Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Electrical dummy needs basic help

Sorry for the long post. I figure I'll get better help if you know the whole story.

Pulled the van (2000 Pleasure Way Excel-RD) out of storage after about 11 months. It's been plugged into shore power the entire time at my daughter's house. Brought it to my place to sanitize the water system in preparation for a Labor Day weekend trip. After a couple of days sitting in my driveway (not plugged in) I discovered the LP gas leak detector is beeping. Gas has been shut off the entire time. Didn't find any leaks but discovered the detector is 16 years old so decided to replace it.

Halfway through the sanitizing process, the water pump quit. It's been making funny noises for a while so I figured to replace it, too. Ordered both parts. The detector came it first and I installed it. The green light came on and all was well. But the inverter started beeping and the battery voltage meter showed 10.3 volts. Plugged the van into shore power and the voltage came up to 12 for a few minutes then back down to 10.3.

Pulled the batteries (there are two 12 V lead acid batteries...24DC hooked up together + to + and - to -...I can't remember if that's series or parallel...like I said, I'm an electrical dummy). Put both batteries on chargers. One charged up and is holding a charge per my cheapo Harbor Freight voltage tester. It has a heating element in it to put a load on the battery and the one battery is maintaining voltage with the load on. The other battery shows 12 V but crashes to 8V with a load on it so it's toast.

Today I got the water pump so I installed it. Then I installed the one good battery. Inside the coach I turned the inverter back on and it seems happy...no alarms and the green light is on. But the LP detector I installed yesterday no longer is showing the green light...no lights at all. I tried to test the water pump but there is no power to the pump switch. I check the fuses and breakers that I know about but can find nothing wrong.

Do I really need both batteries to get any power to the coach? Or have I blown up something else? I'm lost...
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

what you describe is wired "parallel" that gives you 12 volts wth more capacity

here's what you need to do.

get 2 known good batteries- go to costco

( stop chasing that tail)

once connected, check your breakers and fuses

( because when batteries run down and we try to charge them back up a breaker is often tripped or a fuse blown in that process).

your pump may be fine

check the other detectors for dates

starting in 2006 PW changed the DC convertor to one with an integral "Charge Wizard"...these seems to be extending my battery life when stored- the charge wizard can be added on to some older converters- you can think about that for after you get back

while you are messing around, know that a duff battery can put an unusual load on your charging system ( if running) or your converter ( on shore power) and cause damage if the fuses/breakers don't trip.
it is like a ball and chain around your ankle, you can walk, but it ain't easy.....the extra load can be harmful
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:27 AM   #3
Bronze Member

There may be nothing wrong with your original gas detector. My unit beeps when the battery voltage is down. Battery replacement - good idea.
Jim Agile is offline   Reply With Quote