Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 03:31 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Coffee From Inverter Power?

So we love our coffee. We tried making French Press in the rig and it works but taking our hand grinder and the clean up involved makes it a bit of a chore. So we decided to buy a Nespresso machine. It’s fast, compact and the pods are recyclable (coffee’s not as good as the espresso I make at home with our cafe-quality machine but it’s decent). The machine works fine on shore power. But when we’re away from the campgrounds, we fire up the generator to use it and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. It will start pulling a shot and just cut off. We found if we unplug the unit and replug it, that sometimes solves the problem and it will work. We have an Onan 2800 generator. With all the talk revolving around inverters, is there an easy install inverter that we could use to power this java machine? I don’t think we need to go to the trouble of installing a big inverter. We just have this one power need. I tried reading about this to figure it out but the water is quite muddy on this subject. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

What kind of batteries and what size is you current inverter? That needs to be compared to the power draw of your appliance.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:55 AM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
What kind of batteries and what size is you current inverter? That needs to be compared to the power draw of your appliance.
Currently, we don’t have an inverter. We have two 105ah AGM batteries.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I'm more curious about why it doesn't work with the generator. Mine does as does my Keurig.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #5
Platinum Member

saw mention of this product on another forum:

https://nowpresso.com/pages/tech-specs

nespresso units might draw 1000 or 1250 watts which at 120 volts is 9 to 11 amps...that will require 90 to 110 amps from your 12 volt batteries ( plus some waste in conversion from your inverter)
if the battery power is not a robust 12 volts and the voltage drops- that will increase the amps.
The nespresso ( or etc.) could have a relay which is not holding- these machines get finicky if interrupted when running through their cycles

We have propane so use a perc, which is pretty pleasant- takes 10 minutes for a good cup- which I prefer to most capsule type coffee makers
Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We use the pour over method, a lot easier to clean compared to a French press and we like the resulting coffee. Definitely not as easy as a Kuerig(sp?) but not too bad, and no electricity required with a gas cooktop.

Iff'n I was an Espresso drinker I would consider an Aeropress. Most reviews of it are quite favorable.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #7
Silver Member

The Onan 2800 generator should have no trouble running the Nespresso machine. You don't need an inverter; the Onan puts out 120 volts AC. We also have an Onan 2800, and it powers our microwave, etc., just fine. The only comment I would add is that there is a delay (usually less than a minute) between the time the generator starts up, and when we can actually use the generator. The Travato 59K has a control panel that shows when power is available from the generator; maybe in your setup you just have to wait a minute or two.
As an aside, we use an Aeropress for all our coffee in the RV.
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I use a built-in Keurig. They have recyclable K-cups now if you want them. Nespresso was another option but difficult to replace when out on the road. K-cups can be found everywhere. With 800ah of batteries and 2800w inverter we have AC power all the time and can brew two 12 oz. cups underway in the time it takes us to fill up a diesel tank at a service station. No mess, no fuss.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
The Onan 2800 generator should have no trouble running the Nespresso machine. You don't need an inverter; the Onan puts out 120 volts AC. We also have an Onan 2800, and it powers our microwave, etc., just fine. The only comment I would add is that there is a delay (usually less than a minute) between the time the generator starts up, and when we can actually use the generator. The Travato 59K has a control panel that shows when power is available from the generator; maybe in your setup you just have to wait a minute or two.
As an aside, we use an Aeropress for all our coffee in the RV.
Once only, maybe 13 years ago I started the generator after a month for it's exercise. I forgot that the 12,000 btu ac was ON, including compressor. The generator started, started idling normally when unexpected, all of sudden.......... the ac started. The generator hesitated by dropping rpm, then was very happy running it's 3600 rpm or so like nothing had happened.

I don't recall how long it took for the ac to start, maybe 6-12 seconds. However long it takes to fill up the 'buffer' in the onan for ac to start just fine Without any add on starting buffers.

Would it do it again today? Someone please assist here: Just how bad might it be for the 15+ year old onan to give it another try? Thanks.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Once only, maybe 13 years ago I started the generator after a month for it's exercise. I forgot that the 12,000 btu ac was ON, including compressor. The generator started, started idling normally when unexpected, all of sudden.......... the ac started. The generator hesitated by dropping rpm, then was very happy running it's 3600 rpm or so like nothing had happened.

I don't recall how long it took for the ac to start, maybe 6-12 seconds. However long it takes to fill up the 'buffer' in the onan for ac to start just fine Without any add on starting buffers.

Would it do it again today? Someone please assist here: Just how bad might it be for the 15+ year old onan to give it another try? Thanks.

Bud
Not sure of your point. Are you wanting to start the generator under those same conditions again just to see what it will do so many years later?

I did the same thing by accidentally starting my generator with the ac on after it had died (back in the days when the genny was not running reliably). It wasn't pretty. The generator ran, but struggled at a very labored & low rpm until I realized what was happening and turned off the ac. I could have also just turned the genertor switch to "off", but it way just a quick to kill the ac which was the problem. The genny never died and immediately got up to normal speed, but it certainly wasn't good for it.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
Gold Member

The generator most certainly should be able to handle this task and sometimes it does the job without flaw. After we fire up generator, after 30-60 seconds we get the “beep” that tells us it’s ready to work but we usually wait several minutes for it to warm up. But even then we sometimes get a shut down by the coffee machine. Was thinking an easy inverter setup of some kind could easily handle the task (and quietly). But I’ll keep ciphering.
The choice of this machine was simplicity and ease of used and clean up (and between this and Keurig, it’s a no brainer). We are certified coffee snobs who get fresh beans from micro roasters around the country. I use a La Spaziale espresso machine at home with a Eureka Mignon grinder and go so far as to weigh input dosage and output yield in a certain time frame. It’s all scientific. So to use any machine or any other method is a step or three down. The Nespresso, when working properly will yield us two double lungos (about eight ounces each) in less than two minutes. It’s nowhere near as good as home but it’s decent. The other methods of aero press, pour over, or french press are good methods but require grinding beans (which is always best when making coffee) and then require cleanup time & water(for cleanup). Keurig does have more availability as far as pods but we have found Nespresso pods just about everywhere and we usually stock up before travel.
We could stop at coffee shops and would do that normally but the pandemic is keeping us from making one more human interaction during the day. We’ll figure it out but thought there might be an alternate power solution.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #12
Bud
Platinum Member

"Not sure of your point. Are you wanting to start the generator under those same conditions again just to see what it will do so many years later?"

Sure, might be fun.

I'm sorry about the coffee freak, Doctor Old, bummer a generator problem. I did not become 'addicted'? to coffee until I was about 50. In the B I've used several methods. Finally settled on 'pour over'.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I love these threads, where people say "We're serious about our coffee" in the same post where they fess up to using a Keurig or Nespresso.

Both of those options make sad excuses for coffee, and given their evil pods, their mottos should be the same: "Destroying the world, one cup of coffee at a time."

For years, we've used an old fashioned stainless steel percolator on our propane stove, works great, and generates no waste other than coffee grounds. Some might argue the coffee is also a waste product, but those would be people who haven't tasted ours.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #14
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I love these threads, where people say "We're serious about our coffee" in the same post where they fess up to using a Keurig or Nespresso.

Both of those options make sad excuses for coffee, and given their evil pods, their mottos should be the same: "Destroying the world, one cup of coffee at a time."

For years, we've used an old fashioned stainless steel percolator on our propane stove, works great, and generates no waste other than coffee grounds. Some might argue the coffee is also a waste product, but those would be people who haven't tasted ours.
I guess you either didn’t read my posts or you just don’t get it....we’re traveling in a cramped RV. The choice for a machine was purely for convenience/space sake. In our home, an automatic machine will never be used. To use a method where grounds have to be thrown out and the device be washed with water when a grey tank has limited space is not what we want. Using preground coffee in a regular coffee machine is not an option so a grinder would be necessary (another device). Everyone has their own methods and preferences. My preference would be to have my espresso machine and grinder in the rig. Obviously, that’s not feasible. You’re a perc person. You like what you manufacture. More power to ya.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Old View Post
.................... With all the talk revolving around inverters, is there an easy install inverter that we could use to power this java machine? I don’t think we need to go to the trouble of installing a big inverter. We just have this one power need. I tried reading about this to figure it out but the water is quite muddy on this subject. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.
Look on the Nespresso for the watt rating. It might be on the bottom. You'd need an inverter that can supply greater than that rating.

The wiring run to an inverter capable of say 1800W tends to be the most difficult part of the installation. You'll need substantial cables on that run.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:51 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I'm a coffee drinker and we're new to RV'ing. I didn't want to bring along my home drip coffee maker because it has a big footprint. About 1 month ago I bought an AEROPRESS to use in the RV. Prior to going on the road, I used the AEROPRESS at home. The coffee was so good, I retired the drip coffee maker and put it in the basement for storage. I now use the AEROPRESS daily at home.

Before leaving home, I pre-grind my beans and put the grounds in a small plastic container.

In the RV, I heat water in the microwave prior to using the AEROPRESS. Another water pre-heat option is the stove top.

Cleanup of the AEROPRESS takes a few ounces of water. In a pinch, the individual pieces of AEROPRESS could be wiped off with a wet paper towel.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I’m not a coffee drinker, but the smell of real percolated coffee in a van—that would be so delicious. With all these newfangled devices you guys use, I really miss the smell.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #18
Platinum Member

And yet another process:

When making coffee, we try to stay away from using too much current from the batteries and stick with the propane to heat water. Just need something to boil water on the stove and you are good to go.

To process the ground coffee:

1a) Portable espresso maker that uses ground espresso

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1b) pod attachment in case you want to use prepackaged pods that I must admit make less mess

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) As far as making a latte, I have tried several and ended up liking this the best:

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/b...ype%20-%20brew

If you ever just want a cup of coffee and use k-cups, this is not pretty but works

3)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Enjoy.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:06 AM   #19
Platinum Member

We use a small electrical drip coffeemaker in our 210P with a 750 Watt TrippLite MSW inverter. I choose this coffeemaker ( a Black and Decker 4 cup) because it draws 660 watts and runs off the inverter. This allows us to make coffee and breakfast using a 600 watt toaster all without running the genny in the morning. We use the propane burner to cook eggs, bacon etc.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:35 AM   #20
Bronze Member

Hello .. Working out the power consumption of my espresso machine .. says it consumes 1600 watts .. IDK if that's allot .. Probably is though .. Will have 2 do the math on that since i want what i use in my dwelling 2 B able work in my future class B .. sounds complicated i know .. Visiting numerous posts so as 2 make a wise choice 4 a Class B