Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Cybertruck Charging @ Campgrounds?

This is not B-Class specific (or even related) but thought I'd ask...

If one were to buy an electric truck, would one be able to charge it while camped using the 50amp outlet? Plus... would one be able to simultaneously use the 30amp for the RV (trailer)?c
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:09 AM   #2
Silver Member

You’d need a 50 amp to j1772 adapter, which they make. However, I’m not sure what kind of amperage you would actually see - probably not much more than 20 amps because electric vehicle fast charging is high voltage.
Van_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Someone has claimed and probably has ordered a Tesla Truck. They own a truck camper and are now designing a truck camper for the new Tesla.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
Silver Member

I’d love to see a hack that permits use of the Tesla battery as a house battery when camping plus solar charging.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Someone has claimed and probably has ordered a Tesla Truck. They own a truck camper and are now designing a truck camper for the new Tesla.
I saw a video by Dr Hannah on YouTube. She lives in a truck camper and has ordered the 3-motor CyberTruck with the intent of building her own camper. This is where I got to thinking about using it to tow. But charging the truck at the established charging stations while connected to a trailer may not work due to lack of space.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
Silver Member

I would use an adapter on the 50 amp to break it into two household 15/20 amp outlets and charge from there. Like I said above, you’re only going to see 15-20 amps of charge to the Tesla from a 50 amp anyway because they are designed to take a fast charge from a 220 volt source.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:10 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_Dreams View Post
You’d need a 50 amp to j1772 adapter, which they make. However, I’m not sure what kind of amperage you would actually see - probably not much more than 20 amps because electric vehicle fast charging is high voltage.
You can't go directly from a 50A RV park receptacle to a J1772 plug. The RV 50A is really a NEMA 14-50P 220VAC receptacle that can offer both 120V and 220V power. The J1772 is the connector you plug into an EV and it requires specific signals from the EV to a charger to operate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

One could certainly use the 50A RV receptacle to charge an EV in what is known as Level 2 charging. I do it every day from the 220VAC plug in my garage to charge my 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV. I use an ChargePoint Level 2 charger that is mounted on the wall near my 220VAC outlet. It connects to the internet via WiFi and I get monthly usage reports from ChargePoint.
https://www.amazon.com/ChargePoint-E.../dp/B071YDGJYZ

For an RV park all you need a Level 2 charger, preferably portable, with a NEMA 14-50P 220VAC plug like this one from USA vendor ClipperCreek.
https://www.amazon.com/ClipperCreek-.../dp/B013VNIAEU

There are dozens of Level 2 chargers available. This one looks very compact and more portable.
https://www.amazon.com/lefanev-220V-.../dp/B07VLFV715
Old 11-27-2019, 01:39 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_Dreams View Post
I would use an adapter on the 50 amp to break it into two household 15/20 amp outlets and charge from there. Like I said above, you’re only going to see 15-20 amps of charge to the Tesla from a 50 amp anyway because they are designed to take a fast charge from a 220 volt source.
Going to 120V outlets would limit you to the very slow Level 1 charging at 1.44 to 1.92kW. Better to use the full 220V for faster Level 2 Charging, that can go up to 80A, up to 19.20 kW, but is normally limited by the EV internal system to 32-40A.

Telsa initially used their own proprietary designed Tesla UMC plug. But they adapted the J1772 Type 2 Combined Charging System (CCS) plug on the Model 3.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #9

If it can be done from a technical standpoint, I don’t believe campgrounds are going to allow it.
Jimbo614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo614 View Post
If it can be done from a technical standpoint, I don’t believe campgrounds are going to allow it.
I think you are correct - as that will be the initial reaction by campgrounds. That is until Electric Trucks become more common. Then they might just charge more for EV charging
Old 12-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I think you are correct - as that will be the initial reaction by campgrounds. That is until Electric Trucks become more common. Then they might just charge more for EV charging
Sounds fair enough.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:43 PM   #12
Bronze Member

As a long-time EV driver, I have seen many campgrounds that let people use campground power to charge when crossing parts of the country that don't have chargers yet. Typically it is a big deal to do it, most campgrounds are undersupplied with power if all the of the campsites are drawing lots of power at the same time. Car/Truck charging takes 40 amps continuous all night (and then some).

Perhaps this will improve as time marches on, but likely you will be pulling into the campground with greater resources in a CyberTruck than most campgrounds have. I actually more imagine myself Supercharging my CT and then driving somewhere I want to camp and plugging my trailer into the truck and having the power to even run the roof AC overnight.

The only hard part is that Supercharging is still something that you almost exclusively back into, so unhooking the trailer to charge every 200 miles or so will be painful.
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybertruck