Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Unhappy 1999 RT genset fuel line

Replaced Onan 2.8 Microlite carburetor (gas, not LP)about six weeks ago . Yesterday I tried to start it and it would crank but not start.
Would start and run with staring fluid.
Disconnected fuel lie at carb, cranked, no fuel.
When I had the generator down to replace the carb I spliced a new short piece of fuel lie to old fuel line to gas tank.
Disconnected splice and ran a temporary line to a 2 gallon gas can Generator started right up and I ran it with A/C for an hour. Works great.
The fuel line to the gas tank (probably original 1999) is hard and stiff.
So, next step is to replace al of the original fuel line.
Has anybody done this themselves?
If so, did you have to drop the gas tank to do it?
Of coarse, I filled the gas tank to rule out not starting because of low tank level.
Ed
Old 10-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Might not be a good idea but blow some compressed air in the fuel line from the generator end back to the fuel tank. This might clear any debris that is plugging the fuel pickup in the tank. Of course if this works then there is the possibility of the line becoming plugged again at the worst possible time.

Might be a kink in the fuel line that was caused when the generator was replaced.
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:40 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Blowing compressed air back into fuel tank may or may work for the short term, but the fuel line is really brittle and needs to be replaced. What you blow back into the fuel tank may come out later elsewhere (engine fuel pump, EFI). Trying to get some tips on replacing the fuel line.
There are no kinks at the generator end.
Ed
Old 10-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanEd View Post
Blowing compressed air back into fuel tank may or may work for the short term, but the fuel line is really brittle and needs to be replaced. What you blow back into the fuel tank may come out later elsewhere (engine fuel pump, EFI). Trying to get some tips on replacing the fuel line.
There are no kinks at the generator end.
Ed
If you are dropping the fuel tank to install a new fuel line you may want consider replacing the fuel pump as long as the tank is down. They do wear out/plug up over time.

BTW, not the place to utilize cheap fuel line, get the good stuff.

BTW, I also live in FLA, Lake county near Mt Dora. We are heading to St George state park up near Apalachicola this coming Monday so will be burning up a bunch of gasoline. It's possible we could hook up and I could buy some of your gas to get your tank lighter, depending on your location.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Bronze Member

What I'm trying to find out is do you HAVE tho drop the tank to replace the fuel line.
Anybody done this replacement?
One of the best things about a class B is you can use them as a daily driver, so I can use up the gas if I need to drop the tank.
Ed
Old 11-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #6

yes. you have to drop the fuel tank. the generator hose goes into the tank through the fuel pump. it is best to totally empty the fuel tank. the tank itself is not too heavy. siphon all gas via the fill hose. jack up the van, disconnect the filler tubes. best to use a trans jack under the tank. remove tank support straps. let tank down a bit. remove electrical wires and remove or cut generator fuel hose. remove tank. best to replace old fuel pump. install the new fuel line. i used a marine grade hose. 1/4 in as i recall. put it back together. get a book on how to remove tank on dodge van. i put a check valve in line with the tank and generator. it helped for better generator start ups. or take it to a repair shop and tell them what to do. that old hose gets brittle over time and leaks air so you can't pump gas to the generator..
carlos iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #7

First thing that comes to mind, those generator fuel intake lines into the main fuel tank do not extend clear to the bottom. They only go about 3/4 depth. The reason, was that it is a fail safe so that if you were running the generator over an extended period of time that you would not drain the main fuel tank AND be stranded in the boonies. Therefore IF your fuel tank is low, you may not be sucking fuel from the tank. BEEN THERE - DONE THAT

Also new Dodge fuel pumps for those years are expensive IF YOU CAN FIND THEM, (about $750)
The Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:09 AM   #8
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

I also have a Onan 2800. It is in a 1995 Dodge 3500 Xplorer Class B. The fuel line is rubber until the vehicles fuel tank neck. Then the rubbed hose attaches to a metal line thru the neck and down into the vehicles fuel tank. From fuel neck to tank is metal rest is regular rubber gas line. I have replaced rubber gas line twice along with fuel pump on generator. Have heard generator compartment gets to hot a trashes fuel pump. Some people have moved pump to outside generator case.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote