Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2020, 06:55 PM   #21
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvairguy View Post
I thought about going all solar and batteries but I've changed my mind. When I bought my rig a year ago it had around 700 hours on the generator, it now has 1490. Mine has the 4000 watt generator. I got caught out of state when Covid started and ran it for much of the time during the day. I do have 2 lithium batteries but had not installed solar yet so they charge off the converter when I was running the AC. I ran the AC all day and the max air fan all night.

My van sat for several years before I bought it and I did the seafoam soak and changed the sparkplug and oil. it helped. I still plan on replacing the carb but like I said its run for over 700 hours.

My plan now is to add 400 to 500 watts of solar and 2 more lithium batteries for a total of 400Ah of battery storage. I will use an inverter/charger and add Gen start with the plan of running the whole rig off batteries and should they drop below a monitored set point the Gen will start to power what's needed and then top up the batteries before it shuts off. AC/heat pump, convection/microwave oven, inverter cooktop, etc. pretty much just like being at home.
Bad thing my gen has 65 hours on it and its not working correctly. I think it say way too long. I hope to revive it and keep it but still want to go with big on board amperage for stealth ski area lots.
Theputnams515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:17 AM   #22
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theputnams515 View Post
Bad thing my gen has 65 hours on it and its not working correctly. I think it say way too long. I hope to revive it and keep it but still want to go with big on board amperage for stealth ski area lots.
I saw a YouTube video where a guy replaced the carburetor on a small motor. He showed how he had to "tune up" the carb to get it to work right. I've heard where some people get a good replacement carb first time out and where they have had to get one or two to get their gen working right. My guess is they probably could have all worked had they just known how, or taken the time, to adjust or tune up the carb.

I will say though that I was skeptical that the seafoam soak would make a difference but it seemed to help a bit in my case. forgot to mention that I also replaced all the fuel lines as I found one leaking. That can also cause issues with sputtering.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:20 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
I saw a YouTube video where a guy replaced the carburetor on a small motor. He showed how he had to "tune up" the carb to get it to work right. I've heard where some people get a good replacement carb first time out and where they have had to get one or two to get their gen working right. My guess is they probably could have all worked had they just known how, or taken the time, to adjust or tune up the carb.

I will say though that I was skeptical that the seafoam soak would make a difference but it seemed to help a bit in my case. forgot to mention that I also replaced all the fuel lines as I found one leaking. That can also cause issues with sputtering.

You will find the Seafoam to work much better, I think, if you let it sit in the carb with the engine not running. Mix it to the optional high amount on the can with non ethanol gas, if you can get it, run the genny on it for 15 minutes, let sit overnight, and then repeat every day until it runs better and isn't changing anymore. Then adjust the altitude adjustment to where it doesn't surge or sag when the power goes on heavy.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:59 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Have you seen this new product?

To me at least.

Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:02 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Have you seen this new product?

To me at least.

There have been several discussions of it on this forum lately.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:04 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
There have been several discussions of it on this forum lately.
Again, Thank You.

As one of The Giants here, what is your impression?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-26-2020, 01:06 AM   #27
Silver Member

Quote:
You will find the Seafoam to work much better, I think, if you let it sit in the carb with the engine not running. Mix it to the optional high amount on the can with non ethanol gas, if you can get it, run the genny on it for 15 minutes, let sit overnight, and then repeat every day until it runs better and isn't changing anymore. Then adjust the altitude adjustment to where it doesn't surge or sag when the power goes on heavy.
I frequently find myself where I can buy ethanol free at the pumps. I have enough room under the van to add an additional tank. I have through several times about doing so and using it just for ethanol free fuel. It could be a reserve for the coach but primary fuel source for the gen.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:08 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Again, Thank You.

As one of The Giants here, what is your impression?

Hard to say. Has all the right kind of technologies, but none of us has heard one run for noise or seen for vibration, so no input on that. Also have no idea it it will be better than the horrible reliability of the old design.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:16 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hard to say. Has all the right kind of technologies, but none of us has heard one run for noise or seen for vibration, so no input on that. Also have no idea it it will be better than the horrible reliability of the old design.
So much for that Song & Dance.

I do know that in order to fix my an OEM generator, the Guru that all RV Companies send their hard to repair Generators to (Larry at Oliphant), he had to pull it out & get to what he suspected it was, some little nylon that gets worn down over time.

He said it was a piss poor design.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:35 AM   #30
Silver Member

Quote:

I do know that in order to fix my an OEM generator, the Guru that all RV Companies send their hard to repair Generators to (Larry at Oliphant), he had to pull it out & get to what he suspected it was, some little nylon that gets worn down over time.

If I was in LA I would take to Larry. It would be a long drive from here, lol.
Theputnams515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:45 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
If I was in LA I would take to Larry. It would be a long drive from here, lol.
I don't know.

When you get someone who knows what he is doing & charges a fair price, its a great excuse for a road trip especially when I have a few of them lined up for you.

Kissing Frogs is no longer what it uses to be, we are moving to, or were once hurtling to a throwaway culture.

Add the internet & a lot of the profit that comes with being an owner & an installer has gone out the window.

Out of 6 honest & talented professionals in LA, 4 have retired this year before Covid & one more, is just a heart beat away while he trains a close relative to take over.

Now there is still an abundance of dealerships & tool jockeys that work for them, but the talented, fair priced, jusy bring it in Professionals are becoming rarer every year.

By then I should have a better handle on my own repairs however I prefer a Professional.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:46 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
My plan now is to add 400 to 500 watts of solar and 2 more lithium batteries for a total of 400Ah of battery storage. I will use an inverter/charger and add Gen start with the plan of running the whole rig off batteries and should they drop below a monitored set point the Gen will start to power what's needed and then top up the batteries before it shuts off. AC/heat pump, convection/microwave oven, inverter cooktop, etc. pretty much just like being at home.
Sounds like a good plan.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:

I wonder if Oliphant could do something with the noise and vibration of the Onan?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #34
Platinum Member

He might have some work arounds.

But 2005 we felt much different about generator noise back then.

The units were designed for the times we lived in.

And the commonsense rules of community at a time when commonsense wasn't uncommon & community had more import.

To think 15 years ago our hearing was that much more acute.

And maybe my hearing was so bad then but I don't even remember 100% of these top ten songs of 2005;

1.*We Belong Together - Mariah Carey2.*Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani3.*Let Me Love You - Mario4.*Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson5.*One, Two Step - Ciara featuring Missy Elliott6.*Gold Digger - Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx7.*Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day8.*Candy Shop - 50 Cent featuring Olivia9.*Don't Cha - The Pussycat Dolls featuring Busta Rhymes10.*Behind These Hazel Eyes - Kelly Clarkson
Old 09-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #35
Platinum Member

StarTron is superior to Seafoam for clearing fuel systems.
BTW, I'd stick w the genny as they are reliable over time, but fuel systems are not. Thats where fuel cleaners and conditioners come in.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
I frequently find myself where I can buy ethanol free at the pumps. I have enough room under the van to add an additional tank. I have through several times about doing so and using it just for ethanol free fuel. It could be a reserve for the coach but primary fuel source for the gen.
Someone on the FB Travato forum posted this. He installed a flat muffler to reduce sound and vibration. Here is the link to the item used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

He swears by it. Says the
Old 09-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Someone on the FB Travato forum posted this. He installed a flat muffler to reduce sound and vibration. Here is the link to the item used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

He swears by it. Says the
Sorry, forgot this picture of his measurement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120199696_3261519127288425_5526923608086341128_o.jpg (9.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #38

After purchasing my 1997 Roadtrek 190 during a repair it was discovered that the Onan had been removed. So far I haven't needed a generator - the furnace works well for heat in very cold temps. My Kodiak with 3 solar panels keeps the microwave working well.
Sary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #39
otr
Gold Member

Default Go Solar

We added 200 watts of solar to our 2000 RT 190V this summer. I found someone with a maybe 2013 who was upgrading and bought his 2 6V AGM batteries, 750watt Tripplite inverter/charger and a bunch of cabling.
For us sidetracking the generator was a no brainer, we only use 110v for a limited number of applications. Batteries will not run the AC, a bigger inverter will run the microwave, but for simplicity I just ran one 110 line from the inverter, the fan on the furnace is not a big draw.

Quote:
2000 Chev RT200p

I am having some issues with our Onan 2800 Micro and rather than sinking big $$ into having it fixed I am thinking of going a new direction.

I am thinking of pulling it and putting a battery bank in there and possibly buying a portable genny for emergencies and charging if necessary.

So far I am thinking of possibly replacing the 12v coach with a 6v and adding a second (up to 3 more 6v, 2 in old genny spot).

If using 4 6v two in series as packs, and two in packs parallel to get them all together.

My wifes concern is being able to run the microwave in the boonies. We like the convenience. We will have propane onboard for the stove top, fridge and furnace.

I am a complete newb and have no idea where to go from here. Just some basic ideas.

If I need to since tons in a genny I think I could get away better going this route and maybe even save a little $$. I dunno.

Guidance from you all would be great!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:14 PM   #40
Bronze Member

Hello .. maybe i'm in the rite forum for my ''POSSIBLE'' upcoming situation .. Hoping i can get some insite here .. We R future Class B owners .. BoonDOKinG wiil B "PROBABY" in the order of 75%/25% (25% being @ campsites) .. Like i've mentioned in other posts .. I am a chef and believe i can sustain whatever i can do in my dwelling will ahve 2 B done with the class B RV .. Convection / microwave combo oven (need 1 thats poweful) .. Rotary mixer & espresso machine (i am sure all of these use allot of wattage) but IDK offcially .. All the rest is gas operated (so no electricity consumption) .. All that equipement will have 2 fit somewhere in that class B .. I am in no rush to eat hastily .. I enjoy cooking the best possible meals with all the trimmings no matter how much time it takes .. Not in2 crockppot/or instapot type things .. So .. Essientially i need "PROBABLY" Volt start capabilities large lithium batteries and massive solar or massive inverter .. Anyway .. Hoping 2 get some ideas here