Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2023, 11:33 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Charging LiFePO4 12v using engine generator

I plan on buying a LiFePO4 deep cycle 12v battery to run my trolling motor. Online data indicates that the battery can be charged using the engine generator and the proper charger. The generator on our 6L 2011 Chevy RT came with the vehicle.
Question: would using the generator to charge the LiFePO4 introduce any risk of equipment damage?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 01:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Alternator ... not generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
I plan on buying a LiFePO4 deep cycle 12v battery to run my trolling motor. Online data indicates that the battery can be charged using the engine generator and the proper charger. The generator on our 6L 2011 Chevy RT came with the vehicle.
Question: would using the generator to charge the LiFePO4 introduce any risk of equipment damage?
Sorry about that ... I meantn to say alternator, not generator
Sensfan
Old 04-16-2023, 01:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes. Internal resistance of the battery is too low. Current levels achieved will probably damage the alternator.

It can be done but why bother. Plug the proper charger into house power or an inverter.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Yes. Internal resistance of the battery is too low. Current levels achieved will probably damage the alternator.

It can be done but why bother. Plug the proper charger into house power or an inverter.
Thanks.
I am considering a 12v x100 amp hour battery. In regard to charging time, would it be worth buying a solar panel array?
Old 04-16-2023, 02:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Nope. It will take all day. The best way is a DC to DC lithium charger hooked to the car’s alternator. This can be expensive.

These are just opinions. No one else was answering so I thought I’d keep you from frying your alternator. Others here know more about this stuff.

Look into the new “solar” generators like Jackery or Bluetti. They have what you need. They can be hooked to car altrnators and contain lithium batteries.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nope. It will take all day. The best way is a DC to DC lithium charger hooked to the car’s alternator. This can be expensive.

These are just opinions. No one else was answering so I thought I’d keep you from frying your alternator. Others here know more about this stuff.

Look into the new “solar” generators like Jackery or Bluetti. They have what you need. They can be hooked to car altrnators and contain lithium batteries.
Thanks again. I just bought a LifePO4 12v 100a battery with a
12v 10a AC/DC charger. This year I'll restrict my charging to AC/DC while doing more research on how to charge it safely using the alternator.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Thanks again. I just bought a LifePO4 12v 100a battery with a
12v 10a AC/DC charger. This year I'll restrict my charging to AC/DC while doing more research on how to charge it safely using the alternator.
Is that 10A at 12V or 120V? If the former, I suggest the following:

Buy a small pure sine wave inverter, connect it to you battery, and plug your charger into it. This will work fine. 10A@12VDC isn't going to hurt anything.

Although counterintuitive, a DC-AC-DC setup like this is a very good way to take off power from your vehicle. Slightly inefficient, but usually much cheaper than a DC-DC converter, and easier to get the proper charging profile. You just need to avoid using a charger that overtaxes the system. A charger with an adjustable charge rate is ideal.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:57 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Is that 10A at 12V or 120V?
It is 10A at 12VDC. Thanks Avanti for your feedback.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:55 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Default Aims Voltage Regulator for LiFeP04

These are pretty awesome.https://www.profishop.us/aims-power-battery-voltage-regulator-100-amp-for-12v-dc-systems-including-lithium-lfp12v100areg#msg=%3Cdiv%3E10$%20Voucher%3C/div%3E%3Cspan%3EThe%20voucher%20%3Ci%3EOFFERC0DE10 US04%3C/i%3E%3Cspan%3E%3Cem%3Ewill%20be%20cashed%20at%20ch eckout!#msgtype=success
dashriprock1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:18 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:

\
My 2016 Pleasure Way (purchased used) came with an unregulated connection from alternator to LiFePO4. I frequently saw 150 amps going into the batteries when they were low. Out of concern for the alternator, I installed a 60 amp DC-DC charger. Very happy with that, as I am sure my alternator is. As validation, PW has since changed their setup to include a DC-DC charger for their lithium equipped RVs.