Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2017, 06:39 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Android headset radio

Once a DIY van it will stay DIY until a sale, far away for me. So, here it is, the newest addition to my van. Decided to get a 9” Android 7.1.2 radio in lieu of the original MB Sound 5 and a recently purchased, not used but not new MB Audio 15 (available). I can use Google Maps on line (G3 dongle) or off line with previous downloads, or another GPS software like TomTom. Google Maps downloads are valid for 1 month only unless updated.

Installation was smooth, gut stuck on programing steering wheel pushbuttons trying to follow the outdated direction and accidently realized that the radio programmed by itself, shmart.

Working on trying to increase contrast on Google Map color scheme designed by Californian teenagers with young blue-sky California eyes being able to see white streets on a very, really very light gray background. Google is an interesting goooogly company.

I have tried to listen to the smartphone music via Bluetooth but just can’t figure out how, the Bluetooth phone works very well, not a big deal, I can use a micro SD card instead.

All of this pleasure cost less than $300 via Aliexpress – the Seicane S129682.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171124_201347317.jpg (213.2 KB, 13 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Have you tried the https://wego.here.com/

You can download free off-line maps into your Android device.

It has voice direction function; works just like your Garmin.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Garmin makes an app that runs on Android and IPhone called Navigon that comes with offline maps.

They have a US version, a North American version and a Europe version.

Expensive ($29.00 - $59.00 depending on version), but the offline maps are important to us because we travel in places where the cell coverage is questionable.

We use it for planning future trips, a backup to our Garmin RV 760 and a hand held GPS when we are out of the van.
tgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I downloaded Here WeGo, so far so good, no issues yet. Need to use the Google Map app offline and the Here WeGo to develop a better understanding which one is better. The Here WeGo searches fast, has better image than Google Map and it doesn’t need re-downloading after using for a month like Google Maps need.

Seicane headset is flawless, great sound, good phone connection, good radio, good WiFi connection, high contrast and wide-angle display, all good.

Still holding the purchase of Navigon, it has mediocre reviews on Google Play.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote