Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Chevrolet Clearance Lights Out

The roof clearance lights are not working on my 2006 Roadtrek 210. Does anyone know what fuse this circuit is on, since it is was installed by Roadtrek and is not factory?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
The roof clearance lights are not working on my 2006 Roadtrek 210. Does anyone know what fuse this circuit is on, since it is was installed by Roadtrek and is not factory?
The clearance lights may have been supplied by Roadtrek but aren't they powered by the engine battery and controlled by the headlight switch? If so, I would think that any fuse involved with this would be in the Chevy OEM fuse block and not the Roadtrek 12V distribution panel.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes they are controlled by the headlight switch. The parking lights work but the roof clearance lights do not. In the fusebox under the seat there is a fuse slot labelled upfitter park lamps, but there is no fuse in it.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The clearance lights may have been supplied by Roadtrek but aren't they powered by the engine battery and controlled by the headlight switch? If so, I would think that any fuse involved with this would be in the Chevy OEM fuse block and not the Roadtrek 12V distribution panel.
They are wired into the rear parking light wiring, so that is the fuse you would need to look at. I am not sure if that one is under the hood or the front seat, you would have to look at the owners manual.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
They are wired into the rear parking light wiring, so that is the fuse you would need to look at. I am not sure if that one is under the hood or the front seat, you would have to look at the owners manual.
Rear corner parking lamps work. I took the 2 rear lenses off to see if the wire to the roof lights was there but I did not see it. I checked the ground on one of the roof lamps and it was good. So I need to find out where Roadtrek has run the roof light circuit.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Rear corner parking lamps work. I took the 2 rear lenses off to see if the wire to the roof lights was there but I did not see it. I checked the ground on one of the roof lamps and it was good. So I need to find out where Roadtrek has run the roof light circuit.
When did the running lights come on? Ours only come on when the parking or headlights are on. I know that because I wired our backup camera sender into the running lights, and I have to turn on the parking lights to get it to transmit. Do any of the running lights come on?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
When did the running lights come on? Ours only come on when the parking or headlights are on. I know that because I wired our backup camera sender into the running lights, and I have to turn on the parking lights to get it to transmit. Do any of the running lights come on?
Yes, the running lights come on. I was calling them the parking lights. I also wired my backup camera to the running lights.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, the running lights come on. Just not the clearance lights on the conversion part. They must be on a separate fuse, but I can't figure out which one.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I just went and checked our 07 C190P and it is the park lamp fuse on ours that controls at least the rear clearance lights, forgot to see if the front clearance lights were also off when I pulled the fuse.

Fuse #18 under the driver's seat. Marked as "Left rear park lamp"
Old 04-22-2017, 12:08 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just went and checked our 07 C190P and it is the park lamp fuse on ours that controls at least the rear clearance lights, forgot to see if the front clearance lights were also off when I pulled the fuse.

Fuse #18 under the driver's seat. Marked as "Left rear park lamp"
Did the left rear park lamp also cut off when you pulled the fuse?
Old 04-22-2017, 12:11 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Did the left rear park lamp also cut off when you pulled the fuse?
Yes it did.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:03 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes it did.
Looks like I have a break in the wiring to the clearance lights.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:29 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Looks like I have a break in the wiring to the clearance lights.
That's a bummer, as that splice is probably someplace in the harness near the roof, behind the wall.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's a bummer, as that splice is probably someplace in the harness near the roof, behind the wall.
I had taken out the microwave/convection oven last week so maybe I damaged the wire. I pulled it out again and there are a lot of wires there but I don't see any damaged. Another forum member (dicktill) sent me some info from Roadtrek that indicated they tap into one of the rear parking lights in the side pillar area. I pulled the pillar cover but don't see a splice there.

I plan to get one of these circuit tracers to try to find the break.

Cable Tracker
Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I wonder if the information that Dick had was for the 190's, as that does sound like a logical place to access on them. Since the 210s are longer, the splice may be wherever they spiced on to get the longer wire needed to get to moved back tail lamps. I think a 210 is about 16" longer, so that may be the place to start.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Actually Roadtrek sent him a couple of pictures for a 210 before interior wall installation. Looks like they spliced it in the area of the kitchen side wall and cabinets.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually Roadtrek sent him a couple of pictures for a 210 before interior wall installation. Looks like they spliced it in the area of the kitchen side wall and cabinets.
That would certainly coincide with your microwave damage theory.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
The wires are behind a thin steel shield behind the microwave. I removed the shield and found an uninsulated fiberglass wall. I put a pice of insulating foam on the wall. The wires run along a structural tube. I hardly touched the wires, so if that is what caused a break in the wire or disconnected the connector, then it was hanging on by a thread to begin with.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #19
BBQ
Platinum Member

Probably the wire was joined by a connector,
and your movement somehow disconnected the wire.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:50 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Probably the wire was joined by a connector,
and your movement somehow disconnected the wire.
Dicktill said his RT190 had clip connectors. I guess the 190 has the connection in an accessible location. Bummer that Roadtrek went cheap on the connection.