Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default AirPrint from your iPhone to your PRINTER

Having Email, Text Messages, Notes, Photos as well as PDF's, Doc, and more are kind of cool. But did you know you can print from your iPhone to a PRINTER? Something new is called AirPrint.

Here is what you need to know to send PRINTED Documents to PRINTER.

NO, THIS is NOT USING WIFI, but you are using printer and iPhones Bluetooth. The Printer you are using MUST BE CAPABLE FOR AirPrinting. You can find a list of AirPrinters online.

First, you need a Printer called "AIR-PRINTER" which can be a laser printer or Ink-Jet printer. Whatever they do have to be AirPrint capable.

1. Turn on your iPhone and go into SETTINGS

2. Go into SETTINGS, Turn on BLUETOOTH as well as on your Printer.
You don't need your WIFI to perform this AirPrint.

3. On iPhone go to the Document you want to print out.

4. The Doc can be in NOTES, BOOKS, Email any shown above. To find the doc and open that document. NOW look for a SQUARE BOX with an Arrow going out of the top. CLICK on that iPhone symbol Box with the arrow.

5. PAN down to Printer and click (Now on your iPhone start a BLUETOOTH Search for the PRINTER and will list it on top.

6. Once you see the Printer Name and ID in the Box select the number of copies you want and click PRINT.

---------------------- NOW HOW TO PRINTOUT A TEXT MESSAGE ---------

Now how to capture a TEXT MESSAGE and save it to your photos, for example, say you need to make a printout of a TEXT message.

1. First Open your TEXT MESSAGE you want to printout. You will need to take a picture. So while viewing selected TEST MESSAGE, Click one button on the right side at the same time as the menu button center bottom press both at the same time, while viewing the TEXT MESSAGE.

2. Now you have a Phone of your TEXT MESSAGE. So go into your photos and click the text message photo. Look on Bottom Left for the square box with the arrow on top and press.

3. Follow the same steps starting at step 3, above.

GOOD LUCK ENJOY the iPhone Tip.
2003 Forest River, Reflections, Freightliner Chassis
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Most wireless printers have an app you can install to print directly from your phone using wifi.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Bruceper: Could you clarify? As long as your phone has cellular contact and your cell contract includes data you can get/send wifi apps like WhatsApp, correct? What about your printer? Would that have to be on a wifi network itself to be able to receive print instructions from the phone? It seems that's the way it works in a home wireless environment. Not sure on the road.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:10 AM   #4
Platinum Member

NO WIFI, for this and the software is already on the iPhone. Nothing to be installed. Just the Doc, Photos you want to send to your AirPrint, PRINTER.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:35 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Bruceper: Could you clarify? As long as your phone has cellular contact and your cell contract includes data you can get/send wifi apps like WhatsApp, correct? What about your printer? Would that have to be on a wifi network itself to be able to receive print instructions from the phone? It seems that's the way it works in a home wireless environment. Not sure on the road.
Let me make it a bit more clear. NO WIFI, to do this just "Bluetooth" on AirPrint type of Printers which there is a long list of them online. NO App the software comes in your iPhone, all ready,

NO printer software to download. What I am showing you here, is that you only need your iPhone and an AirPrint type Printer.

Here try this, just turn on your Apple iPhone also Bluetooth and go to your photos. Click on any photo. Now LOOK at the lower LEFT (YOUR LOWER LEFT) Do you see the square box, with an arrow coming out of the top of the box? (IMAGE SHOWN BELOW) Now pan down to PRINT (showing a printer) and click. Do you see a small box open showing you Printer------Select Printer? and the number of copies? select 1 copy. (or +) NOW click on "PRINTER" word on the left-side and the iPhone Bluetooth will search for the printer. But it has to be a printer that is capable of AirPrint.

Understand AirPrint is not new and today you can find printers of all kinds. But it must be AirPrint Capable.

You do not just printout Photos, you can now print anything out you have on your iPhone. Doc, Text Messages, Notes, PDF docs you have in BOOKS app. and many others. All your using to transfer is Bluetooth from iPhone to Printer.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Dogman: No, I understood you the first time and was addressing my question to Bruceper who did say in his post "wifi" and not "bluetooth." I was wondering the details of how he did it without bluetooth.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dogman: No, I understood you the first time and was addressing my question to Bruceper who did say in his post "wifi" and not "Bluetooth." I was wondering about the details of how he did it without Bluetooth.
OH, very good question and now that I'm thinking more about iPhone & Printer. How could anyone perform a WIFI print without first downloading the printer's software? I wish that I would have thought of this concept more fully when I wrote the instructions. I did say NO WIFI needed.

Sometime back I was in the Doctor's, office and a lady had a pdf to print out for the doctor. Thankfully they had and did not know they had an AirPrint Printer. Even the Doctor asked me how to questions in the exam room. At 72-years old, I'm very surprised this old tech stuff Is not more in the loop. I'm not sure how to tell folks about the FREE Google Translate App.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
Platinum Member

You are ahead of me. I've been thinking about getting an air capable printer for at home. Since I haven't, I'm in the dark on this matter. Perhaps since you are specifically pairing one device with the other in BlueTooth it's different. Perhaps most phones come with a type of universal driver for BlueTooth printers and the printer mfg designs their printer with that in mind. I just don't know but am interested in finding out. best.glenn
Old 12-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Fun Tip! Thanks for Posting It!

Just for grins I tried it with my iPhone 6p and an HP Color Laser printer we just bought. Worked like a charm!
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Just for grins I tried it with my iPhone 6p and an HP Color Laser printer we just bought. Worked like a charm!
Outstanding, The only thing to watch is that Bluetooth is turned on both, iPhone and printer and only works with the iPhone that I'm aware of.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
You are ahead of me. I've been thinking about getting an air capable printer for at home. Since I haven't, I'm in the dark on this matter. Perhaps since you are specifically pairing one device with the other in BlueTooth it's different. Perhaps most phones come with a type of universal driver for BlueTooth printers and the printer mfg designs their printer with that in mind. I just don't know but I am interested in finding out. best.glenn
This Apple iPhone for Airprint story link may be useful to you:
https://www.apple.com/lt/support/iph...tant/airprint/
Old 12-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #12
Gold Member

Cool

I have an HP printer that I or anyone else can e-mail to. Send an attachment to the email and it will print that too. No sender software required. Other printer brands may have similar. Here is a link to HP info: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03721293

Tags
airprint, bluetooth, cellularphone, iphone, tips