Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default 95 RT 190P W\O Genny...add genny or solar or both?

I'm looking at a 190P in the area, but it doesn't have a genny (or a shower).

I was going to install solar anyway, but I'm curious, would you guys add a generator as well?

Does a RT without a genny still have the compartment for one?
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzu View Post
I'm looking at a 190P in the area, but it doesn't have a genny (or a shower).

I was going to install solar anyway, but I'm curious, would you guys add a generator as well?

Does a RT without a genny still have the compartment for one?
I have a 2000 R/T without a generator, I am not sure if the spare tire underneath takes up the space where a generator might have gone. Going solar isn't cheap, I have about $5G Canadian put into mine (I have two 100W solar panels, four 6v 290AH batteries, a dedicated 2000W pure sine wave inverter off the batteries, a PWM solar charge controller, tri-metric monitor, etc.). I don't need a generator and hopefully won't ever wish I did!
Gary-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

my two cents... i would say forego the genny until you need it - and then buy a little honda or yamaha or comparable unit - my onan on my 2004 roadtrek is more trouble than it is worth (to me) - it requires regular use in order to prevent problems with the gas gumming up the works
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post
my two cents... i would say forego the genny until you need it - and then buy a little honda or yamaha or comparable unit - my onan on my 2004 roadtrek is more trouble than it is worth (to me) - it requires regular use in order to prevent problems with the gas gumming up the works
Agreed.

Having no built-in genny is a plus. Most people don't use it. Check around the for sale ads, you will see 10 yrs old RV with 20 hrs on the genny.

If you need a genny,
you can always get a hitch-mount cargo box and keep the honda out there.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Add me to the chorus. Almost nobody actually uses their genset. They are noisy and trouble-prone. Consider using the space and money for more batteries and perhaps a second engine generator (if that can be done on your chassis).
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I removed my built in Onan. It failed on two long trips. Those breakdowns on the road would have required repair at a repair facility with accompanying large repair bill.

I replaced it with a remote start Champion that puts out 2800 watts and is almost as quiet as a Honda and a lot quieter than the Onan. It is also an inverter genny. I have it mounted on my trailer tongue but also can be easily moved to a rear carrier. Cost for the genny was about $900. Three year warranty.

BTW, I survived just fine boondocking without the genny with my portable solar panels. All in on the solar was less than 500. I was able to fab a battery carrier to put in place of the genny and I installed a group 29 battery on it .
Obviously I'm not set up to run the microwave sans genny or shore power on this low buck setup. But it works for me/us. A bonus, if the genny needs repair while traveling I can now get at it. Not quite as easy as the Onan but a lot easier to live with.

Of course a lot of this depends on your power budget. Running a microwave and hair dryer off the battery/batteries will need a good inverter and associated wiring, driving up the costs toward the five grand mark.

My brother has a 95 also without a shower. He bought a cheapo 12v water pump and installed a cig lighter outlet in the back end. He opens both rear doors and has a pole that goes between the doors to hang a curtain on. Or one could get a portable shower. He uses a black 5 gallon bucket to heat the water. He is looking at the possibility of installing a shower station back there somewhere but he gets along with what he has.
Good luck.

On TDY at Douglas City, CA.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I had an Onan in my 2000C200P and liked the idea of having one. However, it would always seem to refuse to work at the worst possible time. I finally removed it this year and now have: two group 27 105Ah maintenance free batteries in it's place, a Tripp-lite 1800W modified sine-wave inverter in one of the side compartments, and a 100W solar panel. The batteries were about $150 each, the inverter I got on sale for $100, and the solar panel was about $200. Add $200 or $300 for all the hardware, wiring, fuses, etc.
I can run all appliances except the A/C, which I would never run at the same time as the Onan anyway ... way too loud! The microwave works ok but puts out less power than when on shore power.
Big plus is that now I can use the microwave, toaster and Keurig coffee maker in places where I didn't dare use the generator before.
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #8
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post

I replaced it with a remote start Champion that puts out 2800 watts and is almost as quiet as a Honda and a lot quieter than the Onan. It is also an inverter genny. I have it mounted on my trailer tongue but also can be easily moved to a rear carrier. Cost for the genny was about $900. Three year warranty.
Hmm, that does sound like a great genny. Think it would fit where the onan used to be to make it truly on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post

My brother has a 95 also without a shower. He bought a cheapo 12v water pump and installed a cig lighter outlet in the back end. He opens both rear doors and has a pole that goes between the doors to hang a curtain on. Or one could get a portable shower. He uses a black 5 gallon bucket to heat the water. He is looking at the possibility of installing a shower station back there somewhere but he gets along with what he has.
That was exactly going to be my idea. Two closet rod brackets on the inside of the rear doors and a snap in rod with curtain for a rear shower. Perhaps using a hitch mounted cargo carrier as a stand with some bamboo when in mud or extra filthy locales.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
Silver Member

Hmm, it seems I can't edit my post. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I routinely go out to BRC. For that location solar would be great. But a genny would not be an issue, it is pretty loud already and having a genny on won't bother anyone or me.

Not trying to convince myself, just wanted to see if that may change any of your opinions on going one way or another.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:24 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Hmm, that does sound like a great genny. Think it would fit where the onan used to be to make it truly on board?

Absolutely will not fit in the same spot.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote