Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 98' RT solar retrofit

I have retrofitted with two 50 watt 17V panels, two 12v/75 amp hr batteries, XP1100 watt 12V inverter, and Steca Solsum charge controller. So have yet to charge the batteries via solar because I am having trouble with the batteries overheating. The person that put this together for me said there is a problem with the "regulator" that is supposed to stop the batteries charging once they are fully charged.
Does anyone have any idea as to what I should be doing next besides taking the RV to an expensive expert?
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 98' RT solar retrofit

Have you carefully read the manual for it-it may involve nothing more than a switch adjustment-is it set to the correct battery you are using/lead acid/gel/agm.

the only other thought is a different charge controller

what regulator do you have?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Platinum Member

What model number of controller do you Have? That way we can look to see what features it has.

Most solar controllers are temperature compensated, so they should never overheat the batteries. Have you put a voltmeter on it to see what voltage you actually have. If it is over 15 volts, you also could fry your van electronics.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
Silver Member

The batteries are "AGM Blue Top". Charge Controller model number is Steca Solsum 6.6F (6 Amp). My understanding of the system is that the "regulator" is the one that came with the RT and is hooked up to the battery under the hood as well as the auxiliary battery in the rear. All four batteries, one under the hood, auxiliary battery in the rear and the two additional AGM batteries in the rear are configured together. I don't have a volt meter so haven't check the actually voltage. I have currently disconnected the batteries until I can find out the problem or take it to someone that knows.

The breaker switch in the fuse box would be off when using the inverter and the controller switch would be turned on. Since I am not using the solar system yet the breaker switch is on and the controller switch is off. I admit to being an amateur to understanding the system but so far these have been my instructions from the person that installed the system. Now he only says it is "very complex" and I need to take it to someone that knows why the batteries are overheating.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:45 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobow
The batteries are "AGM Blue Top". Charge Controller model number is Steca Solsum 6.6F (6 Amp). My understanding of the system is that the "regulator" is the one that came with the RT and is hooked up to the battery under the hood as well as the auxiliary battery in the rear. All four batteries, one under the hood, auxiliary battery in the rear and the two additional AGM batteries in the rear are configured together. I don't have a volt meter so haven't check the actually voltage. I have currently disconnected the batteries until I can find out the problem or take it to someone that knows.

The breaker switch in the fuse box would be off when using the inverter and the controller switch would be turned on. Since I am not using the solar system yet the breaker switch is on and the controller switch is off. I admit to being an amateur to understanding the system but so far these have been my instructions from the person that installed the system. Now he only says it is "very complex" and I need to take it to someone that knows why the batteries are overheating.
Are all the batteries AGM Blue tops? That would make them Optima brand.

The only regulator would be in the van alternator and only be in play when the engine is running. Since you say you haven't used the solar yet, is that when it is overheating them, when running?

That controller is multistep and temp compensated, so it shouldn't overheat the batteries if it is set upcorrectly.

Without a voltmeter, and very light electrical knowledge, it will be very hard for you to troubleshoot this properly. You should be going back to whomever did the install and having him fix it and show you properly how it works. Just telling you it is complex really isn't an acceptable answer IMO. It makes me wonder if he understood how it all is supposed to work.

You may want to let us know where you are location wise. Perhaps someone will have a reference of a good electrical guy.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:40 AM   #6
Silver Member

The two additional batteries installed for solar are AGM Blue Tops, engine battery is GR 27 Megatron Interstate, not sure what the auxiliary battery in the rear is. The overheating is only when the engine is running.

I live in N. California, Mendocino County, near Ukiah, CA. I do not want to go back to the person that installed it originally. I think he did a good job with the installation of the inverter, batteries, controller, and setting up the plug in for the 100 feet of wire going to the solar panels. I just don't think he has the knowledge to trouble shoot the overheating batteries.

In the meantime I will look around for someone in the local area. Solar work seems to come at a high price tag around here because there are so many homes being converted and a shortage of skilled installers. My job would be peanuts and difficult to find someone willing to finish someone else's work.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Platinum Member

100 feet of wire on the solar panels? Aren't they on the van? It also appears you have mixed agm and wet cells, which is not right. You do need an expert, I think.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Silver Member

The solar panels are not on the van. The plan was to park in the shade and put the panels in the sun on the aluminum stands built to accommodate them.

booster, thanks for all of your replies. I think you are right, I do need an expert.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Silver Member

booster I just read in the Roadtrek owner's manual that the auxiliary battery in the real is a "deep cycle gel" battery. This means, to me anyway, that the two additional batteries installed for solar, AGM blue top gel, are the same as the auxiliary battery. The manual says the auxiliary battery is automatically charged through the "isolator" by the engine's alternator while the engine is running. It is still a mystery why the two AGM gel batteries are overcharging. Still looking for an "expert" as I continue to search for answers. Maybe the "isolator" is bad.