Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Automatic transfer switch

HI all , First of all i would like to say Happy New Year to every one .
I have a 1988 Dodge xplorer . I am putting in a 30 amp. automatic transfer switch to my shore power and gen, so i can turn on the gen. with out going outside . Being that it is the old type with the j box it shows where to put the shore wires and the gen. wires and then the load center
(Panel Wires) . This is where i am having a problem , where are the panel wires they are talking about. Here are a few pics. of my J box and wires in the compartment . Are they with the shore power metal box or the Gen. metal box, or somewhere else. Also is that metal box on the floor the converter part of the system. The pics. of the box to the left is the shore power. The pics. to the right is the gen. I don't see the load center or panel wires that they are talking about. That picture of that box on the bottom what is that , and is that where the panel wires are at maybe. THANKS, FOR ALL YOUR HELP
John1988 Dodge Xplorer J Box 002.jpg

1988 Dodge Xplorer J Box 011.jpg

1988 Dodge Xplorer J Box 013.jpg

1988 Dodge Xplorer J Box 009.jpg

1988 Dodge Xplorer J Box 010.jpg
machado11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:21 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I would say the panel wires would attach to a male plug. One female plug would go to the generator. Another female plug would come from shore power.

The female plug pictured should be the generator output. The Panel wires would be what is meant to plug into that receptacle. Just a guess.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here is what many did on Rialtas for auto transfer switches. Incoming power cord and output plug wires from generator wired into the transfer switch and transfer output to coach.
You just need to connect the three wires (incoming 110v & generator output) to the transfer switch as shown on the wiring diagram for the transfer switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outside Electrical Plug Reduced Size.jpg (102.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ATS Box Reduced Size.jpg (102.0 KB, 6 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote