RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Default Battery Replacement

Has anyone swapped out new coach batteries replacing worn out ones in a Winnebago Era? Can I do it myself? Any tricks or precautions to know about.
My 2017 Era 70A ASM house batteries are three plus years old and no longer hold amps. Is three years normal for those batteries to last? I'd rather do it myself than take it in for service appointment.

KYRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Sounds like you have a lot to learn, may as well start there. Put in a battery monitor while you are there. Bogart or Victron work. Batteries can last longer than that but it is difficult to take care of them without a coulomb counting battery monitor.

hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Sounds like you have a lot to learn, may as well start there. Put in a battery monitor while you are there. Bogart or Victron work. Batteries can last longer than that but it is difficult to take care of them without a coulomb counting battery monitor.
Apparently I,, too, have a lot to learn, so hopefully you can share your expertise in layman’s terms. I have a 2015 ERA 170A with the original coach batteries that are performing just fine with no battery maintenance from me. And so, what battery maintenance should be done? I just check the power levels inside on the panel. They’re always fine. What am I missing?
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Apparently I,, too, have a lot to learn, so hopefully you can share your expertise in layman’s terms. I have a 2015 ERA 170A with the original coach batteries that are performing just fine with no battery maintenance from me. And so, what battery maintenance should be done? I just check the power levels inside on the panel. They’re always fine. What am I missing?
Pretty much all of it.

Doing a search for "battery monitor" will yield a lot of threads on this already.

I use this on my Safari Trek:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$45, a deal for what it does. It can be a bit of a challenge to set up but you can always post up for help.

There are other monitors out there that are pretty trick and can tie in nicely with a new solar install but they do get a bit spendy.

The key on a battery monitor is to get one that is "shunt based". Pretty much everything else out there is not a whole lot better than the idiot lights on the factory monitor.

Boondocking/dry camping without a shunt monitor is like driving without a gas gauge and banging on the side of the tank to determine the fuel level. Yes, it can be done, but why...
'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYRuss View Post
Has anyone swapped out new coach batteries replacing worn out ones in a Winnebago Era? Can I do it myself? Any tricks or precautions to know about.
My 2017 Era 70A ASM house batteries are three plus years old and no longer hold amps. Is three years normal for those batteries to last? I'd rather do it myself than take it in for service appointment.
I have the exact model and year as you. Both of my batteries were drained completely several times when I first bought it. The problem was the switch that connects the batteries to the van charging system was never hooked up properly. I only discovered that when I tried to use the manual switch to boost the van battery with the coach batteries. The house batteries would charge when plugged into shore power, and they would get a small boost from solar so I didnít notice the problem for a few months. Very long story but I did end up replacing both batteries a couple years ago. I looked at everything I would need to do to hold up everything. I saw how corroded everything was and made the decision to let the dealer to it for me. Best $200 Iíve spent in a while.

It would not be too difficult if you had an extra set of hands, but you will be laying on the ground for a while. Earmuffs for the children playing nearby recommended!
Svenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #6
Bea

Thank you! I’ll definitely be looking into this as I prefer boondocking. Call me lucky that I haven’t had any problems so far.
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Thank you! I’ll definitely be looking into this as I prefer boondocking. Call me lucky that I haven’t had any problems so far.
Lead Acid batteries need to be fully charged as often as possible. The definition of fully charged is 14.4 volts and charging at 2 amps for a 100AH battery. You need to have a way to observe that 14.4 volts and 2 amps. Having a percentage charge read out is important, too.

Battery Monitors

The Bogart monitor does not require a 2” hole to be cut for mounting.

https://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy...or_p_2810.html

I don’t know anything about the $45 dollar monitor. Maybe it is a good deal. I couldn’t tell if it displayed percentage of charge. I think it does.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Lead Acid batteries need to be fully charged as often as possible. The definition of fully charged is 14.4 volts and charging at 2 amps for a 100AH battery. You need to have a way to observe that 14.4 volts and 2 amps. Having a percentage charge read out is important, too.

Battery Monitors

The Bogart monitor does not require a 2Ē hole to be cut for mounting.

https://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy...or_p_2810.html

I donít know anything about the $45 dollar monitor. Maybe it is a good deal. I couldnít tell if it displayed percentage of charge. I think it does.
Yes it does show the percentage. Also the amps going in or out, amp hours available, and voltage. The back light on it fades in and out when receiving a charge. Installing in an out of the way place may be desirable as the in and out thing could drive one nuts. Not too difficult to program values once the concept is understood. The manual that it comes with is not the best, but workable. It's been installed for about three months now and it seems to be performing well.

In a perfect world I would have purchased a Victron monitor so the Victron solar charge controller and remote wireless battery voltage and temperature sensor would all talk to each other but at the time I bought the monitor I was leaning in a different direction on a charge controller. I wanted the monitor in place to figure out my electrical needs before setting up the solar. I did have a China MPPT controller that did not work out so I gladly went with the Victron, a much better unit for care of the batteries than the el cheapo.

'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote