Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #1

Default Electrical problem

2017 Pleasure way ascent. Nothing on 12v side is working although battery shows full charge and inverter is working and can run microwave. All circuit breakers on dc panel are good and battery disconnect is on. Plugging in shore power all circuits work fine. Can't find any breaker that runs from battery to dc panel.

Thanks
rlv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv3 View Post
2017 Pleasure way ascent. Nothing on 12v side is working although battery shows full charge and inverter is working and can run microwave. All circuit breakers on dc panel are good and battery disconnect is on. Plugging in shore power all circuits work fine. Can't find any breaker that runs from battery to dc panel.

Thanks

You likely have a power relay on the battery disconnect circuit. Do you here it click or clunk when you turn it on and off? If not the issue is likely with the relay. The most commonly used Intellitek relay has two small fuses right on the relay, that are in the relay on and relay off wires.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv3 View Post

Thanks
If you don't find a solution in your manuals, you could always contact Pleasure Way customer service. You should be under warranty.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

You have a multiplex system.

Only PW can help you.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You likely have a power relay on the battery disconnect circuit. Do you here it click or clunk when you turn it on and off? If not the issue is likely with the relay. The most commonly used Intellitek relay has two small fuses right on the relay, that are in the relay on and relay off wires.
Considering that the relay is often buried in the coach, the location of the ATC fuses on the Intellitek relay is problematic. It's one thing to examine and replace fuses on a fuse panel but it might be quite another thing to spend half a day accessing the relatively inaccessible disconnect relay only to determine that the fuses are good. For the relay I used, I bypassed the fuses at the relay and implemented them at the switch - clearly less protection but a lot more convenient to check them.

BTW, since RLV3 reports that the inverter is functioning normally, wouldn't that rule out failure of the Intellitek disconnect relay?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #6

Default In-line Fuse

On my 2017 Lexor there is an inline fuse on the cable that runs to the Spyder multiplex board that is covered by some heat shrink tubing. You need to cut away the heat shrink tubing to replace the fuse. Its hard to access but easy to fix.
siduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
BTW, since RLV3 reports that the inverter is functioning normally, wouldn't that rule out failure of the Intellitek disconnect relay?

AFAIK most of the inverters of any real size are wired direct to the batteries or through a separate disconnect switch. The Intellitek is normally just used to run the rest of the coach 12v stuff. I think if one were to run the inverter through the 12v relay, I would want one of the much more robust models, like a full size Blue Sea relay.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
AFAIK most of the inverters of any real size are wired direct to the batteries or through a separate disconnect switch. The Intellitek is normally just used to run the rest of the coach 12v stuff. I think if one were to run the inverter through the 12v relay, I would want one of the much more robust models, like a full size Blue Sea relay.
I don't know how inverters are currently wired in a class B. Perhaps the amp capacity of the disconnect relay employed determines this. When I installed my inverters years ago, I wired them to a Intellitec disconnect relay rather than directly to the battery. The reason I did this on a Prosine 2.0 and a Magnum 2000 is that when wired directly to the battery, they both had a small but measurable parasitic even when the inverter was shut off. IIRC one of the user manuals actually indicated this. I had no solar support so I was concerned about a longer term unattended situation.

IMO, a battery disconnect relay should disconnect everything. With the arrival of 3kw + inverters, your suggestion regarding employing the Blue Sea 500 amp relay is exactly what I would do if doing this now. That said, one nice thing about the Intellitec setup is the panel mounted meter switch and voltage monitoring module. Blue Sea supplies just the switches.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
Site Team

I agree that the inverter should be downstream of a master shutoff. The Bluesea devices are hard to beat. In our rig, the only things on the battery side of the switch are the solar controller, the trimetric meter, and the Trik-L-Start. That way, I can turn it off for storage and all batteries stay safely topped off.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My main disconnect relay is downstream of the solar charge controller. Good to keep solar panels charging batteries but in case of extended under roof storage it can cause battery drain with main disconnect on. The idle draw of my Morningstar MPPT 45 is around 100mA so in one month it will consume 72 Ah. I disconnect the PV charge controller before long storage.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Yes, it matters whether storage is under roof or outdoors. Ours is outdoors, so there is some solar every day, except during snow cover. So, we never disconnect the solar controller.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote