Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #1

Default Carado banff charging problem from shore power

I am needing help and do not know proper posting procedures so am just posting this in hopes that someone can give me some advice.
In March 2019 I bought a used Carado Banff made into a motor home in 2018 on a 2017 Dodge Ram Promaster chassis. It has recently (April 2020) experienced an electrical issue where it will not accept shore power and the voltage indicator will not indicate an increase in voltage even when I am plugged into shore power. The AC runs great, apparently from inverter power (but only for a very short time as we can see the voltage at the panel indicator quickly dropping and then automatically trips off the inverter). And so now the only way to charge the batteries and to run the roof AC, etc, continuously, is to start and run the engine so that the large alternator will provide for power to run the roof AC, etc. The problem started recently when I tested the AC for a couple hours while plugged into shore power. Soon we smelled something like electrical overheating and the smoke alarm even sounded. After that, the system does not seem to accept shore power and the only way to increase the system voltage is to start the engine. Then everything works great while the engine is running and then if I shut down the AC (and the engine) the alternator keeps supplying other loads like the microwave oven, etc, for a day or so.
I do not know what went wrong nor what has failed and need some advice. If anyone can provide advice, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Nickrhds
Nickrhds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Were you able to pinpoint from where the burning odor was coming from? It seems your inverter/charger had a problem. Locate it and see if there are any diagnostic displays or light visible or fine what is the model. Inverter/charge has 2 functionalities, convert 12VDC to 120VAC which seems to work for AC and to use 120VAC to charge the battery, this function is not working.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #3

GeorgeRa,
I have sent a couple messages to you but do not know how to check to see if they were posted. Anyway, my unit seems to be working now. The make and model is CEFC, LW2000-E-12C. After I pushed the black 'reset' button on the far end it seems that charging from shore power is working.
Thanks for your help,
Nickrhds
Old 05-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #4

George, 6 MAY 6 AM Mountain Time
6 MAY 2020
George,
Apparently the black button is for resetting. The inverter/charger seems to be functionig properly now. I was able, twice, to run the AC for up to an hour plus and the voltage stabilized around 12.6 V. After shutting down the AC the voltage recovered to over 13 and the indicator on the unit had 97 % charged. I guess what happened back in April is that the compartment for the unit in the Carado just got too hot. It was a 100 degree plus day in Apache Junction, near Phoenix and the sun was shining on the bare skin of the side of the Carado. There is no insulation on the inside skin of the chassis where the unit is at the compartment. Maybe the unit has an overheat trip function. The Model Number is LW2000-E-12C. Other Carado owners should be aware of possible overheating.
Thanks George for your help,
Nickrhds, aka Dick Rhoades, Rifle, CO
Old 05-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Great, nice to have a working van. Didn't get any messages from you.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #6
Platinum Member

You could consider adding a PC fan with temperature controller to the inverter housing. I have one on my electrical cabinet.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/pc-fan/cnjs7bbbr8yo4su
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R46D44T...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GRE13157.JPG (422.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Good to hear that you are back up and running...

A good place to learn and find out more about your EcoTrek system in the Banff is the Carado & Sunlight Owners group on Facebook. There is a bunch of files and info on there on the first page of the group that you can download print and read. Also great knowledge in the group to ask questions and get help. Most issues are around the Lithium System due to how it was installed and once resolved most like the system. I have same age Banff 2018 as you and after redoing some of the wiring and relocation of the Balmar controller to inside, i have had few issues. They systems are quirky, but when right a very good system at a price no one can touch.

We love our Banff Bus!! And use it often, 16K miles in first 12 months...... Too Bad they ran company like a bunch of bandits!!
rboegh is offline   Reply With Quote