Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default another shore power question

When on shore power I got a power bump did not notice it for a few hours my frig started to defrost (12v frig) I noticed that my batteries had disconnected reset batteries and ok. I then went outside disconnected power and turned back on and batteries had to be reset, wondering this normal or a problem. As long as I have stable power no problems. ( I do have a surge protector hooked up to shore power cable)
Tks Joe
mira1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:07 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Default Questions

Joe: it doesn't strike me as something I would be happy with or put up with.

Question: how do you know you had a power bump and what kind of power bump was it?

Question: when you turned the main power off and then on, how did you do this - pull the plug, switch a CB, or use a switch?

This will help us figure where to look for problems.
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:31 AM   #3
Silver Member

What kind of charger are you using, and what is your battery bank configuration? How are your charger leads connected to your battery bank?
Van_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_Dreams View Post
What kind of charger are you using, and what is your battery bank configuration? How are your charger leads connected to your battery bank?
Sorry I should have stated what unit I have its a 2019 Roadtrek zion with two 200 AH Lithium batteries and 200 watt solar panels How I know I get a power bump my microwave clock blinks and reset batteries all ok and my inverter is turned on. When I disconnect power by shutting breaker off at outside post and turn it back on, go inside of van and I have to rest batteries then all ok.

Joe
mira1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Default Initial thoughts

Since the problem was replicated when you turned the post circuit breaker off and then on I'm leaning towards it as the culprit.

Does your surge protector have indicators for various errors? If it does it would be helpful to know what it is sensing.

What I can't explain yet is why the 120 electricity is causing the your batteries to go off line and require being reset as I have understood you to say. I'm not familiar at all with the Zion's setup, but it is possible that the inverter/charger has some function that would do that to protect the batteries in certain hazardous to them situations.
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote