Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Best AGM batteries for my 2012 RT 190/Ranger

Do some same size AGM batteries provide more output per cycle than others?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Do some same size AGM batteries provide more output per cycle than others?
You can check the specs before you buy. But I found most are similar output and spec numbers are grouped closely by battery group size.

The good news is, if your current batteries are not doing well, you'll notice a very good improvement once the new ones are installed.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You will find some difference in specs, but whether any or all of them actually make or exceed the specs you will never really know. I would expect the top tier batteries to exceed by a bit in most cases and always make them, so others you don't know.

If you have the room, some battery sizes may come in "tall" versions from some companies, so if you get lucky on size and space you may pick up an extra 10-20% of capacity that way.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You will find some difference in specs, but whether any or all of them actually make or exceed the specs you will never really know. I would expect the top tier batteries to exceed by a bit in most cases and always make them, so others you don't know.

If you have the room, some battery sizes may come in "tall" versions from some companies, so if you get lucky on size and space you may pick up an extra 10-20% of capacity that way.
Yeah, in our case we were able to fit a pair of Lifeline GPL-31XT which are 125AH into the factory battery boxes, so roughly a 20% improvement over the 105AH Napa 9831DT's that came with the van.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
Yeah, in our case we were able to fit a pair of Lifeline GPL-31XT which are 125AH into the factory battery boxes, so roughly a 20% improvement over the 105AH Napa 9831DT's that came with the van.

Thanks. I do not believe that there will be enough space in our RT Ranger coach battery compartment to allow this. We may double our capacity by adding two 6V AGMs in the back storage area under the bench/bed/passenger side. The loss of space would be an acceptable cost; however, adding permanent weight behind the axle would be somewhat of a concern and would require frugal load management.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:48 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Just curious. If you're going to reconfigure the whole system and are worried about weight, why aren't you going with lithium which is lighter, recharge faster and can be depleted down to 20%? Bill's LifeLines are not cheap. I know because I have one. They are great batteries. But heavy. Your charger would have to be lithuim compatible. Others have dealt with this conversion and could better advise.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:02 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I have Fullriver group 31 AGM since 2013 and they are still going strong. I would likely replace them with the same batteries. https://www.fullriverbattery.com/dc-series-batteries/
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Just curious. If you're going to reconfigure the whole system and are worried about weight, why aren't you going with lithium which is lighter, recharge faster and can be depleted down to 20%? Bill's LifeLines are not cheap. I know because I have one. They are great batteries. But heavy. Your charger would have to be lithuim compatible. Others have dealt with this conversion and could better advise.

I have not considered lithium due to assumption that may or may not be accurate:
> The AGMs are low maintenance;
> Since 2012, our Ranger hibernates in the driveway between December and March through temperatures that drop to or below minus 30 degrees fahrenheit. I do not remove the two AGM 6s and the vehicle 12v; the Ranger is plugged in almost continuously and the three batteries remain fully charged. I understand that lithium batteries don't tolerate cold temps; and,
> Modifying an electrical system that functions as designed would carry certain risks, both known and unknown. In 2016 I asked a RT tech at the factory about converting. He suggested that I stay with AGMs.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
I have not considered lithium due to assumption that may or may not be accurate:
> The AGMs are low maintenance;
> Since 2012, our Ranger hibernates in the driveway between December and March through temperatures that drop to or below minus 30 degrees fahrenheit. I do not remove the two AGM 6s and the vehicle 12v; the Ranger is plugged in almost continuously and the three batteries remain fully charged. I understand that lithium batteries don't tolerate cold temps; and,
> Modifying an electrical system that functions as designed would carry certain risks, both known and unknown. In 2016 I asked a RT tech at the factory about converting. He suggested that I stay with AGMs.

I think that is a good choice for your location and other factors.

Also be aware that the a lot of the scare about discharging AGMs below 50% are greatly exaggerated IMO. The lifespan data, based on how much energy in and out of the batteries (not just how many times they are charged) show that the loss is less the 20% lower for going the 20% SOC every cycle compared to 50%. If you only went that deep 1/2 the time it would be under 10% different. What this indicates that is if using 80% capacity of the batteries allows you to not need to add the extra batteries for capacity, it could be an option to consider. If the Ranger has the same battery cabinet in front of the rear passenger wheelwell as the 190s, you may be able to fit the taller batteries in as long as you go without the slideout if you have one. An extra 20% plus deeper discharges might make it so you don't need the extra batteries.

Your Ranger is probably on a 3/4 ton chassis, so you will have less capacity to add extra weight compared to a 190. A trip to the scales to check front and rear axle weights would probably be appropriate to make sure you could add the extra about 130#.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Thanks Booster, you comments are highly valued.
This spring I will have Mobilelife RV in Kitchener tell me if I can put in the "tall boys".