Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2020, 02:50 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Unlike the decision to get a b with an Onan generator or a lithium battery huge alternator decision-

at least it's a knowing decision.

How many b's on lots would sit there because purchasers are waiting to get one with a super quiet onan.

If i had a choice between a lithium extra alternator system or an Onan inverter generator system that was quiet-i'd go with the quiet onan
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #22

The old generator in my 2008 is very important to me, so when it didn't start I paid the $1200 plus to have it repaired. Not happy with the price, but I do have it to use now! Waiting for alternative power is not an option for me!!
WilmaKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #23
Bronze Member

What seems to be the main problem with the Honda/Yamaha/Japanes/Chinese Inverter Generators and using them in place of an Onan?

* Surely there must be a way to remove the gravity feed fuel tank in case of gasoline and replace with a fuel pump and connect to vehicle tank?
* No need to modify fuel inlet if using LP gas?
* And a bracket must be easily fabricated to match the Onan mounting holes?
In my view an asian generator is much smaller so should fit?

The only issues:
* Remote start (But these are available from asia also right?)
* And the height (From a quick review using Google i find that asian inverter generators are usually more high than wide?

Has this been looked at before?
henknoordermeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:52 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Yep, there are possibilities of putting a Yamaha 3k into the Onan case as the Yamaha engine has a horizontal cylinder. The Honda 3k has a vertical cylinder and is too tall. No one has put any money into it that I know of.

It is not worth it to me to buy a Yamaha and see if It can be done. There is a market for it till Onan comes out with one.

I would buy one if someone else offered a conversion for sale.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:24 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Yep, there are possibilities of putting a Yamaha 3k into the Onan case as the Yamaha engine has a horizontal cylinder. The Honda 3k has a vertical cylinder and is too tall. No one has put any money into it that I know of.

It is not worth it to me to buy a Yamaha and see if It can be done. There is a market for it till Onan comes out with one.

I would buy one if someone else offered a conversion for sale.

Wasn't there a thread on hear about a guy that was doing some portable generator into the Onan case and selling them?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:59 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Nope, he was putting a Harbor Freight Predator in the Generac? Space on a Rialta?

He wasn’t interested in replacing an Onan.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Hi: Tom just sent me a pdf on the new Onan 2.8 inverter generator. You can get him to send to you. Here is his email address.

Tom.j.catey@cummins.com
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Hi: Tom just sent me a pdf on the new Onan 2.8 inverter generator. You can get him to send to you. Here is his email address.

Tom.j.catey@cummins.com

Can you just scan the pdf you got or do screenshot to a jpg file and post it?
Old 06-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Sorry but do not have a scanner. PDF is on my hard drive. Not sure how to post it so everyone can see it. Tried drag and drop but it only directed to my hard drive. Any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Sorry but do not have a scanner. PDF is on my hard drive. Not sure how to post it so everyone can see it. Tried drag and drop but it only directed to my hard drive. Any suggestions?

I will put it up when I get your generously offered by email send. thanks again.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Here it is, boys and girls, could it be impossible Onan that we all figured would never exist!

EFI and inverter generator, 63DB, It will be very interesting to see how the test out when folks get them for noise and vibration. If they have the rumored Yamaha engines, they may be quite nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inverter release_000001.jpg_000001.jpg (266.4 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg inverter release_000001.jpg_000002.jpg (268.0 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg inverter release_000001.jpg_000003.jpg (148.3 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg inverter release_000001.jpg_000004.jpg (319.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 06-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #32
Bud
Platinum Member

Wow, will obsolete lithium/ac. Well, maybe some of it.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #33
Platinum Member

2 big points: It is quieter than the present Onan and it has a Permanent magnet alternator. That is a big deal, no more slip rings to tarnish no more excitation module to burn out.
Any clue as to the admission price?
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Price will be known in 4 weeks according to Tom. I am sure it will above the old Onan 2.8 I believe they are around $2500. for the noisy gasoline models.
I think these new ones will be at least 1.2K higher? Just my guess
Old 06-07-2020, 12:34 AM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
2 big points: It is quieter than the present Onan and it has a Permanent magnet alternator. That is a big deal, no more slip rings to tarnish no more excitation module to burn out.
Any clue as to the admission price?
And no carburetor, EFI instead. Yahoo!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Excellent point. Liquid fuel, be it gasoline, diesel or Propane, pound for pound, carries much more energy than you can stuff into a battery. When you are attempting to maximize your time in the woods, heating water, running the A/C or heating the rig on a cold morning liquid fuel makes much more sense.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #37

Hello everyone! I'm Roland, the guy who does the conversion for the Winnebago Riatla. I have long considered doing a conversion for the Onan, but due to the demand for the Rialta Renegade, I just didn't have the bandwidth to do it.

Well I recently hired some help and they are working out very well, so in order to keep them busy, I'm going to move forward with an alternative to the Onan. But am I too late? Will anyone be interested now that Onan is coming out with an inverter generator?

For the record, the Renegade has been very successful and dependable. An I'm going to use all the knowledge I've gained developing it to design this generator, the RENEGADE OG! It should be just as quiet and dependable as the Rialta Renegade, and the same price ($3500).

If you are not familiar with my work, you can checkout my website at Rialta Generators - Home of the Rialta Renegade - Rialta Generators and my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/whiterol/

So, am I too late? Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Roland
RialtaRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RialtaRenegade View Post
Hello everyone! I'm Roland, the guy who does the conversion for the Winnebago Riatla. I have long considered doing a conversion for the Onan, but due to the demand for the Rialta Renegade, I just didn't have the bandwidth to do it.

Well I recently hired some help and they are working out very well, so in order to keep them busy, I'm going to move forward with an alternative to the Onan. But am I too late? Will anyone be interested now that Onan is coming out with an inverter generator?

For the record, the Renegade has been very successful and dependable. An I'm going to use all the knowledge I've gained developing it to design this generator, the RENEGADE OG! It should be just as quiet and dependable as the Rialta Renegade, and the same price ($3500).

If you are not familiar with my work, you can checkout my website at Rialta Generators - Home of the Rialta Renegade - Rialta Generators and my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/whiterol/

So, am I too late? Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Roland

Probably not as great a market as there was, but there are lots of folks that are fed up with Onan in general, and lots of applications, so I think still plenty of market. Would this be short enough to do the underbody mounts? New Onan at 65db, quieter than that, I would hope?
Old 06-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Probably not as great a market as there was, but there are lots of folks that are fed up with Onan in general, and lots of applications, so I think still plenty of market. Would this be short enough to do the underbody mounts? New Onan at 65db, quieter than that, I would hope?
My intent is to make it no larger or heavier than the Onan it's designed to replace. Based on the posted dimension, it seems quite doable. As far noise level, it should be quieter than 65db. I'll confirm with the current Renegade to be sure.

I agree with you on folks feelings about the Onan. This new one looks like the same old Microlite 2800 with an inverter and efi. With all the horror stories I've read about Onans, I'm not sure I'd be corfortable with any of their products. But thankfully, I don't have a need for one.

Thanks for your feedback.

Roland
RialtaRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RialtaRenegade View Post
My intent is to make it no larger or heavier than the Onan it's designed to replace. Based on the posted dimension, it seems quite doable. As far noise level, it should be quieter than 65db. I'll confirm with the current Renegade to be sure.

I agree with you on folks feelings about the Onan. This new one looks like the same old Microlite 2800 with an inverter and efi. With all the horror stories I've read about Onans, I'm not sure I'd be corfortable with any of their products. But thankfully, I don't have a need for one.

Thanks for your feedback.

Roland

Sounds interesting, hope you can get it worked out.

The Onan is different in one big respect that might make a difference. Robin Subaru that made the Onan engines got out of the small engine business, so the new Onan is alleged to have some other brand of engine. Yamaha bought some of the rights, so might be a Yamaha, but Onan never tells anyone, anything.