Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2021, 11:30 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Added usb charging outlets

I just finished the very easy and worthwhile project of adding two high power USB charging outlets to my 2011 Roadtrek. I wired into the 12 volt house system using a very convenient "Add a circuit device" that plugs directly into an existing 12 volt fuse terminal. Each outlet has two high power charging outlets. No need to run the inverter and no bulky USB transformer plugs. Also visible is my handy dandy wooden retainer that keeps the salt and pepper grinders in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-2.jpg (244.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 1-1.jpg (162.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (123.0 KB, 59 views)
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice upgrades. Always good to "make it your own".
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:49 PM   #3

Very cool. Do you have a link to the receptacle you used?
zzfranczz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:08 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll need to remove the "ring" and place it on the outside to get it to flush mount. Hard to explain, but you'll figure it out once you start messing with it. It is intended to have different configurations for mounting.

I purchased the "add a circuit" thing at O'reilly's autoparts. Put it in a 10 amp slot and fuse the line to your USB plug at 5 amps if you are using one and 10 amps if using two. 18 gauge wire is a good choice for wiring.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

They weren’t much aware of the need for USB chargers in 2011 and at most the cigarette lighter with the charger plug was it for 12V and off the chassis battery.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Has anyone ever seen any testing of the power cleanliness in the cheap add on USB devices vs an OEM phone charging 110v charger? I have always wondered about that with all the charging stations we see all over the place.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:07 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Considering these add ons that connect directly to the 12 volt power source rather than relying on 12 volt power amplified to 110 via inverter and then knocked back down to low voltage via a cheap transformer, I'm guessing the power is at least as "clean" as a phone charger. I charged my MacBook Pro laptop the other day. It charged quickly, and no adverse effects were observed.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:18 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
I charged my MacBook Pro laptop the other day. It charged quickly, and no adverse effects were observed.
Don't you need USB-C to charge a MBP?
I was just about to shop for the USB-C equivalent of what you installed for that purpose. Should probably have both flavors, I suppose.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:18 AM   #9
Platinum Member

The main reason I asked is because we have had some to the 12v to whatever DC voltage (5 to 19 depending on adapter) that generated enough noise to affect the TV reception. DW's older Samsung Galaxy tablet on the non factory 12v adapter is terrible that way. Use the 110v factory adapter off the small Samlex PSW inverter and no issue with the TV at all.

I also found it interesting that one of the surface mount ones I got recently and will be installing has 4 USB outlets of varying power and they marked which is for the different phone brands, which I thought vary odd because some phones are fast change and some aren't.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:17 AM   #10
Bronze Member

These are not fast charge, but they are high power. Not sure what the distinction is, but it seems to be the higher amperage outlets are considered "high power". In any case, no issues to report regarding charging my devices.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #11

How did you run the wires from the power distribution center over to the kitchen? I installed a couple outlets just in front of the A/C in my 07210P by opening the A/C grill and tapping into the flourescents circuit over the bed for hooking up while on the couch or resting but I like your setup for the front area . Getting behind the panels would be an issue for me.
quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #12
Bronze Member

The panels in my rig are thin wafer board covered in upholstery and attached to the chassis with sheet metal screws with upholstery caps on the screws. I just removed the panels and ran the wires in some recesses away from sharp edges and then reinstalled the screws. It didn't take very long.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Sorry, I missed your comment earlier. They don't have female USB-C outlets, but I just use a phone USB-C cable with a standard USB male end for the MacBook. Works fine. You can also use an adapter if you prefer the longer Mac cable.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry, I missed your comment earlier. They don't have female USB-C outlets, but I just use a phone USB-C cable with a standard USB male end for the MacBook. Works fine. You can also use an adapter if you prefer the longer Mac cable.
There are all kinds of USB-C female outlets available. Random example:

https://www.amazon.com/DAMAVO-YM1218...G/ref=sr_1_13?

I am pretty sure you can get much faster charging with a high-current USB-C outlet than with any USB-B fixture.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #15
Bronze Member

For me, it has been very difficult to find a USB-C outlet that really has good reviews.

I routinely build 24 / 48 volt power systems, but if you are feeding 12 volts to them, the C port usually isn't all that powerful.

At the moment - for products like apple stuff, I am still suggesting to people that they plug into a 120 vac outlet if they want to run at full charging power.

Open to ideas but that is what I have observed so far.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:41 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
I routinely build 24 / 48 volt power systems, but if you are feeding 12 volts to them, the C port usually isn't all that powerful.

At the moment - for products like apple stuff, I am still suggesting to people that they plug into a 120 vac outlet if they want to run at full charging power.
So, USB-C is complicated. Among other goals, the designers aspired to solve the tower-of-babble device charging problem once and for all. They did this by specifying a complex negotiation protocol between power sources and sinks. A device can request one of seven voltages, between 5-48VDC, each with a maximum power rating that in some cases can go up to 240 watts. But, any given charger does not have to support all of these options, and most do not. For example, the cheap item that I linked to only supports USB Type-A @ 5V 2.1A and Type-C @ 5V 3A (which is 15 watts). So, you will do better using a USB-C cable than with an A-to-C adaptor, but not that much better.

Different generations of MacBooks can utilize varying amounts of charge current. I think the current ones top out at 140W. I.e., it will charge faster the more current the charger can provide, but only up to some maximum. After that, a more capable charger will not help.

Obviously, you will pay more for a fancy, high current USB-C charger, but a proper one will certainly charge your device faster, up to a point. Here is another random example that is spec'd at up to 90W.

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Laptop-...32/ref=sr_1_9?

(I am not endorsing this product--just a random example). I think that genuine Apple chargers go up to 140W, so they will still be faster than this one. But I would bet that if you pay enough, you can get a DC unit that goes up that high.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #17
Bronze Member

It works for my phones, my laptop, my razor, my bug zapper and probably anything else soon to come out with USB charging. I suppose I'll buy the USB rechargeable AA batteries at some point. There my be faster and more powerful options out there, but this works for everything USB so far, it was inexpensive, and I didn't overthink it. I'm fine with slower charging when I'm relaxing in my little home on wheels.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:43 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
I'm fine with slower charging when I'm relaxing in my little home on wheels.
Fair enough.

My only goal was to document that fast USB-C 12VDC chargers are obtainable, in case anyone cares.