Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 12:56 AM   #1

Question Dead PowerStar LW3000 Inverter

Hello,

I've got a RoadTrek Adv CS (2015) that we purchased last year. The stock PowerStar LW Pure Sine inverter has been problematic and finally is giving up the ghost. I'm looking at replacing it with a comparable unit, but want to see what others recommend. I think this PowerStar suffers from overheating given the placement in the RV, so something with more fans or better sinks would be ideal. I'm considering an AIM power 3000 partly because I need to hardwire into the RV wiring. The AIMS is a 24Volt so that might be an issue...

Any other recommendations that might be relatively easy to swap?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (2).jpg (77.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg image (3).jpg (206.2 KB, 7 views)
EscapePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:45 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum EscapePod!

I have used the Renogy model below for over a year & a half with good success. I'm almost sure that it a product that Renogy does not make, but rather buys and has their name put on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-PCL1-3...s%2C261&sr=8-4

Their 3000W unit has the same footprint as their 2000W so I went with the bigger one just in case of future upgrade. But right now, it is excess capacity for my 200Ah lithium batteries. It has settings for all battery types, so even if you don't have lithium batteries now, you're good if you upgrade in the future.

Read my "Review with Images" on the Amazon listing above about how the unit is larger than listed as they don't measure the foot flange and cable grommets in width & length specs. Also, they provide a nice looking cover panel on the end the cables attach to, but it is wonky to attach and remove (something you must do if you ever need to reset the breaker, although I've not had to do that). Renogy support leaves much to be desired, but still, it's probably better that the models you've listed).

Good luck.

EDIT: Oops, I re-read your post and see you have a 24v system, so the Renogy is a no-go.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #3

I wasn't clear, I actually need 12Volt. Looks like the AIMES unit is 24 so I'll need to find a 12
Old 07-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapePod View Post
I wasn't clear, I actually need 12Volt. Looks like the AIMES unit is 24 so I'll need to find a 12
It's usually pretty easy to find a 12v equivalent model for most manufacturers 24v models. A quick search of Amazon seems to show the AIMS 12v models out of stock. My thought was the brand Ampinvt probably made the Renogy models due to some similarities I've spotted. They are even cheaper than Renogy models, but I since I have Renogy everything else, I stuck with their brand so they could not claim incompatability if I ever had a problem.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #5

I've got a Renogy solar module that I swapped in a few months ago. I'll check out their inverter.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapePod View Post
I've got a Renogy solar module that I swapped in a few months ago. I'll check out their inverter.
Another reason I chose to go with Renogy is their end cover since my inverter charger sits flush with my lower cabinet (barely fit due to being much longer than my old Tripplite). I wanted to mount that side out and couldn't have cable connections exposed.

I partially solved the problem of the panel covering the breaker reset by removing the ON/OFF switch allowing me to use the small opening to reach the reset with a pencil (eraser end) if ever needed. Since Renogy provides a remote ON/OFF, I use that to power the inverter.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Forum member MobileCabin replaced the PowerStar with a Magnum inverter/charger -> https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...html#post93212

It was higher quality upgrade rather than just replacing with similar quality.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote