Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #1

Red face 2017 Axion Hymer carado - added 2 100 am battle born lithium batteries

Have a 2017 Axion hymer Carado Class B RV with 200 watts solar and has an option to add 2 lithium batteries. I did not go to the dealer because the dealer quoted $6,000.00 instead of $1800 from battle born. My boyfriend connected the 2 lithium batteries to the Inverter/charger in parallel.
1) Do I need to switch on the inverter/charger to charge the lithium batteries?
2) How can I connect the 2 lithium batteries to switch on/off on the control panel just like the inverter.
3) How do I monitor the 2 lithium batteries.
Am trying to learn my RV since I like to travel alone. I was dry camping for 20 days and had no problem until I bought a small 8 inch USB fan from walmart and the battery was depleted.
Can you please help me

thanks
gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Did your Axion come equipped with the under hood generator (auxiliary alternator)?

Is the original coach (house) battery still installed and working?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracey View Post
Have a 2017 Axion hymer Carado Class B RV with 200 watts solar and has an option to add 2 lithium batteries.
That option from EGHNA wasn't "adding" two lithium packs, it was a switchout of the AGM system for the lithium system. I am not a technical type... so my wording may be wrong here. But that is why you need work like done by someone professional. You can't just wire in the batteries... and add them to the AGM.

Your inverter needs to be reset to work with the different batteries. AND the same with your underhood generator. I assume that you have one. The UHG with an AGM battery system has a built in controller. For it to work with the lithiums, you need the balmar controller. I suggest that you call Adam Nations at Nations Starter in Missouri to find out what your options are.

As I recall, some with AGMs who added lithiums set it up so that the solar charged the AGM and UHG charged the lithiums.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I agree your dealer quote was outrageous, but maybe it included other upgraded lithium compatible components like a new inverter/charger and battery monitor.

As far as having a friend install, did he test the system? He should have, and if he did, he should be able to explain it to you. Worries me if he did not. And you do need charging that has a lithium profile to maintain your expensive Battleborns. Plus a battery monitor to keep track of state of charge and capacity. I recommend the Renogy monitor that I use. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Renogy-500A...wAAOSwAa9e6B4Z

It is cheap, versatile, and shows everything at a glance. No buttons to scroll through once you get it set up (which is very easy). The battery monitor shunt is wired on the negative side of between your batteries and inverter/charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basic Wiring Layout for Van-Locked for Edit.jpg (191.3 KB, 15 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
That option from EGHNA wasn't "adding" two lithium packs, it was a switchout of the AGM system for the lithium system. I am not a technical type... so my wording may be wrong here. But that is why you need work like done by someone professional. You can't just wire in the batteries... and add them to the AGM.

Your inverter needs to be reset to work with the different batteries. AND the same with your underhood generator. I assume that you have one. The UHG with an AGM battery system has a built in controller. For it to work with the lithiums, you need the balmar controller. I suggest that you call Adam Nations at Nations Starter in Missouri to find out what your options are.

As I recall, some with AGMs who added lithiums set it up so that the solar charged the AGM and UHG charged the lithiums.

Therein lies the big issue with a lot of the drop in lithium battery manufactures and sellers.

Many, including Battleborn say, or strongly imply, they really are drop in with no other changes needed.

The above story is happening way to many times, I fear.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #6

Not so sure about that but I have solar. How do I find that out. Thanks for the reply
Old 07-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #7

I tried to look for a battery. I only can find the battery under the hood in front of the RV
Old 07-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I think you'll have to find out more about how your lithium batteries were installed. Otherwise it's hard to answer your questions.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote