Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2022, 01:23 PM   #81
Platinum Member

Doesn’t a Keurig heat just enough water to make one cup at a time? Seems pretty efficient to me. It’s fast too and no fuss, mess or wasted water and coffee. That’s my method.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #82
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Doesn’t a Keurig heat just enough water to make one cup at a time? Seems pretty efficient to me. It’s fast too and no fuss, mess or wasted water and coffee. That’s my method.
Agree. Except for the modest environmental concerns, the Keurig system is hard to beat.

Our current rig has a big, hulking model which takes up a lot of space. In our new van, I plan to switch to the smallest one I can find. With an automatic water filler (which we also have on our current setup), I see no advantage to the larger unit.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #83
Platinum Member

Environmental concerns is probably overblown considering the waste in packaging today. We bought some Girl Scout cookies at a rest stop this week and the packaging for a few cookies dwarfed the plastic used in a week’s worth Keurig pods. Besides, if one is that environmentally concerned you can substitute a reusable pod of your own ground coffee if you wished. We carry one but seldom use it. We found once we couldn’t find pods anywhere in Newfoundland and it saved the day.

The advantage of the pods is you can use a variety of coffee flavors of you personal choice regular or decaf. We carry some milk chocolate pods for the grandkids or ourselves.

We don’t have the super big Keurig with two water containers. It is about a 10 cup on one side container which last us two days without refilling and then we don’t use the van fresh water but gallon jugs filtered from home on short trips or bought pure water for filling. Automatic means lines, valves AND filtration for us. We have a pull out tray under our galley cabinets. You still have to store a Keurig someplace and it works conveniently in a permanent location.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgregg View Post
https://www.amazon.com/ultrathin-fol.../dp/b08dqr5zbq

this is very small and heats very fast. Holds 2 cups and uses 700 watts.
perfect!!!
Vanstertails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #85
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Automatic means lines, valves AND filtration for us. We have a pull out tray under our galley cabinets. You still have to store a Keurig someplace and it works conveniently in a permanent location.
As I documented when I installed the auto-fill, the lines are 1/4" clear plastic, the valve costs $10. Another $12 for a float valve and timer. It is awesome. The water in our fresh tank is potable, so we have no need for an extra filter.

I think I have the same Keurig as yours, also slide out. Lots of wasted space that could be a galley cabinet. My plan is that the new tiny Keurig will be mounted on a little shelf designed for the purpose in otherwise wasted space. The auto-fill is a minor convenience in our current rig, since the reservoir is large, as you say. In the new design, it will make the little unit just as good as a big one with essentially no wasted space.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:43 PM   #86
Platinum Member

This is our current favorite, which we use with an AeroPress to make coffee. We also use this kettle to make white green or black tea, or even hot chocolate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KHPS7F

Drat, just realized this item shows "unavailable" on AMZN. Guess we'll have to scrounge for a similarly good replacement when ours finally dies. (sigh)
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote