Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #21
Site Team

This may already be clear to everybody, but just in case:
The reason remote-start modules (which were once standard equipment on high-end alarm systems) have become rare and difficult has to do with the fact that in modern vehicles such a feature requires complex interactions with the vehicles' CANbus systems. It is no longer a matter of simply bypassing the ignition switch and getting power to the starter motor. First of all, the starter is very likely a CANbus device itself (or is certainly controlled by one). Secondly, the willingness of an engine to turn itself on depends on interactions with various interlock systems designed for both safety and security. Most obvious is the immobilizer device that interacts with the transponder in the key. Then again, increasingly, there is no key or ignition switch at all--replaced by a smart fob in your pocket. All of these systems were carefully designed to be difficult to hack, for obvious reasons. As for hacking a line of code, even if you can find that line, the executable image that contains it is quite possibly protected by a cryptographically-secure hash.

Anything is possible, but pulling off such a hack without the cooperation of the OEM is something of a moon shot, which is why the necessary aftermarket bypass modules are scarce and expensive.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #22
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storysrvwego View Post
Someone really sharp with programming an Arduino micro controller could easily set that up
Thanks for the thoughts. As it happens, my brother is a programmer and has some experience with Arduino controllers. If I can't find a solution out of the box, he has volunteered to set me up with something much like what you described.
VanFan is offline   Reply With Quote