Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #1

Default Best route for wires from solar charge controller to battery w/2003 PW Excel-TS

I'm adding solar to our 2003 Pleasure-Way Excel-TS, with the panels on the roof and the charge controller in the general area of the existing control panels.

It looks like a good place to come in from the roof with the cable entry gland is by the sink vent stack, as there is a void to the left of the sink for the vent pipe. From there it's easy to get to the existing control panel area to mount the solar charge controller.

The challenge then is to route a wire down to the actual battery area so they can be charged. This is where I'm hoping someone has had some experience with this.

It looks like I might be able to go all the way to the floor via that left kitchen void, but from there it's a little bit iffy. But alternately, there is an open area behind the refrigerator that goes all the way down to the top of the battery compartment, and it's also adjacent to the vent stack area. The one negative though is that it's by the propane burner for the fridge, so clearly one has to be careful of things getting a bit warm in there.

Any advice? Suggestions? Alternatives?
Puggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

my 2006 lexor may have a similar layout- galley and electrics on the pass side, electrics under the sofa close to the galley cabinets?

if you have a vent stack going straight to the roof from the galley,

I would look at running your cabling inside the vent stack- coming out at a level above the sink, follow the drain pipe down and then exit the cabinet near/with the wiring for the ac outlet.

that saves a roof penetration
Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

On my Bigfoot trailer I used the fridge upper vent. As long cables are attached and away from the fridge LP burner this connection should be safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR291887.jpg (768.8 KB, 4 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote