Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Back up charger

I highly recommend this charger as it charges any type of battery and multiple banks for a reasonable price. I installed one in my system for a back up and versatility in my system.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

ummmmmh......
Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I don't see a link or a photo ....
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I downloaded the PDF from Kisae Technology's website. It has some great features / options like the ability to charge mixed battery types independently. That will allow hybrid setups combining lifep04 and say AGMs. You can also put it in power supply mode.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Kisae seems to have their sh*t together, their stuff looks very nice. Located in Canada so you can get in contact with them rather than the dealing with the mysterious stuff coming directly from China.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quite reasonably priced, you will have difficulty finding a stand alone charger for Lithium at that price. I purchased mine last year for $150, a 40amp model.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 AM   #8
Platinum Member

It is interesting that the website says it can charge multiple chemistries simultaneously, but the manual for the 60 amp version says all the banks need to be the same chemistry. It also says it doesn't charge them simultaneously, but rotates through them in 15 minute increments until they are all full. I wasn't clear if you could put in different termination specs for the different banks, but since they are doing them separately, I would think you should be able to.

The power supply mode looks to be a fixed voltage charger, I think, and not a true power supply which would be able to give true voltage without a battery in line with it. It did say it takes 2.5v of battery voltage to be able charge, so it doesn't look like it would be able to run things as a true power supply, no battery inline, which would be an really nice feature for those with lithium that might be in cold or some other shutdown and need power to get going.

Like many of the newer chargers, it terminates the absorption based on amps that are being read in the charger (at least it has 3 settings you can program instead of just giving you one) so if you have loads on while charging, you may not get an accurate transition out of absorption, or maybe be locked in to absorption if the load is big enough.

I wonder what they really weigh? One place says 5-8 pounds for the various versions, and another says 59 pounds for all versions.

Looks like a very adequate charger for a backup or simple system. The 3 bank setup is pretty different and hard to tell how it would work in the real world. Very inexpensive for what they offer.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:10 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Hard to figure where they are based, it appears. First look would say Canada, but Linkedin says Hong Kong manufacturing and design company with sales office in Canada, and then turns around and lists headquarters in Canada. Kind of odd.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/kisae-technology
Old 06-21-2016, 02:31 AM   #10
Platinum Member

It looks to be a high quality unit, marine grade and works quite well. If you read the instructions, it will clarify its capabilities.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:40 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
It looks to be a high quality unit, marine grade and works quite well. If you read the instructions, it will clarify its capabilities.
Actually, I did read the instructions, and that was where the questions came from about the bank charging method, and the information about termination of absorption and the power supply question.

As I said, sounds like a decent unit for what it is intended to do.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Good catch Booster. The 15 minute charge then switch to next bank would slow things down if charging dissimilar battery types.

It has an impressive feature set and was a bargain at $150.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Good catch Booster. The 15 minute charge then switch to next bank would slow things down if charging dissimilar battery types.

It has an impressive feature set and was a bargain at $150.
The different battery types is the weird part, though. They make a big deal about it in the website descriptions, but the manual says this.

Quote:
UNIT OPERATION
Understanding the Charger
The charger is a three bank battery charger that is capable of charging three battery banks individually. The three battery banks must be the same battery type
Old 06-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I see that now.

Quote:
The charger can charge four types of batteries (GEL, AGM, Flooded and Lithium) and each battery bank can have its own bulk, absorption and float current setting.
Quote:
The charger is a three bank battery charger that is capable of charging three battery banks individually. The three battery banks must be the same battery type.
For anyone wanting a multi-bank different type battery charger that info needs to be clarified.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I think the critical term in the statement

Quote:
The charger can charge four types of batteries (GEL, AGM, Flooded and Lithium) and each battery bank can have its own bulk, absorption and float current setting.
is that it says you can set individual CURRENT settings, not voltage settings like we would normally see being different between the different battery types. Current settings would be useful for being able to charge batteries of different capacities, but of the same type, but do a lot of good with different battery types.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I have mine set up to charge the lithium battery but I also wired it up to the AGM if needed. You just have to change the settings on it. BTW, the 15min cycle can be omitted.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
I have mine set up to charge the lithium battery but I also wired it up to the AGM if needed. You just have to change the settings on it. BTW, the 15min cycle can be omitted.
If you turn off the 5 minute cycle how does it handle the charging between the banks? I saw where you could do the primary battery first and then the others, but it wasn't clear if the second and third were rotated, done one at a time, or together. Or does it do all 3 banks together, which I don't think it could do and have the 3 separate sets of settings, but maybe it can.

It is a very interestingly designed charging setup, and it certainly is a bargain compared to most.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:33 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I've been looking at this one to replace my PD9145 (lithium). The 60A version would give a bit more charging output and probably OK with my existing wiring.

Question I have is, the PD is a converter/charger. This is only a charger. Do I need the converter aspect if I have batteries in the system? Or would I need to change it from lithium mode to power supply mode?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote