Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #1

Default Electricity shutting off

I have a 2019 Coachman Galleria. At intervals while plugged into 30amp shore power, the electricity in the unit goes off. It sounds exactly like I’m shutting the battery disconnect switch from use to storage and has same effect as to what turns off. It happens sometimes in 5 minutes, other times after a few hours. I can immediately go to the battery disconnect switch, toggle it back to use, and everything comes back on as usual. It has not happened on generator use but only used generator for 3 hrs while this problem has been happening. Sometimes problem has occurred after 4 hrs of shore power. When I toggle the battery disconnect switch to turn on or off the van, I can hear a click in the back of the van and it turns van electricity on/off. I replaced the battery disconnect switch on the in van panel, but it’s still occurring. Could this be a relay or solenoid? If probable, where are they located? Thank y’all.
jbjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Our 2020 Galleria, and a friend's 2021 Galleria had the exact 12 volt failure as you described. The component responsible is a Progressive Industries product called a Battery Guardian BG160. I replaced mine, and the one in the friend's Galleria. No problem for either of us since the replacements were installed. We now carry a spare BG160.

The BG160 has a history of failures in the past several years. They are now scarce, and near impossible to find on the internet. I believe RV dealerships have or may be able to get them.

If you can change the BG160, but are unable to find the identical unit for purchase, there is another model available that functions perfectly but requires one small modification.

The photo is of my unit.

https://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com...uard-160-amps/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050876.jpg (202.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Where is this component usually located at in the class B? Close to batteries or switch panel?

Found the item. It was located behind rear fuse box above driver side rear wheel.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
Our 2020 Galleria, and a friend's 2021 Galleria had the exact 12 volt failure as you described. The component responsible is a Progressive Industries product called a Battery Guardian BG160. I replaced mine, and the one in the friend's Galleria. No problem for either of us since the replacements were installed. Each of now carry a spare BG160.

The BG160 has a history of failures in the past several years. They are now scarce, and near impossible to find on the internet. I believe RV dealerships have or may be able to get them.

If you can change the BG160, but are unable to find the identical unit for purchase, there is another model available that functions perfectly but requires one small modification.

The photo is of my unit.

https://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com...uard-160-amps/
GREAT Answer!
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjtx View Post
Thanks for the info. Where is this component usually located at in the class B? Close to batteries or switch panel?
Our Galleria is the 24A. The electric cables, BG160, etc. are under the driver side bed, on top of the wheel well.

There is a Facebook group named Coachmen Galleria Class B RV. Problems like the one you have and many other issues, helpful hints and such are addressed on the site. I've found many answers to questions, and have been able to offer info to other owners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060242.jpg (198.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #6

Good to know. Thank you. Found the location of this item in rear behind fuse box. I’ll also look for that forum.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #7

Replaced the BG160 and ran the unit for 9 1/2 hours. No **** off so I’m calling it fixed. Thank you for your suggestion. I looked at the old BG160 and noticed dark places on the top green portion. So I’m guessing that was part of the fail on the part. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjtx View Post
Replaced the BG160 and ran the unit for 9 1/2 hours. No **** off so I’m calling it fixed. Thank you for your suggestion. I looked at the old BG160 and noticed dark places on the top green portion. So I’m guessing that was part of the fail on the part. Thanks again.
Glad to have helped.

2 1/2 months ago I was at my friend's house, and was sitting in his Galleria. This is the same friend I mentioned in my 1st post. Anyway, he and his wife were leaving the next day for a 2 month trip around the USA. While we were sitting in the Galleria, his 12 volt system shut down. We reset it and it failed twice more in less than one hour. He drove the Galleria to my house and I installed my spare BG160 in his vehicle. Almost 10,000 miles later, (they've been home for about 3 weeks now) there was no failure and their cross country trip was not interrupted.

Fate worked in his favor. I'm pleased his BG160 failed in his driveway, rather than somewhere in Outwest, USA 175 miles from help.