Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default '97 Xplorer battery charging w/shore power

I have a 97 Xplorer Mur Van LT.
When im on shore power the converter box charges my house battery. Will the converter box
overcharge my battery?
The house battery doesnt have a disconnect switch at the positive terminal, it came from the factory that way.
Im afraid of an overcharge as it is a brand new battery.

My prior class b, a Leisure Travel, fried my battery when i left it on shore power too long. It had a disconnect at the positive terminal to be used when hooked to shore power.

I also need the wiring schematic for the generator. I push the start button and nothing. I
guess i can start checking fuses and then look for voltage at the generator and work my way backwards until I find voltage

I've been trying to join the Yahoo Explorer RV group but the moderator seems to be out of commission.
shoalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If it is the original charger it is likely a fixed voltage unit and would cook the battery over time. If it has been replaced, it could over or under charge depending on the charger model and the size and type of battery.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
Bronze Member

I guess i should read the sticker on the converter box.. Its a Magnetek and on the sticker it says it wont overcharge the house battery. It acts like a regular battery charger and maintains a float voltage. I guess that's the reason there was no battery disconnect from the factory.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:07 AM   #4
Bronze Member

I guess i should read the sticker on the converter box.. Its a Magnetek and on the sticker it says it wont overcharge the house battery. It acts like a regular battery charger and maintains a float voltage. I guess that's the reason there was no battery disconnect from the factory.