Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2023, 06:14 PM   #41
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,619
Default

Info from Onan.

Bottom line is there is another version of the 2.8 coming out in February and a new 4000i will be released on April 1. Isn’t that appropriate, heh, heh.

I have a dead 4k KY so that is important to me. My electrical systems depend on a generator.

The original note didn’t copy very well but I pasted it below.

For Cummins gasoline/ LP generators built BEFORE December 31, 2023 1) All Cummins Gasoline/LP generators built by Cummins prior to December 31, 2023, are exempt from
new CARB 2024 emission requirements. a. Only the Cummins generator build date is critical for compliance to CARB 2024, not the
OEM manufactured /use or sale date.
1. 2023 built generators can be sold in California through all of 2024 and beyond. 2) After January 1, 2024, all Cummins Generators shipped loose or shipped installed in vehicles to
California must be reported to Cummins - Regardless of build date.
Я.
Any 2023 built generators can still be used in 2024. California shipments just must be reported.
i. This data will be collected quarterly.
For Cummins gasoline/LP generators built AFTER December 31, 2023
KY - 4kW Gasoline & 3.6k W LP
4kW Gasoline - 49 state only, not able to be certified in California.
3.6 LP - 50 state legal - California shipments must be reported, (Available starting January 1, 2024)
New HGLBA - Onan 4000i Available starting April 2024
4kW Gasoline - 50 State model - Legal for sale in California (Available starting April 2024)
Current HGLAA (2.8kW Gasoline - 2.5 kW LP)
2.8 Gas (A063N52 - 49 state only - Not able to be sold in California.
2.8 Gas EVAP (A063N92 - 49 state only - Not able to be sold in California.
2.5 LP (A063N930) - 49 states only - Not able to be sold in California.
NEW HGLAA 2.8kW Gasoline - 2.5kW LP (Available February 2024)
2.8 Gas (AXXXXXX) - 50 State model - Legal for sale in California. (Available starting Feb. 2024)
2.8 Gas EVAP(AXXXXXXX) -50 State model - Legal for sale in California. (Available starting Feb. 2024)
2.5 LP (AXXXXXXX) - 50 State model - Legal for sale in California. (Available starting February 2024)
RV- HGJAB (5.5 - 6.5 - 7kW) & Commercial Mobile (CM) - HGJAE (5.5 - 6.5 - 7kW)
Gasoline
5.5kW & 7kW - 49 State only - Not able to be sold in California
LP
2024)
5.5kW & 6.5kW - 50 state legal - California shipments must be reported. (Available starting January 1.
RV - HGJAA (EFI) 5.5 & 7kW Gasoline & CM - HGJAD (EFI) 5.5 & 7kW Gasoline
Current models -5.5 & 7kW HGJAA & HGJAD EFI - 49 State - Not able to be sold in California.
NEW LOW CO HGJAA & HGJAD (EFD) 5.5kW & 7kW - Available April 2024
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 02:26 AM   #42
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: California
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Info from Onan.

Bottom line is there is another version of the 2.8 coming out in February and a new 4000i will be released on April 1. Isn’t that appropriate, heh, heh.

I have a dead 4k KY so that is important to me. My electrical systems depend on a generator.

The original note didn’t copy very well but I pasted it below.

For Cummins gasoline/ LP generators built BEFORE December 31, 2023 1) All Cummins Gasoline/LP generators built by Cummins prior to December 31, 2023, are exempt from
new CARB 2024 emission requirements. a. Only the Cummins generator build date is critical for compliance to CARB 2024, not the
OEM manufactured /use or sale date.
1. 2023 built generators can be sold in California through all of 2024 and beyond. 2) After January 1, 2024, all Cummins Generators shipped loose or shipped installed in vehicles to
California must be reported to Cummins - Regardless of build date.
Я.
Any 2023 built generators can still be used in 2024. California shipments just must be reported.
i. This data will be collected quarterly.
For Cummins gasoline/LP generators built AFTER December 31, 2023
KY - 4kW Gasoline & 3.6k W LP
4kW Gasoline - 49 state only, not able to be certified in California.
3.6 LP - 50 state legal - California shipments must be reported, (Available starting January 1, 2024)
New HGLBA - Onan 4000i Available starting April 2024
4kW Gasoline - 50 State model - Legal for sale in California (Available starting April 2024)
Current HGLAA (2.8kW Gasoline - 2.5 kW LP)
2.8 Gas (A063N52 - 49 state only - Not able to be sold in California.
2.8 Gas EVAP (A063N92 - 49 state only - Not able to be sold in California.
2.5 LP (A063N930) - 49 states only - Not able to be sold in California.
NEW HGLAA 2.8kW Gasoline - 2.5kW LP (Available February 2024)
2.8 Gas (AXXXXXX) - 50 State model - Legal for sale in California. (Available starting Feb. 2024)
2.8 Gas EVAP(AXXXXXXX) -50 State model - Legal for sale in California. (Available starting Feb. 2024)
2.5 LP (AXXXXXXX) - 50 State model - Legal for sale in California. (Available starting February 2024)
RV- HGJAB (5.5 - 6.5 - 7kW) & Commercial Mobile (CM) - HGJAE (5.5 - 6.5 - 7kW)
Gasoline
5.5kW & 7kW - 49 State only - Not able to be sold in California
LP
2024)
5.5kW & 6.5kW - 50 state legal - California shipments must be reported. (Available starting January 1.
RV - HGJAA (EFI) 5.5 & 7kW Gasoline & CM - HGJAD (EFI) 5.5 & 7kW Gasoline
Current models -5.5 & 7kW HGJAA & HGJAD EFI - 49 State - Not able to be sold in California.
NEW LOW CO HGJAA & HGJAD (EFD) 5.5kW & 7kW - Available April 2024
The new 2.8 I received from Irvine Ca, Cummins is the 2.8 HGLAA-8303A meets the Ca. requirements. The 2.8 HGLAA-8302A does not according to the spec sheet S-6505 (03/2020) that lists them both. Thank You for the notification.
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 02:49 AM   #43
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorman View Post
The new 2.8 I received from Irvine Ca, Cummins is the 2.8 HGLAA-8303A meets the Ca. requirements. The 2.8 HGLAA-8302A does not according to the spec sheet S-6505 (03/2020) that lists them both. Thank You for the notification.

Does the California version have a catalytic converter on it? I think that will be coming on a lot of small gas engines in the future. Europe has had them on for quite a while for things like lawn tractors, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:47 PM   #44
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: California
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Does the California version have a catalytic converter on it? I think that will be coming on a lot of small gas engines in the future. Europe has had them on for quite a while for things like lawn tractors, I think.
No Cat Converter but does have the Evap control and a barbed fitting for certain installations. The Install instructions on the HGLAA says the if there is a gasoling engine and a existing evap system on the vehicle the barbed fitting remains capped and not required. BTW I have written a separate post on the TRueTrac installation. Here's a write up so far on the Install of the new Generator: In process of replacing the old 2800 KV on my 02C190P. I dropped it first to figure out the replacement of the new model 2.8HGLA8303A. First off, the remote switch and a harness needs to be replaced as it’s a 5 30 ft wire harness vs the 4 wire on the old KV. It was a challenge to reroute the wiring under the passenger side bed, behind the water closet and up to a small passage into the control cavity. The five wire allows for primer function and led diagnostic ability that the old KV did not have. I think later RT models with those functions will be able to plug and play. I got the new Gen lifted up and in yesterday. I used the Retro KV kit. It is a basic 1x1x1 Z bar shape. It’s rather solid but did not have instructions in the Kit. Onan has however good telephone tech support. I had removed the old KV undermount to clean it up and repaint it. I reinstalled it first, attached the Retro Kit adapters to the new Gen lifted with a garage jack. The RT needed to be lifted about 6“ with my home-made ramps to remove and replace the Gens. The new Gen is 22” wide vs 24” and sits 2” lower than the KV. The exhaust kit was hard to find and is the 36” straight pipe kit that comes off the side of the new Gen rather than under the old KV so the clearance is about the same. I still have to work on the connections. The existing fuel line from the tank is attached with heavy weight zip ties to the filler pipe of the RT. Mine has a splice made no doubt by a previous service. It will be somewhat easy to remove the driver side wheel to access and splice a new 4ft section of 1/4” SAE30r14-T2 fuel hose. The fuel connection on the new Gen is on the passenger side low rear while the KV is on the driver side low rear. Running a totally new fuel line to the gas tank means dropping the tank which I hope I never have to do. Likewise, the 120 vac output is on the rear passenger side but on the old KV, driver side. Needed to buy a 6 ft section of liquid tight conduit and also the connector that goes into the transfer switch compartment under the driver side bed. The new Onan has a prewired 3 wire harness 100” long that will be snaked through the conduit. The 12 vdc requires a new 2awg, 6 ft long battery cable with 5/16 lugs. It’s available on Amazon. The ground needs to be 8awg and can either go direct to the battery or can be attached onto the frame. The 12vdc input on the new Gen is on the bottom rear driver side. The old location is top rear driver side so routing the battery cable will be the same as the old KV. The new Remote harness goes to the short harness of the new gen on the rear passenger side. The exhaust is the easiest connection. It goes to the same hanger on the driver side as the old KV exhaust where the body has the exhaust indent behind the driver side wheel. It is a straight 32” from the side exhaust outlet at the front of the generator driver side. I'm hoping after all the effort and the approximate $4,750 cost, that this new Gen starts every time like my Honda lawn mower does on the first pull. It was a big decision to go this route. In the end the original concept of the RT to have a source of 120 vac was a good idea. The old KV was not.
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:54 PM   #45
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,619
Default

Thank you for bothering to write that up. One more burp and my KV is gone.

The problem will be the lead time. It is taking a month to get the install “kit.” They shipped it Fed Ex yesterday. Lead time for the generator is 6-10 weeks.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 10:31 PM   #46
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Calif
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Info from Onan.

Bottom line is there is another version of the 2.8 coming out in February and a new 4000i will be released on April 1. Isnít that appropriate, heh, heh.

I have a dead 4k KY so that is important to me. My electrical systems depend on a generator.

The original note didnít copy very well but I pasted it below.

For Cummins gasoline/ LP generators built BEFORE December 31, 2023 1) All Cummins Gasoline/LP generators built by Cummins prior to December 31, 2023, are exempt from
new CARB 2024 emission requirements. a. Only the Cummins generator build date is critical for compliance to CARB 2024, not the
OEM manufactured /use or sale date.
1. 2023 built generators can be sold in California through all of 2024 and beyond. 2) After January 1, 2024, all Cummins Generators shipped loose or shipped installed in vehicles to
California must be reported to Cummins - Regardless of build date.
Я.
Any 2023 built generators can still be used in 2024. California shipments just must be reported.
i. This data will be collected quarterly.
For Cummins gasoline/LP generators built AFTER December 31, 2023
KY - 4kW Gasoline & 3.6k W LP
4kW Gasoline - 49 state only, not able to be certified in California.
3.6 LP - 50 state legal - California shipments must be reported, (Available starting January 1, 2024)
New HGLBA - Onan 4000i Available starting April 2024
4kW Gasoline - 50 State model - Legal for sale in California (Available starting April 2024)
Current HGLAA (2.8kW Gasoline - 2.5 kW LP)
2.8 Gas (A063N52 - 49 state only - Not able to be sold in California.
2.8 Gas EVAP (A063N92 - 49 state only - Not able to be sold in California.
2.5 LP (A063N930) - 49 states only - Not able to be sold in California.
NEW HGLAA 2.8kW Gasoline - 2.5kW LP (Available February 2024)
2.8 Gas (AXXXXXX) - 50 State model - Legal for sale in California. (Available starting Feb. 2024)
2.8 Gas EVAP(AXXXXXXX) -50 State model - Legal for sale in California. (Available starting Feb. 2024)
2.5 LP (AXXXXXXX) - 50 State model - Legal for sale in California. (Available starting February 2024)
RV- HGJAB (5.5 - 6.5 - 7kW) & Commercial Mobile (CM) - HGJAE (5.5 - 6.5 - 7kW)
Gasoline
5.5kW & 7kW - 49 State only - Not able to be sold in California
LP
2024)
5.5kW & 6.5kW - 50 state legal - California shipments must be reported. (Available starting January 1.
RV - HGJAA (EFI) 5.5 & 7kW Gasoline & CM - HGJAD (EFI) 5.5 & 7kW Gasoline
Current models -5.5 & 7kW HGJAA & HGJAD EFI - 49 State - Not able to be sold in California.
NEW LOW CO HGJAA & HGJAD (EFD) 5.5kW & 7kW - Available April 2024
I wonder where the Flex Power 4000i dual fuel generator fits into this?
__________________
2016 PW Lexor TS
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:28 AM   #47
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I wonder where the Flex Power 4000i dual fuel generator fits into this?
Dual fuel generators are not installed in RVs so it will be of the portable variety.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 01:52 AM   #48
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Calif
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Dual fuel generators are not installed in RVs so it will be of the portable variety.
I beg to differ. I have been looking at a 2024 Coachmen Cross Trail 21xg. It comes with a dual fuel 4000i generator. Actually, I drove a 2023 model a few weeks back. The generator manufacturer is called "Flex Power"? The sales person actually powered it up. Might be trading my 2016 PW Lexor TS?

Thanks
__________________
2016 PW Lexor TS
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:36 AM   #49
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,699
Default

The devil may be in the details on dual fuel units.


First of is what two fuels do you want it to be?


Second is what two fuels it is designed to use?


They could easily not be the same.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 05:19 AM   #50
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,619
Default

Looks like gasoline and propane. They don’t seem to have a single fuel 4000i. Only downside I can see is it appears to not have fuel injection. Appears to be 50lbs? lighter than the Onan 4k.

Advantage for the manufacturer would be one generator can be used in gasoline and Diesel engined RVs.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 01:32 PM   #51
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Calif
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The devil may be in the details on dual fuel units.


First of is what two fuels do you want it to be?


Second is what two fuels it is designed to use?


They could easily not be the same.
https://rvmp.co/products/flex-power-4000i-rv-generator

I just thought with propane no worries about carburetor fouling with gas?
__________________
2016 PW Lexor TS
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 01:52 PM   #52
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Looks like gasoline and propane. They donít seem to have a single fuel 4000i. Only downside I can see is it appears to not have fuel injection. Appears to be 50lbs? lighter than the Onan 4k.

Advantage for the manufacturer would be one generator can be used in gasoline and Diesel engined RVs.

The no fuel injection is a big deal, I think, as it handles the poor fuel so much better than a carb does. Of course it is not suited to propane so understandable they would have to do that.


Is it still and inverter style generator?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 01:58 PM   #53
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
https://rvmp.co/products/flex-power-4000i-rv-generator

I just thought with propane no worries about carburetor fouling with gas?

I can't speak from personal experience, but I have ready on this forum a fairly large amount of time posts from those with diesels and propane generators.


They like the generally less hassle compared to gas plugging carbs, but most often complain about the frequent need to go and find propane.


If you are counting on propane to run the generator quite a bit, and not use the gas option, it would probably need to have a tank that is substantially bigger than the kind of standard 30# one used in B's.


The propane will also not clean out a gas plugged carb AFAIK, as they are separate methods of supplying fuel.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:06 PM   #54
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: California
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Thank you for bothering to write that up. One more burp and my KV is gone.

The problem will be the lead time. It is taking a month to get the install “kit.” They shipped it Fed Ex yesterday. Lead time for the generator is 6-10 weeks.
Got the new Generator from Cummins Sales and Service in Irvine Ca 949.253.6000 and all but one of the accessories ,the straight pipe exhaust kit, from them. It came on a small crate, boxed and wrapped in 3 days. Freight was $150. to Bishop, Ca. The exhaust kit was on back order. I called around searching for the 1/1/4" outside diameter exhaust pipe got frustrated and ended up calling the Shop Cummins folks who found a kit in their Albuquerque branch .
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:21 PM   #55
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: California
Posts: 78
Default

The adventure continues. Finally got the new Onan 2.8 HGLAA 8303A completely installed and hooked up. Checked the oil and had a second look at all the connections, check the oil again. Had all the 120 v receptacles unplugged except the Refer and the Cool Cat and unplugged the shore power. Hit the remote start button and it started instantly. Let it run for 5 minutes then tried the Microwave , no power even though the Gen was running great. Had no power in any outlet with the Gen running. Checked everything. There was no output power coming out of the Gen. Tested the connection at the transfer switch with a non-contact detector. No power. Tested the detector on a garage receptacle. Was/is functioning correctly. Fiddled the circuit breaker over and over all the while, again nothing. Disconnected the output leads of the Gen in the transfer box. Attached the meter leads to the black and white 120 output wiring. Zero output. Got no help from Onan tech support and was disrespected for mechanical ability to read a meter. Had everything 120ac off and shore power disconnected when I started it for the first time. Everything 120 is working on shore power and now Gen is not connected in the transfer box. Gen runs so quiet very little vibration so good, except there isn’t 120AC coming out of it.
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:27 PM   #56
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorman View Post
The adventure continues. Finally got the new Onan 2.8 HGLAA 8303A completely installed and hooked up. Checked the oil and had a second look at all the connections, check the oil again. Had all the 120 v receptacles unplugged except the Refer and the Cool Cat and unplugged the shore power. Hit the remote start button and it started instantly. Let it run for 5 minutes then tried the Microwave , no power even though the Gen was running great. Had no power in any outlet with the Gen running. Checked everything. There was no output power coming out of the Gen. Tested the connection at the transfer switch with a non-contact detector. No power. Tested the detector on a garage receptacle. Was/is functioning correctly. Fiddled the circuit breaker over and over all the while, again nothing. Disconnected the output leads of the Gen in the transfer box. Attached the meter leads to the black and white 120 output wiring. Zero output. Got no help from Onan tech support and was disrespected for mechanical ability to read a meter. Had everything 120ac off and shore power disconnected when I started it for the first time. Everything 120 is working on shore power and now Gen is not connected in the transfer box. Gen runs so quiet very little vibration so good, except there isnít 120AC coming out of it.

When all else fails and you need the odd $tuff that nobody has, look to the Street Rod and Hotrod sellers.


Here is a place that has 1.25" tubing, U bends, and J bends, so you can build anything you want. They are local for me, but at least in the past, have been great to deal with. Used to be in a garage in the poorer part of town but now in the country. Ed may be retired by now so hope they are still great.


Straight Tubing - Mild Steel


Also here but have not dealt with them


https://www.coneeng.com/tubing_and_bends.html
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:28 PM   #57
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Calif
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The no fuel injection is a big deal, I think, as it handles the poor fuel so much better than a carb does. Of course it is not suited to propane so understandable they would have to do that.


Is it still and inverter style generator?
Yes, it is an inverter type generator. Why is fuel injector vs carburetor generators so much better? I have heard fuel injectors do not require gas stabilizers?

Thanks
__________________
2016 PW Lexor TS
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:34 PM   #58
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Yes, it is an inverter type generator. Why is fuel injector vs carburetor generators so much better? I have heard fuel injectors do not require gas stabilizers?

Thanks

Fuel injection doesn't have the small passages that hold gas when not running and cause the gelling and passage plugging. EFI also does a better job of controlling mixture and varying speeds and loads. They haven't made carburetor fueled cars in decades, for very good reason.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:38 PM   #59
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,619
Default

Gotta be making AC otherwise it would not run. All I can suggest is measure at both sides of the on generator circuit breaker if you can get behind it. Bummer.

All previous Onan’s kill the ignition if no AC is present.

The inverter generators may not do that.

Disrespected my ability to read a meter is pretty funny.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:46 PM   #60
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,619
Default

A propane generator is fine if you don’t use it much but it sucks a propane tank dry pretty quick. Then you are out of furnace.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
not another onan, replacement generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.