Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Backup Camera Wiring Question

I've got a new JVC head unit that I'm going to install in my 2004 Pleasure Way Excel TS. Since I'll have the opportunity, I'm going to install a backup camera.

However, my intention is to use this not only as a backup camera, but also to view behind the vehicle anytime I want - for lane changes, etc.

I've got a wired unit on order from Amazon - at this time I want to go wired, not wireless. I'm going to mount the camera high on the back of the RV, between the third brake light & the upper clearance lights. I'll drill a hole into the rear cabinet, and from there I'll route it through cabinets to the front, down the A pillar, then under the dash to the head unit. Of course, I'll be sealing the hole in the back.

The unit I ordered comes with 26' feet of RCA cable for the camera feed, and 6' of power cord. I want to run the power to the front of the RV so I can plug it into a switch that I can turn on whenever I want to power up the camera.

So here's my question.

The power cable is thin, probably 20 or 22 gauge, and I know that extending it with additional cable of similar gauge for that distance is not a good idea due to resistance and potential for fire.
If I cut that cable down to a couple of inches, then splice in some 16 gauge wire to run that to the front, would that be safe?

Your advice and input is appreciated.

Thanks!
graywolfkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolfkayak View Post
The power cable is thin, probably 20 or 22 gauge, and I know that extending it with additional cable of similar gauge for that distance is not a good idea due to resistance and potential for fire.
If I cut that cable down to a couple of inches, then splice in some 16 gauge wire to run that to the front, would that be safe?
!
Let's say that the camera draws .25A @12VDC, and that you are using 30' of 22 gauge wire to power it. According to this calculator:

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-d...=.25&x=78&y=18

you would see a voltage drop of 2.02% or .24VDC.

It will be fine. Don't worry about splicing in larger wire.

Don't guess, calculate.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Let's say that the camera draws .25A @12VDC, and that you are using 30' of 22 gauge wire to power it. According to this calculator:

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-d...=.25&x=78&y=18

you would see a voltage drop of 2.02% or .24VDC.

It will be fine. Don't worry about splicing in larger wire.

Don't guess, calculate.
Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #4
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

I used my tag light to power the camera. I use the running lights in on position when driving during the day.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I removed the cigarette lighter and replaced it with a dual USB port that has an on/off switch. I'm going to wire the power cord from the camera into the back of this port so I can turn it on whenever I want.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I used my tag light to power the camera. I use the running lights in on position when driving during the day.

this is a great method- although I used the running lights on pass side ---and in the end I rewired to the back up lights...

turns out I don't care whats back there ( might change back if I had a trailer or carrier) when I'm driving

I mounted mine in the center of the 3rd brake light lens- the brake light is still good for visibility- the power wiring runs with the brake light wires

I wanted the high angle for backing the spare tire carrier up against a wall at home- without hitting it

I didn't want to have extra holes through the fiber glass.

for that reason I used a wireless feed for the video- it works perfectly fine last 4 years:

Peak PKC0BU4 4.3-Inch Wireless Back-Up Camera

( I had mocked up a couple of different camera systems incl wired and this had a better image than the others I tried...one was costco)

the monitor I have on a suction mount and when not needed I just unplug and put under the seat

mike

hmm this went to the cloud the right way around:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1588533206
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1149.jpg (202.6 KB, 34 views)
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default wireless backup camera ... location question

[QUOTE=mkguitar ...
I mounted mine in the center of the 3rd brake light lens- the brake light is still good for visibility- the power wiring runs with the brake light wires ...

mkguitar, thanks for the info.
We just bought a stowaway box for our Chevy Road trek. The license plate mount area on the back of the box is 42 inches from the rear doors. I'd appreciate your perspective re possible pros and cons of installing a PEAK digital wireless back-up camera at this location.

Sensfan
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

ah, my upside down picture...

I tried using the plate mount on the van, but I could not easily tell distance when backing

my high angle looking down provides a better perspective

it is the difference between someone waving you back, or holding their hands apart and then converging to show you the distance you can reverse with out hitting something.

enjoy that stowaway!

Mike
Old 07-17-2020, 11:09 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default wireless backup camera ... location question

Thanks again. The Stowaway will be used to stowaway our inflatable fishing kayak and accessories; apparently nobody told the fish about Covid 19 ... lol.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Our blow up fits under our bed- I have it in one of those sterilite bins and it fits under

last used at Lac MacGregor, Val des Monts

My brother has a place there

have a good weekend!

Mike