Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default A/C & Microwave Connected to Generator?

On my newly acquired 2004 Roadtrek 190 Popular I am wondering if the AC & microwave are directly wired to the Onan generator. I get that they draw too much for the factory inverter but does the inverter sense this or do these power hungry items bypass the inverter entirely?
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

They are likely wired to the 120 volt alternating current system- whether shore power or onan.

the inverter takes DC 12 volt from the batteries ( refreshed by alternator or by 120 volt source) and converts that to 120 AC- most inverters do not have the capacity to run high draw electrical loads- I don;t have your model- some motorhomes only have inverter power on dedicated outlets, separate from the other ac outlets

you may find that on the genny you get to choose between ac, toaster, microwave, blow dryer, tea kettle etc and may be only to operate 1 high draw item at a time.

most of us have 2.8 kw onans which translates to about 20 amps of current ( 23, but allow for switches and resistance in the wiring)

the onan rating is at sea level, at elevation the thinner air will reduce output. as I recall I think mine is closer to 2k at 6000 feet
many onans have an altitude adjustment lever on the carb to help the motor run better, but the thin air just doesn;t allow the motor to make as much horsepower

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You should be able to download an owner's manual that may have the info. On our 08 RS the shore and generator power go through the transfer switch and then to the distribution panel where the AC and microwave have dedicated circuits. There is a separate circuit that goes to the Tripp-Lite inverter/charger which has a pass through to the inverter outlets when power is coming from shore or generator. When not on shore or generator power turning on the inverter will power the inverter outlets from the batteries. When the inverter is getting shore or generator power the battery charger activates.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote