Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Extreme Cold 2015 etrek Won’t start.

Hello,

I’m not able to start the engine and it seems to be the alternator because it is turning over but when I press the gas it is not revving. I recognize this with past issues I’ve had. Also,I did see for a split second an error message for the auxiliary battery. I have not seen it sense.

Over the past few week, I think due to the cold I have been having issues with the auxiliary battery charging the house batteries when driving. Having other issues due to the cold related to batteries in house . I think it is all related.

So right now I think the cold is affecting the alternator? I need to move it or my HOA is going to tow it, because it’s parked in front of my garage so I could plug it in to have continuous heat.

Do you think if I buy a engine heater it will help the situation?
Cryptofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

How cold is "extreme cold"?

Alternator has nothing to do with starting except for keeping the battery charged.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Moisture in the fuel that froze?
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Try jumping the chassis battery
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #5

I had a similar problem last winter on two different occasions when parked overnight at high altitude and low temps. Got down to about -5 F overnight. In the morning engine would turn over fine but it just wouldn't fire. Both times I had to wait until around noon before it would start. I thought it might be fuel so I put in some additive and then filled the tank with fuel that was supposed to have been winterized but still had the problem. I see other Sprinters running fine in the same location so I'm a bit baffled. I have considered getting an Espar block heater installed but haven't found a good dealer to do the work.

If anyone has experience with an Espar block heater, has it helped? Can you recommend a dealer?
Old 11-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default Update

So eventually the RV started when temperatures reached around 25* up from -3 .
I wish I would have though about using blow dryer to warm up the engine because that seems like what it needed.

Since then I have had engine light on every time I used it and there it seemed like it was not getting fuel to start the engine.

I drove it from Park City to Vegas and again seems like not getting fuel to start and sometimes change gears.

I took to mechanic here to check alternator belts for etrek were aligned because the House engine batteries were not doing their job . The mechanic would not do what I asked and said they fixed house charging batteries by jiggling wires. ( which they did not). They just wanted me out of there and guessed my issues could be fuel pump based on my symptoms.

Today the engine not changing gears have to gradual work way into it and eventually change gear.

I there a way to check transmission?

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctucker View Post
I had a similar problem last winter on two different occasions when parked overnight at high altitude and low temps. Got down to about -5 F overnight. In the morning engine would turn over fine but it just wouldn't fire. Both times I had to wait until around noon before it would start. I thought it might be fuel so I put in some additive and then filled the tank with fuel that was supposed to have been winterized but still had the problem. I see other Sprinters running fine in the same location so I'm a bit baffled. I have considered getting an Espar block heater installed but haven't found a good dealer to do the work.

If anyone has experience with an Espar block heater, has it helped? Can you recommend a dealer?
Cryptofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctucker View Post
I have considered getting an Espar block heater installed but haven't found a good dealer to do the work.
I dunno what an Espar block heater is, but a normal block heater installs in about 5 minutes and it two bolts. It does require draining the antifreeze however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptofit
I wish I would have though about using blow dryer to warm up the engine because that seems like what it needed.
No, that won't work. And if it does then it was luck.

The question no one has asked or stated yet however, is what fuel are these vehicles using? My bet is diesel, and you're using diesel #2. The fuel has probably turned to gel in the cold.

Use a fuel additive, winter blend diesel #2, diesel #1 or stay out of the cold.

Make sure the glow plug light is on before trying to start your van.

Finally, if your vans are not diesel, reply back and let us know and we can point out more things to look at.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote