Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #1

Default 2008 Pleasure Way Lexor Battery Recommendation

I know this is a common question but don't quite have the recommendation I need.
I have a 2008 Pleasure Way Lexor. A couple years back I put a new yellow Optima battery in the shore battery compartment and it's been well less than Optimal. I dont know if I got a weak one somehow or if there's some leak in my system but seemed to lose charge even with the cutoff shut-off and got weak after not high draw use.

Note, I often leave the country for winters so would be looking for batteries that don't get ruined by sitting for months and not very practical for me to keep it on a trickle charger (unless I really really need to go there)

I dont mind paying for quality but like deals too. What are your recommendations for batteries for me rig. I mostly boondock.

Thanks
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I would suggest any AGM true deep cycle that fits. That yellow top was a combination starting/deep cycle marine battery, a compromise. Not the best choice for this application.

I would also suggest putting an on/off master disconnect switch on it, that way you know it is disconnected.

If you have access to the sun nearby, perhaps a small solar battery maintainer would work for you.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

not big on the optima

my 2006 Lexor has a few-year old battery from costco, it's been totally fine

if you'd like I can go get the # off it

one aspect with any battery is that electrons can travel between the poles through dirt and moisture on the casing and cause a discharge when stored.
keep the battery clean, quick soapy sponge

( ps lead/acid batteries work better with distilled water, you can use condensate from the air conditioner rather than buy it

I also use this for my radiator)

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #4

I've been reconsidering going with an AGM based on more research about their actual benefits in use. Consider this from a manufacturer of each

Trojan Battery
Generally, gel and AGM batteries have about 20% less capacity, cost about two times more, and have a shorter cycle life than comparable flooded lead acid batteries. However, Gel and AGM batteries do not need watering, are safer (no acid spilling out), can be placed in a variety of positions, have a slower self-discharge characteristic, and are more efficient in charging and discharging than flooded batteries (see table below). Gel batteries are more suitable for deep cycling applications whereas AGM batteries are more for light cycling and engine-starting applications.
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb View Post
I know this is a common question but don't quite have the recommendation I need.
I have a 2008 Pleasure Way Lexor. A couple years back I put a new yellow Optima battery in the shore battery compartment and it's been well less than Optimal. I dont know if I got a weak one somehow or if there's some leak in my system but seemed to lose charge even with the cutoff shut-off and got weak after not high draw use.

Note, I often leave the country for winters so would be looking for batteries that don't get ruined by sitting for months and not very practical for me to keep it on a trickle charger (unless I really really need to go there)

I dont mind paying for quality but like deals too. What are your recommendations for batteries for me rig. I mostly boondock.

Thanks
AGM the way to go, IMHO... bought one, does great...
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Go with AGM. I am on my second set of Deka AGMs made by East Penn. The first set lasted 8 years. Either type of battery will last a long time if you treat it well and take care of it right. Learn about the battery you get and follow its care instructions. It’s the heart of your system which keeps everything going. It makes sense to treat it well.
Stay away from Optima. They are not an efficiently made battery. How can you have more lead or electrolyte in something with less volume than a rectangle? Too much plastic and not enough of what matters.
Look for Deka batteries or something made by East Penn to get a quality AGM.m at a decent price.

BL
06 PW Plateau TS
Brooklet, GA
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

just had a look at my battery in the 2006 Lexor, it is an Interstate group 27DC Marine/RV
costco #850982 ( currently $88 )

and it's FIVE years old!

I have AGM batteries in a number of my vehicles incl under the hood of the van
- last time shopping the lead/acid was the value choice for the RV, and it's panned out

This jibes with what I learned in auto trades in the mid-90's, how different battery chemistries react to discharge and charge rates and cycles.

I do check the electrolyte level every once in a while, but it's not constant tending

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote