Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #1

Default 2000 LTV solar thoughts/advice...

We are “new to us” owners of a 2000 Leisure Travel Van - Discovery 2A. We will get it out of WIsconsin storage in about 3 weeks. We’ll be looking at replacing the old solar system on the roof that is barely functional.
I’m looking for an effective way to add solar. There’s not a lot of real estate on the roof. I’m considering a roof rack. Has anyone successfully added solar? If so I’m open to suggestions and recommendations please. Photos are also greatly appreciated.
TIA
Optimistic Chris
Optimistic Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I agree, roof real estate it tight on a class b. For that reason, I recommend you measure and sketch out the available space on your roof.

That way, you'll know where you want to place panels and can get specific measurements of panel sizes that will fit. Then shop many solar panels that are available from many different sources. You'll find some variances in panel sizes and shapes. Some are slightly smaller, some more square, some rectangular. Perhaps one will work best for your space.

Also consider that you may want to run new wiring, but since you can't add too many watts to a class b, you might get by with what you have. Still a good idea to check that.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

We have a 2000 LTV and 50w of solar on the roof. Our panel is 1' x 4' and is mounted on the passenger side rear beside the a/c. I made 4 aluminum brackets shaped (or bent) to match the slope in the roof. Call 3M tech support and they will tell you which caulking/sealant to use for aluminum to fibreglass bond. I ran the wiring down the drain from the a/c indent, drilled a hole for the waterproof wire into the passenger side rear storage compartment where I mounted the voltage regulator and another hole to the battery compartment where it is hooked up directly to the battery. With only one 27 size 12v battery it has done us well. Been up there for 6 years without any holes drilled through the roof. 3M was very helpful. By monitoring our usage ie; water pump, led lighting etc. we can manage for a long period as long as there is good old sun. Had 100 w on our 1997 LTV which made for unlimited dry camping.
Would like to add more on the other side but will see. Good luck.
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:28 AM   #4
Platinum Member

During my solar implementation I evaluated a few options and chose 3 x 100W panels. One of the design criteria shading prevention by fans or AC or other roof structures. See my option with drawn fan shading area.

Keep at least 1" of airgap under panels to allow cooling air to flow.
Attached Images
File Type: png dhdhjd.png (159.8 KB, 21 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote