Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #1

Default battery control panel

So I ordered the new Winnebago Solis. It has 2 105Ah AGM batteries, my concern is with the control panel. Along with monitoring tank levels, it displays battery SOC with 4 lights - Full, 2/3, 1/3, Empty. I’m thinking I should have a specific percentage reading, or voltage reading. Thoughts/comments/suggestions?
Many thanks for any and all input!
SKrejsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Many on this forum appear to have a means of measuring capacity, etc. that is more accurate to the standard level lights. A wide range of different products in use. I added a Victron battery monitor that has bluetooth capability and gives me the readouts on my cell phone. That allowed me to put the physical control panel (where I can also view the stats) in a non-obtrusive place. I could still get down on my knees and open the door to the water heater (from the inside of the RV) and view if I wanted to. But I rarely to, relying instead on the bluetooth to my iphone.

But there are countless good options and I'm sure others will reply as to them.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You can also buy a relatively cheap (<$15) volt meter that you can wire in to your 12v system or plug in an existing coach 12v power plug (like a cigarrette lighter). I've purchased a few on Amazon and all have been accurate to a tenth or two of actuall voltage. More accurate than your 4 stage light display.

But in some ways your lighted panel is good if it keeps you from obsessively checking your power reading (as I do on occassion). And remember, the voltage will drop under use, but recover to a realistic charge level if allowed to "rest" a few hours.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
You can also buy a relatively cheap (<$15) volt meter that you can wire in to your 12v system or plug in an existing coach 12v power plug (like a cigarrette lighter). I've purchased a few on Amazon and all have been accurate to a tenth or two of actuall voltage. More accurate than your 4 stage light display.

But in some ways your lighted panel is good if it keeps you from obsessively checking your power reading (as I do on occassion). And remember, the voltage will drop under use, but recover to a realistic charge level if allowed to "rest" a few hours.

Thing for all to remember is that no voltage reading is particularly good at giving you the state of charge of your batteries. Even rested voltages change with conditions and who will actually turn everything off for hours every time they want to see their state of charge. The only really good way to keep track of both the charging quality and the state of charge is with a shunt based battery monitor. The make life very simple for those of us that have them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #5

I agree with Booster, the shunt mounted monitor I use is from Trimetric and it is currently on my Class A but soon to be moved to my Roadtrek 190.
copemanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote