Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2020, 03:28 AM   #1

Default 2005 Roadtrek 210 Versitile - without an inverter?

I recently purchased 2005 Roadtrek 210 Versitile. According to the owners manual, it has an inverter, a Tripp-Lite RV612ULH. Since we are not getting 110V as expected, I looked for the converter but cannot find it. Now I am wondering if we even have an inverter! In a compartment under the rear bed on the passenger side, I find an Iota DLS-30 converter, along with a power switch and other electronic equipment (photo attached). Can someone tell me where I can find the Tripp-Lite converter in my motor coach?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg converter and power switch photo.jpg (219.7 KB, 51 views)
Gary Rasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the Forums

I'm sure a roadtrek owner will be along shortly to offer help

Cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Looks to me that the items Roadtrek originally installed have been removed. It all looks very much DIY compared to what I had in the '04 Roadtrek I owned.

Another forum member here (Bud) has an '05 RT that came from the factory without an inverter/charger but it has a PD converter not Iota.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Looks to me that the items Roadtrek originally installed have been removed. It all looks very much DIY compared to what I had in the '04 Roadtrek I owned.

Another forum member here (Bud) has an '05 RT that came from the factory without an inverter/charger but it has a PD converter not Iota.
Gary, agree with markopolo, not original, unlikely.

Appears to be a dumb charger, but could be a multi stage charger. Keep looking and you'll find the inverter if you have one? You should easily be able to determine smart or dumb charger, watts etc.

I have an 05/04 190 (early 2005) not 210. ODD that I don't have what most 05 Roadtreks have. One guess was they ran out and used what they were using, converter with dumb charger with separate inverter, Zantrex 400+. I think that Roadtrek maybe have been preparing for e-treks. Roadtrek called it a 600 watt inverter (surge power), less than 400 watts continuous. Sorry, could not help it.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

My model is not a Roadtrek and it is a '2012, but this is what my Tripplite looked like. Fairly typical of those I've seen and not small. About a foot long and 7-8 inched wide and similar height.

And welcome to the forum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6922.JPG (456.1 KB, 24 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #6

I have searched everywhere I know to look, and cannot find anything other than what I have included in the photo. If you know where else to look that would be greatly appreciated. If I have one and it is not working, I'd like the chance to fix it! Where else may an inverter be installed other than the other the dinette / bed in the back?

I did verify the Iota power converter appears to be charging the battery. The voltage at the coach battery is slightly higher when plugged in, than not. BUT the control panel shows the coach battery condition to be poor. From what I am reading, poor would be in the 10V range. The battery reads normal voltage, in the 14V range, and seems to work fine. If what I have is DYI charging set up, maybe the control panel wasn't connected correctly.

At the present rate of progress, I may proceed as if I don't have an inverter on this coach and not worry about it. I am thinking I'll replace the TV with a 12V model (a main reason for wanting the inverter).
Old 06-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Rasmussen View Post
I'll replace the TV with a 12V model (a main reason for wanting the inverter).

My replacement tv is a 21" samsung from costco ( $130?- I don't know if they sell this anymore- I bought it 5 or 6 years ago)
model T22C350ND

it is native 14VDC ( as are many of the smaller samsungs), it uses a ac/dc transformer for home use

the coax power connector was same size as the connector for my OEM tv ( in a pleasure way)
also had a headphone type 3.5mm stereo jack which matched the input to my amplifier and speakers
I made a bracket to mount it on my swinging cabinet door

BONUS- mine has a media player buillt in- I put movies and shows on a USB thumb drive and play them on the TV- no dvd's

link to pics:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VxLS11aFNDb2pn

Mike
Old 06-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #8

Default 12V TV for Roadtrek?

Thanks mkguitar about the TV info. Do you have a Roadtrek similar to mine? Your photos look similar to mine. Great job on the installation! For me, I was figuring about 22" to maybe 24" to be maximum size for the TV in the area it was designed for.

I have been looking at Hi Res 12V TV's with integral DVD. I will also use it as a 2nd computer monitor so I need the HDMI input. I would also like it to be a 'smart' TV to be able to accept screen casts from a smart phone, The only one I have found on the market with the 'smart' feature is the Skyworth 12 Volt TV DVD Skyworth/NAXA/RCA LED 12V Color Television which seems to have questionable reviews in general - with a lot of complaints on the audio.

Any additional thoughts you may on a 12V TV for my Roadtrek would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I have a Pleasure Way Lexor model

which had a tv mounted on a swinging cabinet door

the 22" was a largest I could fit on that door without protruding into the aisle

see pics in link above

do you need a dvd player?

I'd go to a big box store and see what is available 12 volt native and take it from there- get a name brand you've heard of before

consider:
power
audio
smart? ( media player)
and test the antenna channel scan- something you'll be doing everytime you move

my original tv used adapter and converter boxes for the digital signal- I stripped out a box full of junk from that cabinet

Mike
Old 06-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I have a Pleasure Way Lexor model

which had a tv mounted on a swinging cabinet door

the 22" was a largest I could fit on that door without protruding into the aisle

see pics in link above

do you need a dvd player?

I'd go to a big box store and see what is available 12 volt native and take it from there- get a name brand you've heard of before

consider:
power
audio
smart? ( media player)
and test the antenna channel scan- something you'll be doing everytime you move

my original tv used adapter and converter boxes for the digital signal- I stripped out a box full of junk from that cabinet

Mike
I don't know if I 'need' a DVD player, I may not even need a TV! I just thought it would be convenient to have the DVD option in case I want it.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I put my dvd's and downloads etc on a thumbdrive- usb into the TV
hundreds of show on a drive
dvd's are an abandoned technology ( said the guy who records onto 8 track tape for use in the old cadillac!)

In my van the only things which are AC only are the microwave ( not used much) and the air conditioning
so they only work on the generator ( which I maintain but have never used camping) or campground shore power

If you are willing to "work around" your current power set up may suit you

Mike
Old 06-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The compartment in your picture is where the inverter used to be. Obviously, it was replaced.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #13

Thanks Deano for confirming this is the correct location.

If this coach was originally wired to have an inverter, I would assume I could put one back in again relatively easily. All the wiring should be in that space somewhere, correct? Should I be looking specifically for the Tripp-Lite RV612ULH that was original equipment or might another one also work well?
Old 06-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Rasmussen View Post
Thanks Deano for confirming this is the correct location.

If this coach was originally wired to have an inverter, I would assume I could put one back in again relatively easily. All the wiring should be in that space somewhere, correct? Should I be looking specifically for the Tripp-Lite RV612ULH that was original equipment or might another one also work well?

If it is wired like most of the inverter equipped Roadtreks, it will have wiring for the inverter only going to the audio cabinet and kitchen outlet. Those outlet would switch source of power inside the inverter. If they work on shore power now, the wiring would have to been moved to full time shore power. You will need to sort that out when you add an inverter or charger/inverter.

The Tripplite is not a great charger, and the inverter is a modified sine wave that is also very low output, so you may want to consider going to better quality, pure sine wave inverter, and possible more inverter output depending on your needs.

If you are not up on AC wiring, this may not be a DIY and need some outside input from someone who has that experience.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I'm gonna whack the beehive

An inverter consumes power to make alternating current, there will be loss/ waste of limited battery power

list what you expect to run off the AC current from the inverter?

Mike
Old 06-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #16
Platinum Member

That is the right compartment. I suspect that the TrippLite was taken and replaced by the Iota converter. You can still get the TrippLite but there are newer, better Inverter chargers available. The TrippLite is a 750 watt Modified Sine Wave inverter which does not play well with many electronic devices. The TrippLite had a 45 amp charger/converter which is sufficient for the RT. I believe that TrippLite sells direct or, if you want to explore other options you can try: theinverterstore.com.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #17
Platinum Member

On mine, it is on the passenger side just behind the wheelwell.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:51 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Yes, someone appropriated your Tripplite before you purchased the van.

I did a bundle of research before dumping my Tripplite & purchased a Magnum MMS1012 Pure Sine Wave inverter through one of the company's licensed distributors.

Instead of placing it in the lite box under the bed you put it upside down in the space behind that box, this way it also runs cool.

If it wasn't going to be a Magnum, it would have been a Victron like the rest of my electronics BUT at the time they didn't make a small enough unit.

The Magnum support is excellent.

I won't go into all the benefits of the Magnum or Pure Sine versus Modified but they are substantial. Do your research, here is a quick link. Be happy the Tripplite wasn't there, it would have only frustrated you.

By the way, when Roadtrek had a stellar reputation, they installed Magnum as standard equipment & if younever get through to their Support staff, they too will recommend Magnum & the MMS1012 - anything else will disappoint you ...

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pr...rter-charger-0
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
.......................... By the way, when Roadtrek had a stellar reputation, they installed Magnum as standard equipment ..............
Never ever heard of Magnum equipment being offered in a Roadtrek, not even as a one-off. Maybe you're thinking of the old Magnetek units.

Leisure Travel did have a Magnum unit in the later year Class B vans they offered. I looked at one on a dealer lot and was impressed until I realized it was a modified sine wave unit and only 600W.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Everyone should be aware that not all the Magnum inverter/chargers support the amps based charging control off a shunt, which is what is needed for accurate charging.

The Magnum/Sensata site has a compatibility chart for the inverter/chargers and the remotes, but it is very convoluted and confusing, so is always best to call them to confirm the unit you are considering. The last time I went through it all, it was basically that you needed the larger case inverter/charger as a minimum like an MS2000, an ARC50 remote, and a BMK battery monitor kit.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 roadtrek inverter