Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 AM   #1

Default CO detectors

After reading that CO detectors should be placed at least 15’ away from gas sources, away from windows and doors, I wonder if they are even useful in a Class B. Any expert opinions?
SKrejsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Mine doesn’t meet any of those requirements but if I start the generator with a window open it alarms. It works. Never heard of those requirements.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

A CO detector is absolutely essential in any RV. Even if you don’t have LP, in a campground it is possible to get excessive CO from a nearby generator.

I’m wondering if you are installing a residential grade detector or one designed for RV use?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKrejsa View Post
After reading that CO detectors should be placed at least 15’ away from gas sources, away from windows and doors, I wonder if they are even useful in a Class B. Any expert opinions?
Those are code rules for sticks and bricks houses. One reason is to eliminate false alarms when close to a gas source thus eventual ignoring. Doors and windows can dilute the gas sensing. As far as I can tell CO detectors are the same as house detectors. I don't know of one specifically made for RVs. At least none of my three Class Bs hadn't.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Those are code rules for sticks and bricks houses. One reason is to eliminate false alarms when close to a gas source thus eventual ignoring. Doors and windows can dilute the gas sensing. As far as I can tell CO detectors are the same as house detectors. I don't know of one specifically made for RVs. At least none of my three Class Bs hadn't.
The dual CO/LP detectors designed to be hardwired to the 12V system are specifically intended for RV/marine use. I honestly don't know if the sensing technology is different or not. I had heard vague suggestions on other forums it might be, but I have no definite knowledge. I assume the installation clearances at least are different.

I installed a simple battery-only residential-type CO detector in my travel trailer, and I had to fudge some of the specs a bit. I agree with your assessment of the reasons for avoiding certain locations. I'll add one more: dead zones with little air movement.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:35 AM   #6

Thanks you guys, for taking your time to reply!
SKrejsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:29 AM   #7
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

We were coming home from Florida last week. We stopped over night at a Walmart. Around 3am the alarm went off. Not knowing why I started checking things out. I went outside and discovered th he exaust pipe had been knocked off the generator. The one that came with our Class B was hard wired but quit working. I purchased a new battery operated one from Home Depot. I positioned it where the old one was on wall opposite kitchen. Life saving alarm.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I was only able to find battery-operated CO detectors when I replaced mine.

Now, your next job is to find where the CO is getting from your generator into your coach.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
We were coming home from Florida last week. We stopped over night at a Walmart. Around 3am the alarm went off. Not knowing why I started checking things out. I went outside and discovered th he exaust pipe had been knocked off the generator. The one that came with our Class B was hard wired but quit working. I purchased a new battery operated one from Home Depot. I positioned it where the old one was on wall opposite kitchen. Life saving alarm.
I replaced the wired one with a new one. I also use a battery powered CO detector as a backup.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Gotta havit

One of the guys I work for was sicken by CO leaking into his Prevost coach from the genny- his spouse and 5 kids were also sickened

VERY luckily, someone stopped by earlier than expected

The prevost was built under some other regulation and didn;t have a CO detector

My Pleasureway has a household type which works when tested

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote