as long as you don't need the air conditioner and you have enough charging to replace the power you use.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote