Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default External Fuel pump for Onan Generator

The fuel pump on my undermounted 2.8 kW Onan generator on my RT 08C210P is beginning to show signs of giving up.

My question to the group is: has anyone executed or considered mounting the fuel pump and gasoline filter externally? Looking at the service manual it appears that the fuel pump is mounted is such a way that carefully using a 1 inch hole saw to cut a hole in the case near the internal pump would allow one to fish out the 12 volt wire to the pump and run it to the external pump and run the fuel line from the mew pump location to the carburetor. It appears that this could be accomplished without dropping the genset.

I would appreciate any thoughts, positive or negative on this.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:36 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I did that very thing with a low pressure pump, 2.5 PSI IIRC. I also put a tee in the fuel line with an approximately 8' off of that with a ball valve on the end. I used that extra fuel line to fill off road vehicles, motorcycles, and the Champion genny that I used in place of the loud Onan,

I originally wired the pump so it ran either from the Onan or the trailer side of a flat four connector tail light circuit that I plugged in to the RT trailer light connection. I simply turned on the parking lights and plugged in the connection and the fuel pump would fire up.

It was nice having up to about 25 gallons of gas for the fun stuff.

It never failed(unlike the Onan) but if it did it would be a 15 minute easy job to accomplish.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 04:45 AM   #3
Platinum Member

This is a post I did earlier.

If it is like my 2005 RT 210, unless someone replaced the fuel pump to an external location, you will have to access the pump inside the generator. I dropped the genny low enough to access the pump, removed it and located the new pump and filter outside of the genny. Then replaced the hose from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the carb.

I later added a post.
I could have cut a hole in the side of the housing, pulled the wire out, and ran the hose from the new pump past the old one to the carb.

I got a correct spec pump from Aircraft Spruce, Facet fuel pump, #40105

You can buy hole plugs that fit various size holes. Or, glue a screen or a patch over the hole.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:33 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Hiya... I lowered the Onan a few inches, raised its cover a few inches, grabbed the fuel pump 12v line, brought it out to a terminal strip, then went with an external pump. Search for "External Fuel pump for Onan", there many others as well. The hole saw plan would be good IF you knew exactly where the wire was, and that would be hard to know without raising the cover and looking ;- ) Cheers
roadbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:18 PM   #5
Gold Member

Yes, I had to lower my Onan back in 2017 when I bought my '08210P. It would run about 10-15 minutes and quit, so the fuel pump had to be replaced. I believe the original location of the fuel pump made it prone to failure due to high heat. It's been five years since I did this project (pm me if you want a pdf on the entire project), and I've had no problems with my Onan since. I run it every 4-5 weeks for 2 hours with a half load. Of course, while I was at it, I also relocated the fuel filter. Future replacements of either is now easy. See pictures for my particular mounting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Pump 1.JPG (55.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Pump 2.JPG (35.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Pump 3.JPG (38.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2008 210P Onan Gen Pictures.JPG (99.4 KB, 32 views)
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #6

Default 1 inch hole location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
The fuel pump on my undermounted 2.8 kW Onan generator on my RT 08C210P is beginning to show signs of giving up.

My question to the group is: has anyone executed or considered mounting the fuel pump and gasoline filter externally? Looking at the service manual it appears that the fuel pump is mounted is such a way that carefully using a 1 inch hole saw to cut a hole in the case near the internal pump would allow one to fish out the 12 volt wire to the pump and run it to the external pump and run the fuel line from the mew pump location to the carburetor. It appears that this could be accomplished without dropping the genset.

I was wondering if you have already made the repair. I would be particularly interested in seeing where you made the 1" hole and if you were able to pull out the 12v power wire. I am thinking of using an inspection scope to look in and see the best location. Anyway, I think you have the best idea and I would like to know if you have executed it yet. Thanks.
Traveler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #7

Default 1" hole location.

Quote:

Have you made this repair yet? I am wondering the location of the 1" hole. Any photos? Was the 12v power wire long enough to fish out? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:14 PM   #8
Platinum Member

At this point I have not had the opportunity to do it. I have the pump in hand.

John
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
At this point I have not had the opportunity to do it. I have the pump in hand.

John
If I attempt I will let you know the results. Bruce
Old 07-11-2022, 03:19 PM   #10
Platinum Member

seen pics of a similar fix, relocation on a F/B pleasure way board.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote