Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #1

Default Computer Reset - Vehicle Inspection

I have a 2018 Roadtrek RS Adventurous built on a 2017 MB 3500 Sprinter with about 20,000 miles on it.

In Massachusetts I need to have the vehicle inspected every year. The inspection relies on data from the on-board computer. Last year and this year I have had to go back multiple times because the emission report from the computer keeps reporting that the codes have been reset and I have not driven enough to get tested. The only advice from the inspection station is to drive it more.

After (4) tries and driving over 600 miles I called MB. The service advisor told me that this was a general issue with Diesel engines. He also told me to keep driving it. Other than charging me $250 to bring it in and confirm the computer was working - he had no other advice.

So I keep driving, no real place to go because Northeast is pretty much shut down because of Winter and COVID. BTW - I am now driving "illegally" because the mandatory time limit on the inspection has expired.

Just reaching out to see if anyone else has had this issue and found a solution.
CAS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Not normal. You DO have to do some driving after a reset. But 600 miles should be more than enough. You probably do need to have done some significant driving at highway speeds so that a DPF regen will happen.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

the more complex computer systems requires hitting a number of "marks"

mileage is one, the others could be temp cycles, certain speeds, start stop cycles and etc- all determined by MB

if these marks are a mystery you can only drive hoping to hit them

with my gas chevs, I've had no such issues even after replacing a senor and testing within 20 miles of the repair and code reset via my reader and iphone app OBD Fusion
The app does display if the vehicle is ready for emissions testing

Suggest you search the web for a similar app which can tell you IF/when your vehicle is ready for testing
Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

checking the obd fusion website it looks like their app will work with your sprinter- check and confirm

you may find that helpful

there are a number of obd adapters for $15 ish

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:19 AM   #5

I had a similar issue with my Chysler Town and Country. To reset the computer I had to drive 55 miles an hour slow to stop and go (think going around an accident or pulling off the highway and going thru a drive through) and then getting back on the highway. It took me forever to figure this out. Chysler mechanics didn't know how and if I took it back to my mechanic it would reset all of the computer parts again.....
Sigh.
Hope this helps you too!
ProfMJMcG is offline   Reply With Quote