Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2023, 09:24 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Battery not charging from shore power

I have a 2007C210P Roadtrek and I accidently left the battery switch on and drained the batteries. Therefore, I can't start my generator to recharge them. I can't charge them via the alternator either because the isolator does not work. I've plugged into shore power for several days and while the panel shows "C", meaning the batteries sold be charging, they remain completely dead when I unplug. In search of troubleshooting ideas.
It's a beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If I recall, I don't think the typical onboard charger will handle a completely dead battery. I'm surprised the isolator wont work.. that should work off the engine battery. Does the van start and run alright? How old is the house battery? Maybe the discharge damaged it beyond the ability to recharge.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The Tripplite charger won't start charging unless it sees a battery in the system.

You have a couple option to get it going.

Get a small, cheap little battery like a security alarm 7ah AGM or a lawn tractor battery and hook it to the main batteries and immediately plug in before the small battery goes dead charging the bigger ones.

Jump the coach batteries from your car and then plug in while still hooked up and engine running. You should also be able to start the generator instead of plugging in or get the isolator to work while jumped.

Put a jumper cable (big at least 4 or 6 gauge across the starter and coach battery connections of the isolator and start the engine to charge the coach battery and start the generator.

Of course, if you have an old school non smart battery charger, just clip it on the coach batteries and charge them as it should start charging without issue.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:53 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Thanks.. The only option I honestly feel comfortable doing is the old fashioned battery charger... Buying one today!
It's a beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:21 PM   #5

I have a similar problem. I have new batteries in the coach and van. I think I left the inverter on for about two weeks. Drove the van for about 30 minutes (I do this every two to three weeks). Turned on the battery button and none of the panel lights came on. But the lights in the van worked. Plugged in to shore power overnight, everything worked the next day, started the generator and ran for 15 minutes. A week later the same thing happened. I did get the generator to start after holding the battery button down in the on position. Now when I look at the panel, the batter is at the "C". I also have an old batter charger. I will try charging with that a see how if it changes the situation. Love this site for trouble shooting. This is my first issue with the RV. I'm a new to me van owner.
2011 Chevy Roadtrek 190 popular.
Kellyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:33 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have a reboot button that I have to physically hold down for 1 minute to charge completely depleted batteries either from shore power or starting the engine. After the batteries come back on I can release the button, shore power or driving will continue to charge them to fully charged. You can check to see if you have a reboot button. I don't have a Roadtrek however so it may be different or not at all.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:07 PM   #7

I have never seen a re-boot button anywhere in the van. Looking at the owners manual I don't see anything about a re-boot button. Thank you for the suggestion.
Kellyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:10 PM   #8
Bronze Member

and keep in mind you want a battery charger that will put out current no matter what....not a modern so-called smart charger
SQUASHMIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:47 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Don't forget that with a Roadtrek you have to turn the Contriol Panel switch to "ON" before you plug into shore power in order to charge your house battery.

Mike Bee
97 RT 170
Mike Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:29 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bee View Post
Don't forget that with a Roadtrek you have to turn the Contriol Panel switch to "ON" before you plug into shore power in order to charge your house battery.

Mike Bee
97 RT 170

This only applies to early Roadtreks that have isolators. By 07-08 they had gone to separators and the batteries, both coach and starting, will charge whenever you plug in to shore power.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:39 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I have no experience in Roadtreks but doesn’t driving or shore power charge batteries? It could be the batteries are completely dead if a charger won’t charge them. Batteries do die.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:09 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have no experience in Roadtreks but doesn’t driving or shore power charge batteries? It could be the batteries are completely dead if a charger won’t charge them. Batteries do die.

Same with Roadtreks, but on the older ones they had the shore charger on the load side of the battery switch instead of the battery side like later ones did. That made it so the battery switch had to be on to charge the batteries.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:26 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Same with Roadtreks, but on the older ones they had the shore charger on the load side of the battery switch instead of the battery side like later ones did. That made it so the battery switch had to be on to charge the batteries.
Then if the battery switch is on would it then charge the batteries on shore power or driving? At that era 2007 I assume lead-acid or AGM batteries but it was never said or how old though I would think they would have been replaced. My lead-acid house battery died in less than 3 years in my 2005 Pleasure-way. Maybe I abused them because in over winter storage I let the run down a couple of times being new to Class B RVing and never having a vehicle that I didn't drive almost every day.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:59 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Then if the battery switch is on would it then charge the batteries on shore power or driving? At that era 2007 I assume lead-acid or AGM batteries but it was never said or how old though I would think they would have been replaced. My lead-acid house battery died in less than 3 years in my 2005 Pleasure-way. Maybe I abused them because in over winter storage I let the run down a couple of times being new to Class B RVing and never having a vehicle that I didn't drive almost every day.

The Roadtreks always have charged whenever the van engine is running as that isolator output goes right to the batteries through a couple of breakers.

The switch on is only for shore power AFAIK.

Wet cells came in our 07 and AGM a couple years later I think. Ours came with a separator but we have seen 07 that were made a bit earlier than ours that had isolators. 210s had the change in 2008 I think.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:40 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Electrical issues are beyond me, but he said he left the battery switch on.

Switch on or off, the solution is to drive it? If that doesn't work, is the battery dead?
Old 02-05-2023, 05:15 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
This only applies to early Roadtreks that have isolators. By 07-08 they had gone to separators and the batteries, both coach and starting, will charge whenever you plug in to shore power.
The older setup was good in that DC power was available even if no house battery was present. Also, by having the ability to not charge the house battery when plugged in to shore power, there was no risk to overcharging.

I believe I am correct in these statements, please advise if I am stating things incorrectly
Old 02-05-2023, 05:22 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
The older setup was good in that DC power was available even if no house battery was present. Also, by having the ability to not charge the house battery when plugged in to shore power, there was no risk to overcharging.

I believe I am correct in these statements, please advise if I am stating things incorrectly

Your are correct in what you say and it was necessary back then because the chargers were fixed voltage and would destroy the batteries when left connected for long times. Those chargers were also regulated internally (sort of) so they didn't need a battery connected to them to generate the 12v power so you could get 12v power without a battery in place.

There are benefits to both ways of doing it and detriments to both ways. Getting a best of both ways can be difficult and expensive to do.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:02 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Your are correct in what you say and it was necessary back then because the chargers were fixed voltage and would destroy the batteries when left connected for long times. Those chargers were also regulated internally (sort of) so they didn't need a battery connected to them to generate the 12v power so you could get 12v power without a battery in place.

There are benefits to both ways of doing it and detriments to both ways. Getting a best of both ways can be difficult and expensive to do.
Yes there sure are...

I bought a Battery Tender and ran the pigtail up into the area where my Centurion 3000 converter/charger is installed. When I need to keep the house battery charged when in storage:

Make certain Battery Switch on Wall Panel is OFF
Plug the Battery Tender into coach AC outlet
Plug the Van into shore power.

Cleaner method than having the pigtail hanging out of the bottom of the van and the Battery Tender sitting on the bumper plugged into the outdoor AC outlet in my garage.