Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default advice on this surge protector..?

EMS-PT30x

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

For surge protection, you will be better off with the Leviton unit from Home Depot. A few pictures below are showing the cost of "RV" surge protectors which are rather simple devices with inexpensive components. The video is by the varistor device inventor if you would like to learn more.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swenson View Post
We got one and considering the protection it affords, IMO it's worth the substantial cost.

If you are considering this level of protection, Randy at Best Converter knows the ins and outs of them.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
For surge protection, you will be better off with the Leviton unit from Home Depot. A few pictures below are showing the cost of "RV" surge protectors which are rather simple devices with inexpensive components. The video is by the varistor device inventor if you would like to learn more.
What George says. The Leviton device has better specs for a fraction of the cost.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
MOVs have prevented a lot of damage but they aren't foolproof. If the MOV shorts from a spike, the protective device usually trips off. But sometimes the spike blows the MOV open rather than shorting it and the protective device continues to pass power thinking it's business as usual. The devices typified by the Progressive unit incorporate additional protection with capacitors and/or inductors that serve to clamp spikes and narrow window surges before the MOV addresses them.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
MOVs have prevented a lot of damage but they aren't foolproof. If the MOV shorts from a spike, the protective device usually trips off. But sometimes the spike blows the MOV open rather than shorting it and the protective device continues to pass power thinking it's business as usual. The devices typified by the Progressive unit incorporate additional protection with capacitors and/or inductors that serve to clamp spikes and narrow window surges before the MOV addresses them.
The leviton device indicates if protection fails. I would be very surprised if it wasn't better in every way.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I must be missing something, as the Progressive is also a bad power disconnect for wiring errors, voltage, frequency, etc isn't it? The Leviton appears to be just surge protection.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I must be missing something, as the Progressive is also a bad power disconnect for wiring errors, voltage, frequency, etc isn't it? The Leviton appears to be just surge protection.
Depends on which PI device you get. OP asked about surge suppression. It is true that if you want AC power quality analysis you need more than the Leviton device. Note, however, that many modern inverter/chargers with internal transfer switches already have these features, so for many people they are redundant.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
The PT30X is the portable version of the EMC-30. It tests for low voltage, high voltage, frequency, proper ground and neutral connections before it will either pass or reject the power source. Which Leviton unit is being suggested as an alternative?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Depends on which PI device you get. OP asked about surge suppression. It is true that if you want AC power quality analysis you need more than the Leviton device. Note, however, that many modern inverter/chargers with internal transfer switches already have these features, so for many people they are redundant.
According to my Magnum MS2000 manual, all that is mentioned is high and low voltage lockout. No surge, polarity, frequency, etc.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
According to my Magnum MS2000 manual, all it has is high and low voltage lockout. No surge, polarity, frequency, etc.
My Outback VFX2812 has everything except surge (which is a separate, overpriced option). That is why I installed the Leviton device.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Modern inverter/chargers may have protective features similar to the Progressive unit but if they do shut down, do they communicate why they have shut down as does the Progressive unit?

Brief rant: there is something perverse about the evolution of this stuff. There was a day when transfer switches, converters and inverters were discrete devices that could be repaired or at least replaced individually. Now with the current integrated design, if any one of these functions craps out you have to replace the whole ball of wax.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
As Avanti already stated the OP question is regarding surge protection no other AC health attributes. In my case between BlueSea AC panel and Magnum I am protected except voltage surge and frequency for which I have a permanently plugged in digital monitor and have yet seen frequency issue. For all other failures including my heart frequency I am self-insured so my wife can continue to enjoy our Voilą.
Digital Line Monitor - TRC AECM20020-012 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Cheers,
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Modern inverter/chargers may have protective features similar to the Progressive unit but if they do shut down, do they communicate why they have shut down as does the Progressive unit?
Yes.

[I hate that this forum requires a minimum of ten characters in a post]
Old 08-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Brief rant: there is something perverse about the evolution of this stuff. There was a day when transfer switches, converters and inverters were discrete devices that could be repaired or at least replaced individually. Now with the current integrated design, if any one of these functions craps out you have to replace the whole ball of wax.
I agree. But to be fair, some of the high-end units (such as Outback) have modular internal designs that support reasonable DIY repairs. And they have good customer support for such stuff. Comes from their boating heritage, I think.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #16
Silver Member

So confused....
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
So confused....
Based on what has been posted, if you have a high end inverter/charger it may have over and under AC voltage and polarity check. It may or may not have surge and frequency protection, so those would need to be separate if you want full protection. The safe bet is to spend the extra and get it all in one place, IMO, and if you ever change inverter/charger you won't have to worry about it then either. We opted for a hardwired one years ago when we still had the Tripplite inverter/charger from Roadtrek, which did have some of the features. We have since changed inverter/charger brands twice, once as separate items and once as a combined inverter/charger, without touching the wired in protector.

Yes, if you piece it, you can save some money and may get some specs better, but is it worth it to you to go through and do it all.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:58 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
So confused....
It's what we do best
Old 08-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Consider purchasing a permanently installed (hard wired) unit if concerned about theft or forgetting to use it every time etc.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Hard wired inside the van is what we have.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote