Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 12:11 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Electric Heat???

With all the discussion about freezing temps and lithium batteries...what type of heating source would you recommend to heat the van...I think the Winnebago's 59GL does not use electric for cooking and heating.

If I were to drop the big bucks for a lithium power system for a van conversion, I would probably still have to turn around and shell out more for a source of power for heating? Or is there an electric heating system that would be ideal for a camper van with a Volta power source?

Which combination would you suggest? I'm thinking the Webasto (gas) for heat and the Volta power system for everything else being electric.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

In our 31 ft trailer - now traded in on a B - we always carried one of the little 110v - 1500 watt ceramic "Cube" heaters, and it did surprisingly well in the trailer, so I am anticipating that it should also in the PW. If needed I would place it back in the vicinity of the Lithiums to ensure that I am not attempting to charge them at temps below freezing.

Not sure if there is any better solution. Our little heater is very compact maybe 8" on each side or so.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Oliver2017
Can't beat propane for BTU's per buck. I use the heat strip in the overhead AC for starters, then the propane furnace in my 2015 Winnebago Era., when it gets cold outside, keeps me cozy.
604eholston@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
Bronze Member

We have done an upgrade to our 2015 Pleasure Way XL adding a 600 amp Lithionics battery with a Xantrex 3000 watt inverter. I had read much discussion here about the heating issues surrounding Lithium batteries but feel now that the issue is a little over blown. In the system we purchased the battery charging is shut off automatically when the temp is freezing and the battery has an internal heating pad that cycles when the battery temp is below 40 degrees. Though we have had it out in freezing temps we have not noticed any problems with batteries.

We also added a Rixens, (Espar) hydronic heat and hot water system which we thoroughly enjoy.

The lithium and hydronic heating system was not inexpensive, but adding them to our 2015 B+ RV was MUCH less expensive than buying a new RV.
Olbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
In our 31 ft trailer - now traded in on a B - we always carried one of the little 110v - 1500 watt ceramic "Cube" heaters, and it did surprisingly well in the trailer, so I am anticipating that it should also in the PW. If needed I would place it back in the vicinity of the Lithiums to ensure that I am not attempting to charge them at temps below freezing.

Not sure if there is any better solution. Our little heater is very compact maybe 8" on each side or so.

Brian.
10 amp electric resistant heating pads are all that is need to keep our 800ah lithium battery bank above 41F when temperatures are below 0F. That's 240ah maximum drain in a 24 hour period off the batteries which is made up in an hour's driving with our second underhood alternator. In reality they don't come on and then intermittently until it gets down to about 20F. That is just about the temperature most want to tolerate camping anyway. If you are plugged into shore power the ceramic cube heaters are OK. They also keep the inside of the van acceptably warm in transition weather when nights are cold but above freezing. However, in winter below freezing cold weather camping rarely do you have shore power as most campgrounds are closed.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
Site Team

We always carry a ceramic cube as one of our heating options. We love camping in frigid weather, especially when XC skiing is available. Both PA and WVa keep a subset of their State Park electric campgrounds open year round (especially those near ski areas), so we have plenty of choices. Our van is capable of winter camping without hookups, but with shore power it is carefree.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
...I think the Winnebago's 59GL does not use electric for cooking and heating.
Both models of WBO Travato (59G&K) have a Truma furnace/HW heater system. You can choose to use gas or 120V (when you have it) for heat and/or hot water.

For cooking, Travatos have a gas stove and 120V microwave.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote